wanted-head for a VG body, HELP :)

highorder

Enlightened
hey folks. here is my tale. it started as a WTB thread, but got philosophical.

I just got a VG fb2 body (black) and i love it! I have been running a HA E2e w/ MN03.

I would like to enter the realm of the head/light engine arena. the question is, where to start? I have been considering a black A19 head that I could swap UV and luxIII or cree light engines. you hear less about the aleph 1 and 2 heads these days. can they be found for cheaper that the A19? how do they differ, and what do they offer? there are reams of reading on the aleph system. anyone have a link to heads and light engines in particular?

I have also considered making my own head and using an available reflector and window. bottom line, I want an LED head with similar beam characteristics (brightness and throw+flood) as my FF3. what to do?

I like the small form factor of the E2e head, so larger diameter and longer length are detractors. I tried my E2C+Z44 combo and didnt like the handling characteristics...

I dont want to break the bank, but I will spent the time or money it takes to be satisfied. the floor is now open to all suggestions. please contribute your $.02

thanks!

Last edited:

highorder

Enlightened
will the next (50th) person who reads this at least leave a comment, joke, or nasty accusation?

I cant believe no one has an opinion, or even a kernel of advise.

thanks!

majr

Newly Enlightened
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=48_56_58

That should get you started, there is a parts list and sections for reflectors, light engines and whole lights. The A19 was designed for the CREE UV leds and is deep and narrow, some say good for the new cree xlamp leds. The a1, a2, and a3 heads are just different sizes, pick the one that fits your needs best based on the size and throw/flood characteristics of the reflector that goes in it.

-hope this helps a little.

or you could just sell the fb2 to me.

digitaleos

Enlightened
Well I guess I'm about the 50th person, so here we go. You already have the FB2 body, I had one of the Shoppes A19 crees and let me tell you for size, it was amazing in both throw and flood. It compared (almost beat) my cousins Aleph 3 with WWOS in both categories. I am currently is almost the same pair of shoes you are in. I have a Black E1E than I am considering buying a Black A19 with the MCR19xr reflector and building a Cree P4 LE with flupic for. I also have an E2D with the LU60A conversion kit that has the Black E2C adapter and Black M2 bezel. I will be able to run the A19 Cree on the E2D as long as I use a 17670. I have also asked Milkyspit if he would be able to build a Cree drop in module that could replace the P60/61 LA's. Well I could go on for quite awhile with all your choices but I won't, although here is a few more, you could get a KL1 and mod it with a reflector and Led of your choice, KL4 for a complete wall of light, Aleph 1 although hard to find anymore, puts out a very nice beam of light,good throw with a 3 Watt and good combination with a 5 Watt,, if you want throw you can get an Aleph 3 with a 3Watt or if you want a good combination of throw and flood you can put a 5 Watt in the A3.

highorder

Enlightened
thanks! I am familiar with the shop.

I wish it were more user friendly for the novice.

more explanation, pics, etc.

highorder

Enlightened
big thanks to digitaleos! thats the king of ramble I am looking for.

what about aleph 2 heads? they are discontinued, but are they available?

I am looking for the smallest head I can find for the 2 cell body. like I said, I can make a head, but I dont know if it is worth the trouble of buying a reflector, window, bezel ring etc.

anyone have an aleph 2 or a19 head they can spare? in black?

digitaleos

Enlightened
Yeah I know, sometimes I don't know when to shut up :sssh: Just ask my wife. :rant: Right now anything Aleph is hard to aquire, although I have heard that after the first of the year the Shoppe is going to be listiing some Aleph components for sale. So you'll have to wait like the rest of us :ohgeez: to see just exactly what it is they have. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Chris