Powerful light options, new technology

P7rancher

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking to get a powerful light (1000 plus lumens). Use would be outdoors, so I need mainly spot and I want something relatively lightweight and portable. For reasonable price, I have been looking at the Mag85 options.

Enter the new Cree led's:

Now it looks like multiple Cree's will exceed the 1000 plus lumen threshold, and be available in the $250 price range. Equal or better runtimes, cooler temperature and no bulbs to break.

Am I missing something or is waiting another few months a no-brainer to have several "new choices" in high powered lights? I know technology changes quickly (maybe too fast for my aging brain to absorb), but it seems this new technology (Cree led's) is almost to good to be true and will obsolete many currently available options.

Thanks,
Steve

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aren't you going to end up with a really large head when you put the needed 12 or so Crees to get 1000 lumens?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
How big/heavy a radiator will all these Crees need?

P7rancher

Newly Enlightened
A maker in the manufacturer's corner (electrolumens sp?) is using seven cree's in what apears to be reasonable size head and exceeding 1100 lumens.

What a wonderful light world we live in.

Am I missing something about the ability to compare to the Mag 85's?

Thanks,
Steve:popcorn:

frogs3

Enlightened
Dear P7rancher,

If you wait, there will inevitably be something better. 2007 looks like a great year for a technology leap in output per watt from several LED manufacturers, and the expected new products will probably include some in higher lumen ranges than we have seen before.

That having been said, you can buy well established technology right now in the HID lights with 800 to 2000 lumens output from AE and others with rechargable batteries, in a rather lightweight package. Plenty of comparisons and dealers are available on the CPF Forums if you want to see their beamshots, etc.

The LED's are the future, but it is an uncertain future with regard to 1) when a useful light will be available 2) the reliability of that light 3) the cost of the unit 4) what competition it will have soon thereafter.

No one can predict which is a "better" investment for your money. I suggest that you read about the existing lights in the range that you want then stay tuned to CPF to guage how the manufacturers are moving with the higher output LED's. Also look at Flashlight News, as it follows the industry very closely for the latest developments.

-Harvey K.

NAW

Enlightened
If you want power you should look into HID lights. HID lights are very effiecent and have regulated output.

Those high powered LED lights are not regulated and with the heat you can't leave them on to long.

Incandescent lights waste energy alot and will give you low runtimes and low bulb life hours.

One good HID light would be the 50W Xeray which produces 5300 lumens.

Then another HID light is the 40W Helios which produces 4000 lumens.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also overall Lumens from LED's - even Cree - doesn't necessarily equate to the throw you typically get from a single high power incandescent bulb.