P1D-CE grip enhancement

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to enhance the grip on my P1D since I found it to be kinda slippery sometimes. I used some heat shrink tubing and cut it into 3 strips. It made a big difference.

We were hitting golf balls into the lake behind my sister's house in the dark last night using only this light for illumination. My nephew had brought out a big 6V hand held lantern to use, and when I turned this on, the lantern beam totally disappeared, so we just used the Fenix. They were all pretty amazed. The super bright spill of this light makes it so much more useful in a variety of circumstances compared to what I'm used to with EDC LED lights.

P1D.jpg

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
How bout some glow paint for those golf balls. Then you could see where your shot goes in the dark. Thanks for sharing.

Stingray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glow in the dark gold balls would have been nice. We could see the splashes about half the time.

I added a piece to the head also.
DSC00083.jpg

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
I borrowed this enhancement from another light (Dorcy 1AAA). It seriously improves ease of use, but something a bit more substantial would be nice. Does anyone make/mod bezels that could work here?

Skibane

Enlightened
Thin strips of heat-shrink tubing will indeed improve the grip, but they don't make it any more comfortable to grasp the flashlight in your teeth.

One solid piece of heat-shrink makes the flashlight comfortable to hold in your teeth, but doesn't improve the grip very much.

So...

How about using a paper punch to put several dozen holes in a solid piece of tubing, before heat-shrinking it in place?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
SportTapedLights.jpg

I have this stuff on most of my "cold aluminum" lights. I most recently added it to my Taskforce 1AA 1W. It really enhances grip!

I'm not inclined to wrap my P1 however as I use the belt sheath and it would make for extra trouble putting it in or getting it out.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
stonehold - I like that Dorcy add on - had one sitting right here and only took a few seconds to swap it to the P1D CE - definitely helps - thanks.

balticvid

Newly Enlightened
I put a #5 or #6 split ring through the hole at the base.
I can hold the ring between my eye teeth and maneuver
the light with my lips. My teeth dont touch the light itself.

It works for me anyway. ( I have 7 teeth left.) kidding

Last edited:

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
matrixshaman - Your welcome. Now I have to find a more permanent solution that works for my other lights.