Scratched my G2 lens...

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
Well...I just got back in town from our holiday excursion, and I realized that somewhere along the way (probably in my carry-on), the lens on my G2 was scratched. It's really only noticeable if I'm pointing it at a perfectly flat, even-colored surface (i.e., a wall) at semi-close range. Nonetheless, I know it's there, and I don't like it. What are my options?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the window on the G2 is made from Lexan which is a brand name for polycarbonate. Since that is the case, you can take it out and polish away minor scratches with toothpaste... yes I said toothpaste.

The HD45 lights have a polycarbonate window in them, and I had some scratches happen to one of mine while backpacking with it. I polished them out with toothpaste and a cotton swab. It worked great.

Try it out and see.

-Goatee

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I scratched the len's on my black Surefire and emailed Surefire customer service
and they sent me a new bezel and len's for free so it's worth a try. The worst they
could say is no but I think they will take care of you.

bouncer

Enlightened
if your G2 is black call surefire and order part no 14401-1 that is the G2z bezel with pyrex lense if it is OD or brown ask for the corresponding g2z bezel assembly yellow your forced to repair or replace with same the pyrex is some what more scratch resistant

Last edited:

Perfusion

Newly Enlightened
bouncer said:
if your G2 is black call surefire and order part no 14401-1 that is the G2z bezel with pyrex lense if it is OD or brown ask for the corresponding g2z bezel assembly yellow your forced to repair or replace with same the pyrex is some what more scratch resistant
It is indeed black - thanks for the suggestion!

kwando

Newly Enlightened
i am trying to upgrade my lense but it does not have the notches to unscrew the bezel..

P1220591.JPG

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not positive but I think for those you need a z17 lens kit. Ask size 15's about it.

Illum

Flashaholic
:)> said:
I believe that the window on the G2 is made from Lexan which is a brand name for polycarbonate. Since that is the case, you can take it out and polish away minor scratches with toothpaste... yes I said toothpaste.

The HD45 lights have a polycarbonate window in them, and I had some scratches happen to one of mine while backpacking with it. I polished them out with toothpaste and a cotton swab. It worked great.

Try it out and see.

-Goatee

any toothpaste thats not gel will work...I've used toothpaste to fix scratches not just on light's lenses...but my own spectacles and aquarium tanks

just make sure you rub it in evenly:grin2:

Size15's

Flashaholic
MARNAV1 said:
I'm not positive but I think for those you need a z17 lens kit. Ask size 15's about it.
That I'm aware of the Z17 is only for the metal bezels with push-in snap-fit Lexan windows. I don't recall having ever seen a G2 bezel that doesn't have the notches in the retaining ring. Interesting.