Just bought an XO3....tell me why I should keep it.....

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I got two inova X5's for christmas so I just returned one to Target. Their return policy sucks if you don't have a receipt....no store credit you have to immediately buy something else of = or greater value from the same dept.

Anyhow, I couldn't decide on the XO and the XO3. I thought the XO would be too similar to the X5, so went with the XO3 thinking it was gonna blow it away. It's still in the package, but I was playing with it and comparing to my X5 in a dark bathroom and it doesn't seem much brighter. What's going on here????

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are comparing two entirely different typesof beams, and trying to compare brightness inside of a room. It wont work that way. The X03 has a lot more throw than the X5. The X5 has a lot of flood at a close distance. The X03 has a bright,tight beam that has a lot of distance to it. They are not comparable at all.

Take them outside and try them at night and you will see the difference. They are both excellant for what they were designed for. I have them both and like them both a lot.

Check out Flashlight reviews for a good look at the two lights output and throw.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/

Last edited:

GreySave

Enlightened
I have an XO3. It is designed to be all throw. No useable side spill whatsoever. That being said, it will give you decent throw. How is it useful with no side spill? For me, it is useful for exactly that reason. I assist in urban search and rescue for both people and pets. The lack of spill means that I can shine the light directly down a driveway without illuminating the houses that are within a few feet of the driveway. Much less disturbing to people who might otherwise think I was shining the light directly into their home. If you have a use for that type of light, then it is a good purchase. If you like or require useful side spill, then the XO3 was the wrong choice. I do not have an XO, but if memory serves me correctly it is soemwhat of a cross between the X5 and XO3. More throw than the X5 and much more useable side spill than the XO3. XO owner can confirm or correct as needed.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, return the XO3 and get the XO. I have an XO and an X5, and they are very different lights. First the XO actually has a hotspot, which the X5 doesn't. Also, the XO is regulated. The XO3 is just too big with too limited a beam to be useful to me. However, I love my XO; it's the light I carry with me at work.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
It's still in the package, but I went outside and see what you mean. It throws just about as far as my Brinkmann Maxfire, with a whiter light of course, but the spill sucks....it's just a bright tight spot. I guess it has it's uses, but I am gonna return it for the XO!!!!

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also recommend returning it for the XO which is, in my opinion, a more well rounded light. The beam from the XO3 reaches a bit further but not far enough to justify the added size and weight.

-Goatee

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Inova XO3 very much for the beam that it has. But I'd also agree that the new model Inova XO is a more well rounded light. It has good throw and nice spill which sounds like what you want. The smaller size is also nice in comparison to the XO3.

X Racer

Enlightened
I have had all three of the lights mentioned. If I could have only one of them, it would be the new X0 with the reflector for sure... Its just a much more well rounded light...

JAYBIRD1

Newly Enlightened
I have the t-3 very brite and white, i looked at some at target and they all seemed to be a very blue tint, Try a t-3 or even the t-2 which i also have with a great run time of about 3-4 hrs.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Well just back from target and I exchanged the X03 for an XO. I have to admit the beam is much more usable but it doesn't seem to out-throw the X5 by much, and doesn't seem all that impressive.

Getting frustrated I guess, I expected more from these LED lights. I still find myself going for my Brinkmann Maxfire LX on my nightstand for it's throw / spill combo, even though it's probably a bit overkill for indoor applications, and the light is an ugly yellow.

I want at least 1.5 hours of regulated runtime but runtime isn't THAT important to me since I rarely use the lights for more than 5 mins at a time. My maxfire is is a few months old and gets short use every few nights and it is still going strong. I want an all purpose LED light with good throw.

The Fenix p1D CE comes to mind and so does the L4. Since the L4 is a bit pricy for me, perhaps I will return the X0 and get the fenix. If Fifth unit was still up and running I would order one of those BLIMPS but oh well....

Thanks for all your help and sorry I am so picky!

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
UPDATE:

I decided to keep the XO and I am really liking it. It performs much better out of the packaging than when I was testing it. It definately has more spill than the X5 and much more throw and a nice hotspot. The XO is making me hate my X5 now and really renders the XO3 pretty useless for most applications!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the XO2, it has the same power(or more than the XO3) but it's smaller.
The new the XO is least powerful of the bunch, but some folks prefer a reflector...

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
I have always liked the throw of my X03 and even use it on the handlebars of my bike. When I decided I wanted to get some spill out of it I made my own beamshaper from a lens filter accessory from my Scorpion. It flips open for throw close it and it's a wall of light.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
keithhr's right, dont keep it
give it to me! :grin2:

Bill, I think we'd both be happier if you simply gave it to me. For I would greatly appreciate your kind gesture and you would undoubtedly sleep soo much better at night knowing that you had done such a kind deed for a justly deserving fellow such as myself.
:rock: