NUWAI 5 WATTER NEED CREE PILL

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck nanotech17:)

I got not really much responses:whistle:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/14426,

So far I can help you, that you can unscrew the silver ring on top of the star. Then the heatsink with the star and the driver will come out of the body.
It's not epoxied in the body. After that you can reach the switch rubber with the plastic insert.
I shortend the plastic pin about 2mm. It effects that the pressure to activate the switch will be harder, so no more accidental on.:)

Then I bored out the tube to fit one LiIon18650 cell. It works great with this driver with loooong runtime.
Next week, when I will get my LuxV WX0S I will swap the Led.
The problem is, with this driver you can't use a Cree, due to the lower vf.
The only chance I see is to swap the complete LE but I want to stay with the stock driver.

I hope it helps a little.

Best regards

_____
Tom

arty

Enlightened
I just got one of these in the mail. The central spot measures about 1200 lux at 1 meter - pretty bright.
The light came with 2 Duracells at 60%. The full lux reading came with some new Surefire batteries that tested 100%. Even with the batteries that came in the light, the central spot measured over 1100 lux.
It has a beam with a wide spill, but not nearly as wide as a Surefire L4 - doesn't seem quite as bright, but obviously brighter than a 3W B&G insert in a 6P.

Is there an easy way to get to the switch without taking the head apart?

The switch is very easy to turn on. But, I can't see how you could turn it on in the case, if you inserted it properly.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
arty said:
Is there an easy way to get to the switch without taking the head apart?

The switch is very easy to turn on. But, I can't see how you could turn it on in the case, if you inserted it properly.

No arty. But it's very easy. Unscrew the head and the silver ring and all will fall out of the body. Then press on the rubber and you'll have the switch-pin with rubber inside the tube.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention. In addition to your Lux-measurement, the regulation seems to be a step up converter with a very flat line. Specially with one RCR-cell. I measured at the Led with 2xprimarys 6,53Volts on high. With 1xRCR LiIon 6,3 Volts.
Runtimetest: about 1 hour 45 minutes on high
3 hours 30 minutes on mid and 7 hours on low with one 18650 cell.:rock:The brightness looks the same like 2x primarys.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
nanotech17 said:
i try to unscrew the silver ring on top of the star but still failed.
it was so tight that i had to wrap my hand with the cloth but that ring is so tight .:scowl:

I used a simple tongs for tubes (waterlines). I was tight but it works. Holding the light in one hand and using the tongs with the other. You can also use a vise for holding the light.

Best regards

____
Tom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend taking soem bicycle inner tube pulling it tight graspign it with pliers and twisting as for the body use mor einner tube to clamp it marr free.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put it in a baggie and in some boiling water for a few minutes. I've taken apart 3 Nuwais and every thread except the cap has glue on it.

arty

Enlightened
This light has a hair trigger - it is lighter than a tuned Colt 45...
I turned it on when I picked it up!
I am going to have to alter the switch or take care with the light, and keep my fingers away from the switch - unless I intend to keep it on.
It is like a flashlight version of a Glock.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
arty said:
This light has a hair trigger - it is lighter than a tuned Colt 45...
I turned it on when I picked it up!

That's true:lolsign:.
Also be carefull when you store it in the beltholster, sometimes it's enough to activate the switch.
But after my described mod it works safetly. It needs to pull down the switch with the finger/thumb tip. It's impossible to activate the switch with the whole hand or something else unless the pressure works inside the tube.:)

Best regards

____
Tom

arty

Enlightened
Thanks for the advice - Tom.
I wouldn't have thought that you could turn on the light in the holster, given the plastic tube. I am guessing that this could occur if the switch faced up while you applied pressure on the snap that closes the flap.
REgards,
Arty

big beam

Enlightened
Hi NT17
that looks like a nuwai 352
I have one and if you want to bring it to life try 2 rechargable 123's
1.24 ma H
.68 ma M
.37 ma L
The driver seems very robust but I only use high as a burst mode.
BTW mine has an X bin :drool:
DON

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
big beam said:
Hi NT17
that looks like a nuwai 352
I have one and if you want to bring it to life try 2 rechargable 123's
1.24 ma H
.68 ma M
.37 ma L
The driver seems very robust but I only use high as a burst mode.
BTW mine has an X bin :drool:
DON

I guess you mean Ampere, not ma. Otherwise it would be a "weak" life:whistle:

Best regards

____
Tom

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,
I managed to get it open after i follow your advise.
Thanks very much to Tom,Don,Arty,Nake,65535.
You guys have been great help.
The reason i wanted to change to Cree LED is because this torch consume batteries even without switch it ON :mad:
And now i followed Tom's advice by cutting 2mm of the switch plastic pin and insert 1 protected AW 17670 and i shall wait for the results.Surely i will find a place where i can bore it to accept 18650 both un and protected cells.
i will update you guys.:)

Mike abcd

Enlightened
Long John said:
I forgot to mention. In addition to your Lux-measurement, the regulation seems to be a step up converter with a very flat line. Specially with one RCR-cell. I measured at the Led with 2xprimarys 6,53Volts on high. With 1xRCR LiIon 6,3 Volts.
Runtimetest: about 1 hour 45 minutes on high
3 hours 30 minutes on mid and 7 hours on low with one 18650 cell.:rock:The brightness looks the same like 2x primarys.

Best regards

_____
Tom

If it has a Lux V and is designed for 2 primaries Li or less, you're probably right about the step up converter.

That probably makes it a bad host for a Cree upgrade. A single RCR123 or 18650 will probably result in it running most of the time in drirect drive. Two RCR123s would probably kill the Cree really fast.

Mike

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I swaped the star in the Nuwai (it's a VYAT, so no wonder about the blueish tint and weak brightness:thumbsdow) to a WX0S. What can I say.........:rock:...:twothumbs...:thumbsup:...:D.

Much much brighter with a much nicer tint:thumbsup:.

The first picture is before the mod. Distance to the door about 18m, one LiIon18650 cell on high:

135_3584.jpg

Now with the WX0S, same cell, distance and high setting:

135_3586.jpg

It's a great user yet with very good brightness, tint and runtime, not to forget the free Lumens.:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
nanotech17 said:
Tom,

Where did you purchased the WX0S?
How much is it?

Hello nanotech17, I got it from a friend:). If I remember right, you can get them from member "PhotonFanatic", price range was about 38$.

I can highly recommend this mod. After it, you'll have a complete another light:grin2:. Besides the overall output is an high increase of throw. Much brighter and I guess due to the lower vf of the WX0S more runtime.:twothumbs

Best regards

_____
Tom