Greetings

kogatana581

Newly Enlightened
It has been a few years since I actually posted on this BB. It is still my favorite.

I trust that all here had a Merry Christmas. Happy New Year.

I have missed the camaraderie and reading about the many thoughts on illumination tools.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone; particularly Sasha, Brightnorm, Size15's, Geepondy, moraino, & geepondy just to name a few. If I forgot anyone, please forgive the feeble mind of this old man.

And..., oh yeah, that beach bum now living in Maui. Ya'll mighta heard of him. He calls himself McGizmo.:wave::nana:

Regards,
KT

B@rt

Flashaholic
welcomebacktm1.jpg
;)

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back Kogatana. Please share some stories of what you've been up to. I'm sure you have some good ones.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
jayflash said:
Greeting back to you from one oldy to another. What was your former handle?

Towards the end it was . and before that, _ as I recall. :nana:
I recall addressing a Mr. Dot (with respect for my elders or is that ancient ones? :p )

Good to see you here again!! YCLO will probably pop in and say hi too.

kogatana581

Newly Enlightened
I did some catch-up reading today. Come to think of it, I didn't see many posts from YCLO in the recent months.

Ying, pop in when you get the chance.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The man of mystery and intrigue returns.

Welcome back, kogatana.

Your real, real world product evals were great.

Not uncommon to intelligent men or the renaissance man, here we see a moment of poetic prose from back in the day when lambda mods, dat2zip mods and BeachBum mods were but detectable glows on the horizon and the Inova X5 and ARC LS were the only games in town.

kogatana said:
I now use the term 'toss' to describe a LED light's ability to project the product output. A toss is "soft and gentle" and from a short distance. That is just about how the ARC LS and Inova X5 perform. They 'toss' a soft, dispersed "down pillow" of a light. It is not at all harsh, deliberate, or forceful. It is casual, unassuming, and willowy. The product is a woman's hand gloved in butter-soft calfskin

Last edited:

yclo

Flashaholic*
I thought that screen name seemed familiar.... :wave: Welcome back!

I do post a lot less than I used to, but then again it's hard to come up with something worth contributing to post that hasn't already been said.

With all the new leds coming out, 2007 will be an exciting and interesting year.

I must say that even though these new leds make the old ones obsolete if you think about their increased in brightness and runtime, old lights are still useful!

Just last night I helped a buddy find his mobile phone in an unlit golf course last night with my Q3J-once-the-premium-bin-code-lux equiped light. Goes to show that even though it has been outdated, it still holds its value as a useful tool. That being said, cool white isn't really suited for grass and trees.

-YC

kogatana581

Newly Enlightened
Good to be back!

I'm in the process of gingerly evaluating another McGizmo creation. It is a gift to staff member: actually it is a replacement for one that I had lost.

It is amazing just how much light this thing is producing in the high setting, but I find the low to be so useful. The setting is about equal to the best of the first crop of LED lights that I tested some years back.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I knew he (YC) was lurking! :nana:

We have an optics expert in the house who has rendered the term throw essentially useless by my way of thinking. I wonder how he would define toss! :grin2:

I recall that disparaging description of the poor LED's back then! :p

I blame light lover for suckering me into CPF but I think he was alerted to my existance due to a post by KT in reference to a stainless steel LED fixture I had come up with. I might still be in the marine industry and tinkering with boat and fixed lighting if it weren't for KT.

EDIT: For clarity and to add to Empath's comment that there is something about a bad penny....... :nana:

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I don't really "know" many of you long-timers but I sure am happy that you stick around through the good and rough times. I hate to see long timer's disappear and I love to see them come back! Thank you long timer guys and gals for making CPF what it is!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Koga. I'm still lurking here but buying little :lolsign: . I've thought of you and light lover often. Glad you see you drop in.

kogatana581

Newly Enlightened
Dana,
Good to hear from you as well. I knew you back then as "phred."

I haven't heard from lightlover for quite sometime.