What is the brightest light using normal alkalines?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
UK carries many diving lights that use C and D cells such as C4, C8, D4, D8. http://www.uwkinetics.com/ie/ Those lights are very bright and have 2 bulbs built-in. Of course, it won't be as small as Surge. However, don't be fooled by its picture, they're not as big as you thought.

Alan

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
do these two bulbs on the uk line run at the same time, is it a dual filiment bulb for switching bewteen high and low power, or just two bulbs in the same reflector?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bushman:
do these two bulbs on the uk line run at the same time, is it a dual filiment bulb for switching bewteen high and low power, or just two bulbs in the same reflector?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bushman,

My UK C8 has 2 bulbs in the same reflector. A clever switch permits either one of them to be centered for optimum performance. Only one can be used at a time. The other one is "insurance". It is pistol-gripped and produces a very bright "wall of light", not unlike the M6 but less bright.

I also have the UK SL6 and UK SL4. Both of these have single bulbs, are remarkably compact, have on/off switches and are held in traditional flashlight style as opposed to being pistol-gripped. The SL4 has an intense oval penetrating long throw beam. The SL6 has a "wall of light" beam similar to the C8 but somewhat smaller in diameter and less intense.

These are all excellent lights (fully waterproof) and I have carried both the SL4 and the SL6 in belt holsters in surprising comfort. These were holsters normally used for large cell phones or other purposes.

There may be other alkaline lights that are even brighter. If not we have some very creative mod-makers in CPF who might be able to help you.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Why alkalines? I'm not happy about the prices of 123's but you get a lot more bang for the 2 bucks. I just ordered a Scorpion so I hope I'm right
shocked.gif
. Runtime may not be better but a lot more light.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any thing brighter than the surge? NO HID please.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reason for alkalines is because i want to use rechargables in what ever light i decide to get. I appreciate the info on the c8 and it sounds like agood light. Are any of these other dive lights in series/parallel configuration like the surge is? This would lend to being able to use a higher wattage bulb from another light in order to have more output in a small setup. (by changing from series parallel to strait series.