New Years Eve, nice soirée, dodge DWIs, **** Clark’s bad rappin’ or corny radio show?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I couldn't figure out why I liked this silly movie named "The Prairie Home Companion" so much. I was rather bazaar but entertaining. So I finally got around to doing a little research and found out more.

One of the reasons I think I liked it is because I used to occasionally listen to broadcasts of "The Louisiana Hayride" when I was a kid. By that time it was no longer a live show. It was just a radio program but it sounded like they were having fun. I like jazz, blues, rock, big band and classic but a good fiddle always gets my attention.

Back a hundred years ago the boys that ran the "The Grande Ol Oprey" didn't think Elvis's Rockabilly music fit in to the program even though many of the other entertainers liked him. The guys that ran the little sister show, "The Louisiana Hayride" were convinced to try Elvis and his band out. Subsequently they signed a one year contract and were a real hit. Many believe this exposure was what really launched Elvis.

I found out that the PHC aired on Public Radio twice a week. We listened to it last night and it was a bit corny but we really enjoyed it. It had music, skits, fake commercials a little political humor…it was nice.

We didn't plan on a nice soirée this year, don't want to dodge drinkers and don't really like the music we heard last year on the New Years Eve television programs. So it's a quiet evening at home for us.

But! I found out Garrison Keillor will be broadcasting "Prairie Home Companion" tonight on PBS at 9:00 pm CST. We are looking forward to it.

Description:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/

Find your PBS television channel:

http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/index.html

Find your radio station:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/stations/

A little history:

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/about/

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Re: New Years Eve, nice soirée, dodge DWIs, **** Clark's bad rappin' or corny radio s

ot but is **** clark dead?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: New Years Eve, nice soirée, dodge DWIs, **** Clark's bad rappin' or corny radio show?

I think Prick Clark...er...uh...**** Clark is still with us.
After all, he is "the world's oldest teenager". :thumbsup:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Re: New Years Eve, nice soirée, dodge DWIs, **** Clark's bad rappin' or corny radio s

I don't think so. I heard a rumor that he might make an appearance tonight. I hope he's well enough to do so.

**EDIT** Ryan Seacrest just said that **** Clark WILL be on later tonight. :popcorn:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*

weird i was sure he died. im glad he is alive.i love new years i liek listening to all the music and them counting down the top songs of the year and most ya know i hate the number 6 so im sure glad it will be 2007 soon

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Happy New Year all!

I won't be going out tonight. I live in New Orleans and I rarely go out on the 'amateur nights.' On most event weekends I just pile the furniture up behind the door and wait 'til it all passes. Soon the drunks will go home and eventually the football games will be over and everyone will check out of the hotels -- and I'll get my cafes and city back. Return of the good life...

PS- I was listening to an Oldtime Radio show just an hour ago.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Years Eve, nice soirée, dodge DWIs, **** Clark's bad rappin' or corny radio show?

We're not going out tonight. My FIL survived a massive stroke and has just moved in with us (permanent move). So we are now looking at purcha$ing a larger home, selling his home and collection, etc. while raising two young children. Plus we had to put down our 16 year old Lab this week (bye Kashmir). So we're having a quiet night at home, relaxing and enjoying each other's company. :)

TorchMan

Enlightened

Chronos,

Sorry to hear about the FIL and Kashmir. Hope the New Year is better than that for all of you.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

**** Clark just showed up. He looks and sounds a little bit stronger than he did last year. He's still not like he used to be, although his mind is probably still pretty sharp.

Keep on truckin' Mr Clark!