Orb Raw Cree lux measurement?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone measured the lux at one meter of the Orb Raw with Cree LED? How does the throw compare with a Fenix P1 or P1D CE?

c_c

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are the 1 meter lux numbers I measured, also the 2 ft reflection lux numbers from a white wall (a better measure of overall output). All lights have fresh batteries, meter is Cen-Tech FX-101.

Because of uncertainties in calibration and testing, the numbers are better compared to each other than to lux numbers from another test and/or meter.

The below shows the P1D CE is pretty bright, but overall output is less than my U2 (but then it's using just one battery vs the U2's two). If you assume the HDS U60 is 60 lumens, the reflection lux indicates the P1D CE is very roughly about 94 lumens.

Light: 1m lux / 2 ft reflection lux
-------------------------------
Arc AAA-P: 36 / 2
MiniMag: 150 / 2
Raw Ns (Lux III): 300 / 16
HDS U60: 850 / 21
Fire~FlyIII: 860 / 28
Raw Ns XR-E: 1000 / 40
P1D CE: 1480 / 33
U2: 1750 / 45
Elektrolumens Tesla-6: 2100 / 70

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I have the P1DCE, the orb Cree and the CR2 ion Cree XRE...I recorded those results with my luxmeter at one meter :

P1DCE Medium : 1100 Lux High : 2100 lux
Orb Raw Cree High : 1000 Lux
CR2 ion Cree XRE : about 400 Lux

For the moment the P1DCE is really the brightest :)

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frenchyled said:
P1DCE Medium : 1100 Lux High : 2100 lux
Orb Raw Cree High : 1000 Lux

Is the P1DCE noticably brighter than the Raw Cree?

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
dammitjim said:
Is the P1DCE noticably brighter than the Raw Cree?
Note there are two different Orb Raws that use the Cree XR-E emitter: the CR2-powered version, and the smaller Ns version that uses a 14250 cell.

I have the Orb Raw Ns XR-E version, and it's definitely brighter (on high) than my P1D CE is on high. However runtime on high is very short -- about 8-12 minutes to 50%. On low runtime is much longer, probably 30 hrs, and it still puts out about 5 lumens.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I'm most interested in the NS.

Is the high runtime on the XR-E NS still that short? I was hoping the runtime would be improved with the new LED.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
dammitjim said:

Is the high runtime on the XR-E NS still that short? I was hoping the runtime would be improved with the new LED.
Yes, it's about that short. It doesn't go out at that point, just gets dimmer. You can use the increased XR-E efficiency to get either more run time, more output, or a blend. Apparently Orb intentionally went for max output on the Ns "high" setting.

It's not that bad if you realize the "low" level is quite bright and usable. I just re-measured it, and "low" on the Ns XR-E is apparently about 7-10 lumens. It's at least as bright as an Arc AAA-P.

However I agree the Ns XR-E would have more utility if they'd backed down the "high" drive level from 700 mA to about 400 mA. They'd only have lost a little visual output, and gained considerable run time.

The little 14250 cell only has about 300 mAh capacity, vs the 1500 mAh of a CR123A (900 mAh for RCR123A). There's only so much you can do with that.

The regular CR2-powered Orb Raw XR-E has three output levels, and the medium level runs quite a while (I think over 1 hr), yet produces about 80 lumens. Just going from memory here, someone correct me if wrong.

The Ns is still a great little light. Orb's available tritium locators makes them a good "nightstand" light -- you can always find it in the dark.

robm

Enlightened
dammitjim said:

The runtime is quite short on high, but it can only really be used in bursts - at full power after a few minutes it is too hot to hold.
I think a continuous 12 minutes would have the NS smoking...

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
robm said:
The runtime is quite short on high, but it can only really be used in bursts - at full power after a few minutes it is too hot to hold.
I think a continuous 12 minutes would have the NS smoking...

Even with the XR-E? My understanding was they generated less heat

robm

Enlightened
Mine certainly got very hot - although I wasn't holding it at the time - I know that in theory this can help to cool a torch/flashlight once it gets warmer than body temp.

I will try again later, this time keeping hold.

robm

Enlightened
Just tried again with new-ish battery, and this time, whilst holding it and this time it only got warm. Run time was approx 10 mins before started to dim noticably.

Maybe my previous test (with NS sat on its tail cap) was a worst case.

I will try again of a freshly charged battery.

On another note:
>Joema: ...The regular CR2-powered Orb Raw XR-E has three output levels, and the medium level runs quite a while (I think over 1 hr), yet produces about 80 lumens. Just going from memory here, someone correct me if wrong.

Are you sure about the Orb Raw XRE having 3 levels (I know the standard Raw only has 2) - not noticed this before if so it may be time to add another Raw to the collection :)

Update:
Tried with a fresh battery, and the NS does get quite hot after 2 - 3 mins (I think this is the initial very high output phase which the runtime/output graphs for the normal NS indicate) - almost too hot to hold - but it can be held continous (with a bit of shuffling).

I have no light meter, so this is by eye compared to P1D CE on newish battery:
For the first 8 minutes or so the output is brighter (IMO) than the P1D CE on high, it then fades to about P1D CE on medium after about 12 mins, and after 22 mins is somewhere about the same as P1D on low.

I got bored at this point :)

Last edited:

Grim Reape®!!!

Newly Enlightened
robm said:
Are you sure about the Orb Raw XRE having 3 levels (I know the standard Raw only has 2) - not noticed this before if so it may be time to add another Raw to the collection :)

The ORB RAW XR-E has only 1 stage as standard and can be ordered with a second stage

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, thanks for correcting that. Up to two (not three) output levels on all Orb Raw models. On some, two levels is an option, on others (the Ns, including the Ns XR-E) it's standard.

My confusion came from the option to order a "not so low" output level in place of the regular "low". So on some models there's a third optional output level you can chose, but this is INSTEAD OF the normal low, not in addition to it. When you order you specify either the regular low or the not so low as your "low" level. High remains the same.

Here are some links where Orb discussed this:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1721662&postcount=9
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1526049&postcount=1
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1526090&postcount=5

MountainMan

Newly Enlightened
I was going to upgrade my NS to a CREE - now I don't know if it is worth the money for 8 minutes of increased brightness.