P1 Battery Options

SayHey

Newly Enlightened
Received a Fenix P1 for Christmas (I know, not the hottest model now, but I'm happy with it!), and was wondering about the preferred power source among the more knowledgeable. I'm presently using Titanium batteries in standard form. Are rechargeables a better option if it's used frequently? If so, what are my best choices? Anything I should avoid? Any tips will be most welcomed.....

Newuser01

Enlightened
I do not own a P1. But I have studied P1 extensively and can reflect on a lot of posts here on CPF. Abou 1/2 of protected cells will not fit P1, and you will have to do some research on which cells actually do by searching.
Non-protected cells are fine but P1 will get hot!!!
So recommended to use Non-protected in short bursts. Not leaving it on continuously than you will be fine. If you look thru these post, you should be able to fine some cells.

If its only used occationally, primery cells will serve you well.

Regards.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
And don't put the battery in backward, as it will fry the light and you will see smoke. Trust me on this one. :laughing:

Thanks to 4Sevens for the free replacement (to which I was not entitled).

cheers

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
The new protected 3.7 RCR 123 from AW fit in the tube. I've put a piece of paper around the batterie to avoid rattling in the tube.

Michael

Ivanhoe

Newly Enlightened
I've used both Battery station's protected RCR123's and Lighthound's protected RCR123's with no problems.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newuser01 said:
I do not own a P1. But I have studied P1 extensively and can reflect on a lot of posts here on CPF. Abou 1/2 of protected cells will not fit P1, and you will have to do some research on which cells actually do by searching.
Non-protected cells are fine but P1 will get hot!!!
So recommended to use Non-protected in short bursts. Not leaving it on continuously than you will be fine. If you look thru these post, you should be able to fine some cells.

If its only used occationally, primery cells will serve you well.

Regards.

What do non-protected have to do with the light getting hot? They and the protected both charge up to 4.2V. :confused:

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Ivanhoe said:
I've used both Battery station's protected RCR123's and Lighthound's protected RCR123's with no problems.
The P1 was designed for use with primary 123's. So best to use the 3.0V LiIon 'direct replacement' type. Drawback: You have to use the special charger (my Pila charger works, but doesn't give them a full charge - then the protection kicks in and it looks like an open circuit to the charger).

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regular CR123s provide less light, but longer run time (IIRC) than LiIon RCR123 cells. If you know how you'll use the light beforehand you can load it with the appropriate cells. If you hold the P1 in your bare hand while using, it shouldn't get too hot to damage it, I believe.