1x AA plastic light with single 5mm LED ?

Martin

Enlightened
Does anyone know of a plastic light that runs from a single AA cell and is dim with a long runtime ?
Such a light will probably utilize a single 5mm LED. Imagine a plastic Fenix E0 in AA size.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
One that comes to mind is the Shorelite VX-2. It runs on 1AA, has 4 levels, and is plastic. But, it has 2 LEDs. The smaller VX-1, which I have, has 1 LED, 4 levels, but runs on 1AAA. The small one has a pretty nasty blue beam, but on the low level runs a long time. Had it for about 4 years, so maybe they've made some improvements. I've been tempted by the AA VX-2. They are available at GlowBug.

http://www.glowbug.com/index.php?ma...ult&search_in_description=1&keyword=shorelite

Geoff

Last edited:

Martin

Enlightened
Great find, Geoff !
It looks like they put some serious effort into the design, rarely seen in plastic lights.
I've ordered one rightaway.

I also grabbed one of these pocket lights that claim to run off a single AA.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Martin, please let us know what you think of the VX-2. I forgot to mention that the dimming does not use PWM. There is no flicker, so I guess it's current regulated. This VX-1 is also very effective for draining a battery. I hope the beam on yours is okay.

Geoff

Martin

Enlightened
Hopefully, the LEDs on the VX-2 are easily accessible so I can replace them for nicer ones if I feel the urge. Or maybe put cyan ones if I'm in the mood.

I really expect that dimming is done by changing the current sense reference or the sense resistor itself, so the converter just follows. According to my knowledge, PWM is only used for incan control.

Well, two flashlights and a LED lantern is enough for January, the VX-1 has to wait now. There are high chances that it will lose out to some new Cree thing.

Martin

Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
Martin, please let us know what you think of the VX-2. I forgot to mention that the dimming does not use PWM. There is no flicker, so I guess it's current regulated. This VX-1 is also very effective for draining a battery. I hope the beam on yours is okay.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, it's indeed a nice light. See my little review.
Compared to the CMG Infinity, the ShoreLite is fully regulated, has multiple light levels, no contact issues, easy to upgrade LEDs.
This light really deserves a higher popularity.

Martin

Enlightened
Thanks, Newuser01 !
Actually my Glowbug order contained one of these AA lights:
Ricco1.jpg
Ricco2.jpg

That 3-LED AA is a cute light but from an engineering standpoint rather disappointing: Badly overdriven LEDs, unexciting driver, switch not durable and needs two hands to operate. I just see too many of these and I suspect most of them quickly end up in the bin.
The good thing is they can be modded, the drive current reduced, LEDs changed, the switch improved. If I get them locally at a bargain price, I buy some more and put colored LEDs for fun.

Last edited: