Inova XO2 vs. XO3

xm_8

Banned
Inova XO2 vs. XO3. How much more throw do you get with the XO3? How do their runtimes compare? Which rechargeables will work for both?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own an XO3, but I measured the current consumption of a couple of XO2s at 350 - 360 milliamps, using the included CR123A batteries.

It would be instructive if someone could measure the current consumption of an XO3 so we could compare it to the XO2.

OLD_BJC

Newly Enlightened
parnass said:
I don't own an XO3, but I measured the current consumption of a couple of XO2s at 350 - 360 milliamps, using the included CR123A batteries.

It would be instructive if someone could measure the current consumption of an XO3 so we could compare it to the XO2.

I just read the current draw from the batteries on my XO3 and it is 525 milliamps. This is on my 3.8W XO3 (2006 version).

My XO3, which has become quite worn and rusty, will have to be replaced with a 5.8 watt XO3! :naughty:

Secret message --->>>(I hope I don't get in trouble for telling this lie, but I really, really do need another flashlight!)

Illum

Flashaholic
xm_8 said:
Inova XO2 vs. XO3. How much more throw do you get with the XO3? How do their runtimes compare? Which rechargeables will work for both?

XO2
throw: 884 lux
output: 2000
runtime: 4 hours to 50%
actual testing: mine lasted about 4 hours and 15 minutes before taking the plunge, testing from my radioshack stopwatch and fresh surefire batteries.
regulation: full

XO3

throw: 1960 lux
output: 2850
runtime: 2h30min to 50%
actual testing: mine lasted about the same before significant dimming became an issue....

sources: www.flashlightreviews.com

OLD_BJC said:
I just read the current draw from the batteries on my XO3 and it is 525 milliamps. This is on my 3.8W XO3 (2006 version).

current draw measured from the TC? that would give you the amp draw to the converter board.... .525 x 6V = 3.15 watts:huh2:
and btw....inovas dont rust...but there is an inova clone made in china that does.

Last edited:

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up the newer version with the K2 led in it last week. It is significantly brighter than the 3.8 watt version. I am not sure that it throws as far as the 3.8 watt with the trios optic. But it has more overall output than the version from last year. :grin2:

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I looked at a couple of the new Inovas at Target today and they seemed pretty bright. They also seemed really blue though. I don't know if this was an illusion caused by the store's warm-white fluorescent lights or whether they were actually that blue.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Were these the 3 generations of Inova XO3?

1) Luxeon and TIROS
2) Luxeon and reflector - 3.8 watt (nominal)
3) K2 and reflector - 5.8 watt (nominal)

OLD_BJC

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
XO2
throw: 884 lux
output: 2000
runtime: 4 hours to 50%
actual testing: mine lasted about 4 hours and 15 minutes before taking the plunge, testing from my radioshack stopwatch and fresh surefire batteries.

XO3

throw: 1960 lux
output: 2850
runtime: 2h30min to 50%
actual testing: mine lasted about the same before significant dimming became an issue....

sources: www.flashlightreviews.com

current draw measured from the TC? that would give you the amp draw to the converter board.... .525 x 6V = 3.15 watts:huh2:
and btw....inovas dont rust...but there is an inova clone made in china that does.

Dear Illum_the_nation:

Without doing serious bodily harm to the XO3, the only test points are the positive battery terminal[font=&quot] and the bare aluminum edge of the flashlight's body. This measures the power draw from the batteries - just as I stated.[/font]

Why didn't you read the secret message? Just highlight the secret message with your mouse to change the color of the text and background. It's just a pile of bovine fecal matter to convince me that I really need to purchase the new XO3. :grin2:

Sorry about the 3.8 watt claim. :ohgeez:
I was trying to describe which version of the XO3 I had. Checking the original package card, I should have called it an 82 lumen LED.

OT comment removed
Unforgiven

Last edited:

lightinsky

Enlightened
I picked up the XO3 5.8 Watt K2 Luxeon from Target. It is as bright as my OD Surefire G2 + KL5 5 Watt Luxeon combo. I also have the T3 Tiros version and the XO3 is definitely brighter and luminates a broader area. I like the quality of the Inovas and rank them high on the quality chart if it exists. My XO3 is white tinted but while I was at Target I checked the XO 4.8 Watt and it had a blueish tint to the beam when comparing it to my XO3 and the others they had.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
lightinsky said:
...My XO3 is white tinted but while I was at Target I checked the XO 4.8 Watt and it had a blueish tint to the beam when comparing it to my XO3 and the others they had.

Hmm... I'm going to have to visit a couple more Targets and see if I can find a whiter one. I should bring along another light for comparison so I can subtract out any bias from the overhead fluorescents.

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
Mine has a purple/bluish tint on it. I think that the K2 is rated 6500K on average so you will probably have a hard time finding one that doesn't have a blue or purple hue. Just my 2 cents.

I also went through the rack to see if there were any that were not so strong and they all were tinted significantly.:thinking: I will go to another target to look and see if I can be proven otherwise.

Last edited: