• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS -- Milky M180 in the FIRST LeefBody!

Leef

Enlightened
Okay, guys, this is the package!

m180kl2eu9.jpg

One of Milky's famous M180-M3 heads with crenellated bezel, a LeefBody C-M 1x18650 (the FIRST ever sold!), a LeefRing for the lanyard, and a SF twisty, all in HA-natural.

The run times and outputs of this light are: 1x18650, ~170 lumens for 125 min. in dead-flat regulation; 2xCR123, ~165 lumens for 96 min. dead flat, then another ~1:10 at above 250 lumens. With a different body (a bored SF L6, or better, the soon-to-be-released LeefBody C-M 2x18650) this head gives 4:40 with 2x18650 (protected). In fact, this head is pretty happy with anywhere between 3.6 and 9 vdc.

Be the first on the Forum to own a real, production model LeefBody, along with the classic, famous Milky M180 M-3 head.

The cost of these parts totals $342, but in the spirit of the upcoming new year, I'm letting this great combo go for $275.

Step right up!

Last edited:

JanCPF

Enlightened
Leef,

You said the head is happy with 6-9 volts but how then can it have "dead flat" regulation on one 18650 at 4.2-3.7 volts?

Jan

Leef

Enlightened
By the way, I sent the first bunch of these bodies (C-M, 1x18650, HA-natural) to Lighthound a few days ago. Keep an eye on his site. :naughty:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's see now... here's the runtime chart for this head... and to answer one question, yes, this head runs nicely in ruler-flat regulation with a single 18650 cell...

img-m180-kl2-leef-runtime-vs-lbu-complete-v2-linear.jpg

Here are some photos of MSaxatilus' M180-M3 head, which is similar to Leef's, mounted on the MUCH larger SureFire M3 body... I don't recall offhand whether MSax's light has the same heatsink as Leef's, or one slightly different in appearance...

img-m180-m3-msaxatilus-1-1.jpg

img-m180-m3-msaxatilus-1.jpg

img-m180-m3-msaxatilus-3.jpg

img-m180-m3-msaxatilus-4.jpg

img-m180-m3-msaxatilus-5.jpg

img-m180-m3-msaxatilus-6.jpg

img-m180-m3-msaxatilus-7.jpg

img-m180-m3-msaxatilus-8.jpg

Hope that helps! This is a particularly nice head and the output hits a sweet spot IMHO on the performance curve, where it always seems to be enough light even when the eyes aren't yet dark-adapted... never seems to be too MUCH light... runs well on several different battery configurations... and the thing just runs and runs. :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, forgot some things...

* The head uses 3x McR16 reflectors.

* The design goal is 180 lumens overall output, and that's pretty much what it does once one accounts for tolerance in the semiconductors (sense resistor for example), variance in emitter performance, and the imprecision of our homestyle lumen measurement apparatus. Leef's lightbox seems to register about 10 LBU per lumen, and the M180 head pumps out 1750-1800 LBU in his tests with all cell types. I suspect the real output was identical in all cases but that minor variations in test procedure caused him to get slightly different readings. (He took the readings over the course of a few different days.)

* Head never gets more than lukewarm even after extended runtime.

* The overall length of the exact package Leef shows is a bit LESS then 6 inches. :naughty:

* Can run on pretty much any cell type so long as the nominal input voltage doesn't exceed 10V... so 1x Li-ion cell (3.6V) works, 2x Li-ion cells (7.2V) work, but 3x Li-ion (10.8V) is a bad idea.

* Given as you'd pay about $60 for the LeefBody and at LEAST $15 for the tailswitch, then tack on more for shipping (which Leef is tossing in free), you're essentially getting the M180-M3 head itself for LESS than $200... and an M3 head goes for about $60, 3x McR16 reflectors (when available which is not very often!) would go for $48 plus shipping, 3x Luxeon SWOH emitters would go for $36... so when all is said and done, you're paying about $50 for the custom Project-M circuit, custom 1/2 inch thick solid aluminum heatsink, spring connection assembly on the back end, plus all the effort in assembly. If I may be so bold, that's a pretty good deal! :eek:oo:

Walt175

Enlightened
I spent quite some time playing with the prototype at PF7, and must say this is a GREAT light. Unfortunately :broke: .

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, I've been building all sorts of Project-M lights... M252... M308... M420... X700... even an X1190 in the works...

And yet, it is the humble M180 on a 1x18650 body that I keep grabbing as my most-commonly used "go-to" light. There's just some sort of magic in that combination of output and runtime.
:shrug:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will take it, please!

PM me and will PP 1st thing in AM, as I'm off to bed!

Thanks,

jeffb

Leef

Enlightened
As I remember, they're at the plater now (there are lots of variations, some at the plater, some still in the CNC shop). Anyway, they should be ready 1-2 weeks.

Platers can't be hurried. I suspect they've breathed too many fumes over the years.