Flashaholic Vehicles. Looking for ideas.

bexteck

Enlightened
I just purchased my first vehicle. A 99 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab which is in great shape for the age. I don't get it until wednesday, but I am looking for ideas on lights and other accessories to put on it to compliment my flashaholism.

The truck has a tonneau cover so a roll bar won't be practical, but one of the rear window guards that is mounted between the cab and the bed might work, as well as a roof rack or brush guard for mounting lights.

If anyone has any suggestions for setups or good manufacturers, or just pictures of your rigs, I'd love to hear/see them.

Thanks,
-Blake

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those guards don't mount between the cab and bed, there isn't enough space, they sit on top of the bed front and usually have mounts going down into the stake holes.
Is your 99 the new body style or the classic? they made both that year.

bexteck

Enlightened
Classic body style.

With the tonneau cover, I wouldn't be able to mount anything on the front of the bed, so I guess I am looking at some sort of roof rack or brush guard type of thing.

Meduza

Enlightened
A huge 2"x<width of vehicle>x10" thick copper heatsink with 100 Cree XR-E mounted in front :D

a 250w, 10k lumens light on your roof :D

bexteck

Enlightened
Meduza said:
A huge 2"x<width of vehicle>x10" thick copper heatsink with 100 Cree XR-E mounted in front :D

a 250w, 10k lumens light on your roof :D

I don't want to think about how much that would cost. Besides the LED's the heatsink would cost a bundle since the price of copper has been on the rise lately.

The effect would be pretty cool though. Nobody would dare flash their high-beams at me.

Meduza: I looked quickly at your profile and Scouting and lighting design were pretty much what I did all through high school. I'm in college now, but I still do a lot of scouting stuff when I can. Just thought it was kind of cool that I was doing the same thing as you a couple years back.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
bexteck said:
Classic body style.

With the tonneau cover, I wouldn't be able to mount anything on the front of the bed, so I guess I am looking at some sort of roof rack or brush guard type of thing.

Mine is the newer body style so some of my ideas probably wouldn't apply.
I added in a couple of the lights that disappeared in 2003 (Mine is a 2004) like the courtesy lights under the dash and the glove box light.
Swapped the dome light out fot the one from the SUV's that has the extra lights and buttons.
Then I took the original dome light and mounted it under my tonneau cover and now in the cap. I connected it to the cargo lights since the tonneau and now the cap blocked the light from them.
You can see my gallery under the name enine here http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/

I'm going to put a light or two inside my center console that will turn on when I open the lid.
I want to put a couple on the trim around the front seat mounts that will light up the rear seat floor space, I put a couple 12v jacks there but its hard to see them in the dark.
I'm going to put a couple shining on the rear door handles (extended cab) since no one can ever find them.

I saw a truck recently with a headache rack that may work around your tonneau. The bed rails had ~2" steel angle lying on top of them all the way around then the rack behind the cab was welded to that. If you used angle or flat steel all the way around then it would lift the tonneau up by the steel thickness (say 1/8" all the way around, you may just need to find a tailgate cover to get the thickness there to match.

You could also put one of those light bars on the front bumper instead of above the bed.

Schnotts

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of highway night driving from where I live to where I work and I have a Toyota Matrix with a modified license plate holder holding 4 lights. I have 2 Lightforce 240 Blitz and 2 work lamps each with 2 x 55 w bulbs in them. It is all wired together so that all 4 lights plus the low and high beams for a total of 8 lights come on at once. It lights the whole area up. If I could post a photo I would on here.:)

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure to put a switch so you can turn those off, many states have laws limiting the number for lights facing forward.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out the ebay store CTILumination they have all kinds of led bulbs and whatnot i believe they have added some luxeon bulbs to their inventory

Last edited:

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to find a good source of different light sockets, everyone seems to be selling replacement bulbs but no sockets to add more.

bexteck

Enlightened
I'm not really looking for any lights for effect. I typically look for functionality and not a whole lot else.

What I'm thinking right now is that I'll end up installing some bright driving/off road lights in the front, some auxiliary reverse lights in the back, and maybe try and improve the bed lights. Then I'll figure out where to go from there.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, same with me, I want function, I don't care about changing bulbs to different colors and stuff like that, I just add extra in different places.