Eneloope Chargers?

NiOOH

Enlightened
Yes, they can be charged on any charger that can safely handle 2000 mAh cells. I am not sure that they do not benefit from a break-in procedures though, just because they are sold charged.

gdhumphreys

Newly Enlightened
My eneloop cells did not really gain any capacity after running them through a "break-in" procedure. Others on the forum have reported the same thing, so I agree with BVH that the eneloop cells don't require a break-in period, although it would not harm the batteries to do so.

Greg

Phatboyc

Newly Enlightened
So what would be the best first charge for them? Refresh and analyse or just charge? What is the best rates should I put in with the Maha MHC9000?

thanks

wptski

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phatboyc said:
So what would be the best first charge for them? Refresh and analyse or just charge? What is the best rates should I put in with the Maha MHC9000?

thanks
Use at least .5C or 1000ma charge rate for 2000mAh cells. We're finding out that the suggested .33C in the instructions is too low to insure proper termination of charge.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
There's lots of info in the multitude of the new Maha 9000 charger threads. If I had to sum it up I would say that most people are charging between .5C and 1C on this charger.

Phatboyc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I did not think the .5C mentioned in the problem thread affected the Eneloop. Good to know.

How about a discharge rate. Anything special or is 1 amp good?

BVH

Flashaholic
I see a lot of discussion about discharging at 500 mah. Thats what the 9000 does by default in Refresh/Analyze Mode. Charge at 1000 mah and discharge at 500 mah.

bp044

Enlightened
Would the life of eneloops be extended with a lower than 1000ma charge rate?If so what discharge rate to promote life extension ?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the life of eneloops be extended with a lower than 1000ma charge rate?If so what discharge rate to promote life extension ?

Can't say for sure - one might think a lower charge current is somehow "gentler"......

But and this is a big BUT - at currents outside of the 0.5-1C recommended range the chances of missing end of charge termination (especially for "top-up" charging of partially charged batteries) becomes much higher - so even if (and this is not proven) lower currents may be "gentler" - the higher possibility of missing the end of charge and therefore OVER-Charging is much higher.

The two "killers" of NiMH and LSDs are OVER-charge and OVER-heat.......

So personally I stick to 0.5-1C if at all possible.

There is an existing con-current thread on this -

Need charger for Eneloops

Last edited:

edap617

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a dumb charger that can charge one or two AA NiMh at a time. Its rated output is 1.4 volts, 150 mA.

How many hours does it take to fully charge 1 AA Eneloop and 2 AA Eneloop? Thank you so much.

edap617

Newly Enlightened
Hi there too SilverFox!

Thanks for your immediate reply. I have one last question.

Will the charging time be the same if I charge only 1 AA or 2 AA Eneloop at the same time?