Single LED spotlights used at mall

cujet

Newly Enlightened
I know this is not a flashlight, but the optic could be used in a flashlight.

I was at the mall today, and they used a number of spotlights to light up the christmas tree. They were single LED with a glass optic. About the size of a MR16 (actually a bit smaller). Each was putting out a good beam of light, so I suspect a Luxeon V or similar. It was a very nicely made professional spotlight. By the way, it looked to have the LED located in the center of the flat glass lens. Maybe the LED shines backwards towards the reflector?

Does anyone here know what they are?

Chris

FirstDsent

Enlightened
Did they appear to be in standard 120V fixtures? The key to understanding them is the fixture. The only standard compatible LED replacement lamps I have seen have been cheap chinese products. None of them sound like what you describe.

Bernie

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a photo of the fitting if you get a chance. There are too many things it could be.... from the top of the range to the bottom of the pile!

cujet

Newly Enlightened
No, they did not seem to be in a standard 120V fixture. This was certainly a high quality product. The beam produced was fantastic, and the effect was stellar.

I probably will not be back at the mall for a while.

Chris

Christexan

Enlightened
Sounds like a professional photography/lighting effects unit, many are out there with many options, and all are expensive of course. Many use nice fresnel lenses, have integrated cooling (with fans, etc)... the advantages of running off "line" power, everything can be optimized, it's the limitations of battery power consumption and physical housing size and weight that necessitate so many tradeoffs in our CPF "flashlight" optimized thinking.
A professional "can" light can have a 1lb heatsink with fan, not need to be waterproof (allowing external air to circulate through the internals), have high quality ground glass fresnel lenses, voltage control circuitry (although typically that's in a light brain outside the fixture), and cost $500-1000 for the "can" alone (not badly priced considering $500 flashlights...), all because it's running off the power line. That's my guess anyhow, that's it's a professional photography/show type light. Cut the cord and ask for a watertight, handheld-weight unit that performs equally well and it all goes out the door.

Latest posts