"TOUCH"-Lite

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I found this at Walgreens this morning!

lite-1.jpg
lite-2.jpg

Here is a quote from the package on how to use this light:

"1. Press rear "Power" switch. The lite will be in stand-by mode.
2. Turn the LED on by touching and holding the 2 parallel CarbonSensor Bars.
3. Press rear "Power" switch to turn the lightoff completely so that it will not be "on" by being touched in the pocket or purse"

I have not yet found anything, other than your body parts, that will turn on the light! It's hard to tell just what kind of LED is in the light...might be a 5mm LED. The light beam is nothing to write home about! Runtime is unknown and is likely to stay that way as you have to toucn the two carbo strips to make the lite come on!

It should make a great "Grandma" light as all you have to do is grasp the light and it will come on!! It can be set up with the power switch in the "ON" mode so there is nothing to twist or push to turn it on...just pick it up! It uses uses 2xAAA batteries loaded negative toward the light.

The cost at the local Walgreens is $5.99.

Martin

Enlightened
Could it be this light turn's on when its sensor detects the presence of 60Hz hum ? In that case, it may not turn on during a blackout..

Roy

More likely it uses the capacitance or skin resistance of the body to comlpete the circuit.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That would ***DEFINITELY*** indicate that it has a skin resistance switch, not a capacitive one.

hmmmm...post got placed above Roy's question post, not below it.

Roy

I did notilce this morning that when the light was set down on a wet table the light came on! Would that indicate capacitance or skin resistance?

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
with either option is the switch durable? Or is accidental activation enough to eliminate the possibility of using this on other torches?

Roy

The only moving parts on this light are the door on the battery chamber and the master on/off switch. The clickly switch is there to prevent accidental activation. The "Carbon Sensor Bars" have no moving parts and seem to only be activated by something moist touching BOTH Carbon Bars.

This light could benifit from an LED changeout. The Patent date is 2004 so the makers are probably behind the tech curve. Most likely the reason they're selling for $5.99.

Roy

The one I bought was in a display by the entrance. Might be a local offering.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it turn off after a timeout, or does touching the 'carbon bars' again turn it off?

Roy

It's only on while touching the two bars! Turn loose and the light goes out.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
Re: "TOUCH"-Lite An update.

Near the end of January I bought two of these lights when they were 2 for $10 instead of $5.99 each. They are still both working fine so I thought I'd report on them.
Beam quality is very smooth although a bit blue and of course pretty dim. But dim can be good as people often mention here. The lights are very easy to operate, simply pick it up and it's on. Since the master On/Off switch at the tail is a forward momentary with clickie, you can also grip the light and use your thumb on the master switch like you normally would with any tail-switch light.
The light has no constant ON position, just constantly armed or disarmed. Mine will light without holding them if you use a rubber band and a bit of crumpled aluminum foil to bridge the two carbon strips. I think some people had difficulty with finding an object to activate the light because of the curve in the body and the slight recess of the strips. You have to use something soft and conductive to actually make reliable contact when not holding in your hand, but that would only be if you had no other regular light handy. You're likely to use this light in a place where its unique on/off ability is all you need it for.
If your hands are very dry like now in winter, you'll have to grip a touch harder to make good contact but I've had no problem with reliable, flicker-free operation when you need a quick, dim light for a few seconds at a time before putting it back down just as fast.
Drumming 3 fingers on the strips makes a pretty cool LED machine gun effect too. Or I guess you could call that really, really annoying PWM!
My only complaint's are very minor. They come with 2xAAA cheap heavy duty batteries which also rattle, otherwise it's built pretty well for a plastic light.
When you replace the batts, don't forget they go in negative first.

Last edited:

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't be able to check out a Walgreens until Friday. Meanwhile, if anyone has a definite source for these, I'd like 3-4 of them, if anyone is willing to help me out.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I got mine at a Walgreens out of town. I haven't looked locally to see if they still have them, but the shelf display could be anywhere in the store. Body colors are black, silver, red and I think blue or maybe it was yellow.

Last edited:

BMRSEB

Enlightened
Saw these at my local WalGreens about a month ago, thought they were kind of gimmicky.. I don't remember the price though. Might have to do a drive-by to see if they still have them..

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Found one of these at a Restoration Hardware about a month ago. When it got down to 50% off (still $6) I bit. Silly little light, but just right for a flashaholic.

Geoff

ScarabDrowner

Newly Enlightened
I got one of these... thought about opening it up for a mod, but haven't been successful yet... has anyone managed to tear one open without overly destroying it?

Secur1

Enlightened
Soooooo this light gets turned on when u touch it......

Sorry i guess i am the only perv in here :p