Looking for very bright running flashlight

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
I searched the forums, and found the following form to provide the appropriate information to get me started with this. Your help is greatly appreciated, I currently use a Dorcy 3 watt (3 AAA's), and want something much brighter.

Looking for a recommendation

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

For running in the darkness before or after work. Current light not bright enough to notice all sticks, cracks in the sidewalk, etc… Needs to shine and light usually up to 50 ft ahead and the farther the better to check for dogs, people, etc…

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

Dayton, Ohio

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Hoping for $50 - $60, but would consider higher if light so much brighter

2) Format:
LED Flashlight please

3) Length:
Small enough to carry on runs

4) Width:
long/narrow is preferred

5) What batteries do you want to use?
Only common AA and AAA sizes are acceptable, rechargeable primarily and alkaline if needed

6) How much light do you want?
The more the better, 2 or more brightnesses

7) Throw vs Flood:
Something focusable is highly desirable, but if that's not available then I would do put the X right in the middle:

Not really sure what would be best, advice appreciated!!

Throw (distance)----------------------X----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime
More is better, but hopefully 3-5h at least.

9) Durability:
Durability is extremely important. May get slightly wet due to sweat or light rain.

8) Switch Type:
Clickie preferred

9) Switch Location:
All of these are acceptable:
I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
I want a rotating head switch.
I want a rotating end-cap switch.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
on/off is fine
multiple level is a requirement

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
Metal. For sure.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
Waterproof/resistant is required.
Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish is very desirable.

Any comments about what I should get here? Thank you to all the experts who take the time to respond to this.

Let me know if any questions!

redskins38

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

Might want to look into the Fenix L2T L2S or P1d Cree.
The P1d cree has three diffrent brightness levels along with sos and strobe. Both the L2T and L2s have clickies.

L1S has four hours of 45 lumens and 22 hours with 10 lumens.

The L2t is 55 lumens for three hours and ten lumens for 22 hours. Hope that helps

Vickers

Enlightened
Mag 3AA LED

0. Available at Home Depot.

1. $15.98 if you buy it today.

2. 3 watt LED (but running at 1.5 watts I think).

3. Small and light.

4. It is long and narrow (8-1/2" long, 1" at the head, 5/8" body tube).

5. Uses AAs.

6. No levels of light...on or off.

7. It is focusable. According to

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_minimagled3aa.htm

the throw is 1985 and the overall output is 4000.

8. Has a twistie.

9. Head twistie.

10. On/off only.

11. Anodized aluminum.

12. Water resistant (o-rings at all connecting points and at the lens).

I'm hardly an expert, and the Mags (sorry, M@gs :rolleyes: ) are routinely slagged off here, but I think they made a nice solid light with these 3AA LEDs.

Try it out, if you don't like it HD will let you return it.

Last edited:

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I am trying to soak in all the info on the CPF forums and learn what I can about flashlights, batteries, and down the road how to 'MOD' lights(maybe). I have a LaCrosse BC-900 on it's way to my door, hopefully Ver. 33 !

How would the Fenix and MAG lights recommended compare to the Dorcy 3-watt (3 AAA's) light I have, specifically in brightness, battery life, throw(I assume that is distance) etc...

The Fenix P1D looks very interesting with all the things it can do. I might become a flashaholic !!

I like the Mag lights price, and the Fenix ones that can use either 1 or 2 AA's, depending on the model / upgrade.

Thanks again.

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Not sure what to suggest honestly other than I think its gonna need to be something with a Cree in it to get you substantially more light than what you have and stay in a small package. The mag light suggested does have more throw than your current light and about the same amount of output per flashlightreivews.com Output/Throw charts. The fenix L2t and L2S don't put out as much light as his current Dorcey Super 3 watt so those shouldn't be options.

You will see a little increase from the mag but not enough to notice I don't think. Also I didn't care for my P1D-Cree either with its Halo issues. Thats an ongoing debate so you can research that and come to your own conclusions.

