Opening an Inova X1?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I bought a used Inova X1, the reflector version. It has a horribly blue tinted LED that I would like to replace with a 50,000 mcd white JE LED. Question is, how do I get the head open?

This thread mentions using the "freezer method".
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99804
I get that I freeze the body to contract the metal, but then what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

datiLED
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/99804

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenris said:
You have to fill it full of water and then freeze it. The water will expand and eventually pop the head loose.

Seriously? I would have never guessed that. I tried freezing the light, and then used a knife between the head and body like a chisel. Obviously, that didn't work.

Has anyone had a problem with their lens breaking using this method? That would be my only concern right now.

I'll give it a shot, since the light is pretty much unusable right now.

Thanks,

datiLED

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It only takes 3 freeze cycles.. should come apart just fine... I'm pretty sure the window is just there to reassure the beginners that the (indestructable) led is protected. And it keeps the pocket lint out.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenris said:
You have to fill it full of water and then freeze it. The water will expand and eventually pop the head loose.
wow that doesnt mess up the electronics in the head? i am to scared to try it as i am afraid of ruining my new light.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
to be correct, the method is called
freeze - pop

as long as the head is not screwed in, there is no other way to open a light without ANY damage to anything inside or outside. Not even marks visible!
(only working method for Inovas)
completely fill with water, put in freezer some hours, get out, another water fill, freezer. 2-3 cycles and it should be open.

PS: of course You might not set the light under power while being wet, but after drying ...

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I will give it a shot. I am glad that you mentioned it would take more than one freeze cycle, too.

I am not worried about the electronics. I have cleaned flux from complex guitar effects full of CMOS ICs using a toothbrush and hot water, with no problems. A simple DC-DC converter should ne be hurt by a little water.

datiLED

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no 'seal' to break. It's a press-fit. You press it back in to put it back together. Better make sure it works first!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight,

Thank you for the pictorials. That really helps clarify things for me. A picture...

I don't know how I missed those links during my searches. What I did find was you requesting to buy a lot of X1's. What did you do with them all? Do you have any mod ideas for them that might be better than my planned LED upgrade?

Thanks again,

datiLED