Vickers

Enlightened
I agree that crees are the future (for now), but the *upcharge* for a cree (in the case of Fenix) is more than the *total* cost of a Mag 3AA LED.

Not sure how your budget is, but I will wait a few months to see if crees become more affordable.

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Vickers makes a great point if you wait a few months when the Crees really start to become more available in multiple lights and their usage more refined you will likely get a better deal and and a better light for sure.

arty

Enlightened
check the Streamlight Tasklight 3W2L at Amazon for $54. It has high and low, and is a good thrower.
It runs on 123 primaries.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Without waiting for a newer Cree or getting a Fenix P1D CE (too small I think to run with) You'd be very happy with the Coast LED Lenser Focusing flashlight available at Lowes. It puts out an enormous beam of light. It's as bright as my P1D CE (Cree) and has focusing ability to boot.
Available locally, runs an 3AAA for about 2+hrs (never really tested, I use rechargeables), nice size to hold in hand while running, rear clicky with momentary On, in your price range, and did I say bright!? If you haven't come across my rag tag :) review yet, take a look. Click here.

Here's a link to the light at Lowes too. I think you'd love it.

Last edited:

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Wow, my info overload is kicking in.

First of all, to thank folks - thx Vickers - my Dorcy is 3 watt version, and is black, the head is slightly different and it is black.

Thanks DammitJim for the link, I ended up buying that Coast "DammitJim I'm a newbie, not a flashlight guru" - LOL

Lite Me - excellent review, this is the one I bought, will explain below.

After my above posts, I mentioned Coast light to my GF, she thought it sounded familiar, so she went home and showed back up with a black Coast light, and she seemed to think it was a 1.25 Watt she purchased at Lowe's over a year or possibly 2 ago. It seemed a nice size and very bright.

I then ran out to Lowe's, but on the way remembered there was a Gander Mountain store on the way, so stopped in there. They had many lights, one of which looked like her Coast model, and indeed it was 1.25 watts, but silver. They seemed to have a good selection, including a few of the Streamlight models, including the one mentioned above. It was Xenon and LED which the Xenon kinda threw me off. At this point, I was at flashlight overload, they also had a Bushnell that said 100 lumens(still confused on lumens), but it used 123's, so went to Lowe's, and ended up buying the 3.44 Watt Coast model, since I really liked my GF's Coast.

I will do a comparison later, between the Dorcy, GF's Coast 1.25W and my new Coast 3.44W with some brand new Alkalines, since my NiMH's have set idle for a year, and I doubt after a recent charge it would be a good test, as these batteries will be of quite varied power outputs.

The new Coast seems incredibly bright, and adjustable beam is really neat. There is only one brightness setting as far as i can tell.

I may still look at the Fenix models, since I will have a new flashlight budget for 2007. Thanks for all the help.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Vickers, was rounding up my batteries to do my testing :). It was $49.97. The model number on the package is TT7438CP, same as the one in Lite me's review. It seems to have a different shade light then my GF's 1.25W, so I really want to get similiar batteries in each before making any comparison claims. Initially the new Coast seems to put out much more light, but maybe slightly yellower if that's how to describe it. Not sure the difference, or what it's called, but will wait until I do better comparison.

If anyone has any specific questions on this light I will try to answer.

My GF also brought over a Dorcy 1 Watt she has, like the one in the link above at flashlightreviews. She is gonna give me her old 1.25 Coast, and I'll buy her the newer 3.44 W Coast.

So in summary, I will be doing my own comparison between the Dorcy 1 W & 3 W, and the Coasts, 1.25 W & 3.44 W. I do not understand all the terms used in this forum, throw, lumens, etc... but will be learning as I read more, but if anyone has any particular questions i will try to answer.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Slightly yellower sounds bad, I would say, not quite as bright a white.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a runner, and though I usually try to train during daylight, sometimes my long runs last into the night if I have to work late. I carry an Inova X5. Now it doesn't meet too many of your requirements, I know that. However in my experience you may not need as much light as you think. The X5 illuminates the area right in front of you and is bright enough to get you noticed by oncoming cars. It has excellent runtime. I use batteries that no longer keep other lights in regulation but still provide ample light through the X5. It's a win/win.

Again, I know it doesn't meet your requirements, but I do speak from experience (I run 4-6 races a year from 5 mi. to mini's (13.1 miles) and the occasional full).

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Valpo, advice from an experienced runner who runs at night is greatly appreciated. In past year have upped my mileage, and did my first half-mary (13.1 miles) in Oct. I run 4 or 5 races a year, 24 - 30 mpw. I have been increasing my mileage since last winter, and at times found my current light not as bright as I wanted it to be.

Obviously the best is for me to run during daylight, as you mention, and I much prefer this. It's safer, and more stimulating to look at the scenery, and usually warmer, but this time of year it's not possible when on the days i work, I go to work and it's dark, and return home and it's dark. Treadmill is a last resort.

In some areas with bright street lights, I turn my light off, especially on smooth pavement. Some of my concerns I hope the brighter light will help with is when running on sidewalk towards traffic on part of my run, the car's lights are so bright, I can't see the ground too well with my light, so hoping a brighter one will help somewhat. Also my eyes ain't what they used to be :(

I'm also am a heavier runner, have battled Achilles issues in the past, so I want to make sure I avoid all things in my path, uneven pavement, sticks, leaves covering these items.

Obviously you're quite familiar with all these issues, so I appreciate the feedback / experience. I was close to buying an Inova, not sure what model, that I saw at Target a while back, but wasn't sure and wanted to post here first. I don't rule out getting one as I was quite excited to get a new flashlight today :)

Thanks for the advice, and good luck with your running in 2007.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey tslrc, isn't the mini a fun race? IMO, it's a far more "achievable" and comfortable distance. My PR is 1:47:54, though I hope to be well under 1:45 at the Indi Mini this year. My 5-mile PR is 36:12 and it's also an enjoyable race distance for me, more of a sprint-type distance.

The Inova XO, such as the ones available at Target, is also a good option. It has 6 hours of regulated output and more throw than the X5. The sidespill should illuminate your path. I know achilles and plantar fascia problems can be agrivated by uneven terrain, as you mentioned. The batteries can be had for as little as $1 a peice online. The only drawback is the twisty, momentary switch might not be good for turning it on and off a lot.

The 2AA MagLED is also a good option, but they say in the manual not to use rechargeables and it is also a twisty.

Best wishes with your running this year. When's your first race? Mine's a mini in the first weekend of April, the Valpo Mini here in my hometown. It's about 1,000 runners, if it's not too cold.

tslrc

Newly Enlightened
The mini was a blast. It was the River Corridor run in Dayton, OH. The last 1.5 months of my training, I had the AT injury, so I was limited with my training, but still went through with the race. My longest run was only 10.2 due to the injury, as I had to balance running with recovery, not wanting to make injury worse. I ended up with a 1:53:22, so was very pleased considering. All things considered, I had set a goal of just breaking 2 hrs. The pace I ran the first mile, ended up being close to my overall pace, and I had nothing left at the end.

I hope to break 1:45 next year with no injuries and smooth training. My 5K PR is 24:11, and I had hoped to smash that at a Haloween run this year, but the crowds were large, and on a narrow bike path at dusk, passing became increasing hard and dangerous as it got darker.

I saw the AA Mag at Lowe's, but the Coaster won the battle for my $$$ today.

I haven't signed up for any races in 2007 yet, but will be planning my first few races of 2007 in next week or so. I work Saturday's when most races are, so I will need to schedule vacation. My current focus has been increasing mileage over the winter, and stretching the ole soleus and gastroc muscles to avoid further soreness / injury.