Looking for quality back pack...help needed?

kev1-1

Enlightened
Hello All! My sister is taking a gap year before Uni and is going travelling with some friends. She is looking for a good quality back pack to take with her on her travels. Can any one recommend a quality company/specific product? BTW I'm in the UK so any VERY small/specialized US companies are probably out. Bloody Atlantic gettin' in the way again!
icon13.gif
rolleyes.gif
Any hows, any help much appreciated
smile.gif
smile.gif

Atrick-Pay

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I can't give any great advice,
Almost all my packs have been USA Mil. Packs
(or little know US companies)

But I just wanted to make sure you had read
this, I'm pretty sure it's soild advice, and
I bet anything on they're list is likely to be alright.

http://www.REI.com/rei/learn/index.jsp?ls=Camping

(There are a coupe of parts about packs from picking one to sizeing one)

Hope you can find the right one!
smile.gif

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
I like my Dana Design Terraplane but they make an awful lot of really good packs in different prices ranges. They aren't cheap but you do get your moneys worth.

Mountainsmith is good and so is Arc Teryx. I'd suggest going to the Backpacker magazine website and doing a search on recent backpack articles. A couple of months ago they reviewed >$250 packs and were very impressed with some of them. Good luck.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I love my Camelbak transformer. If I were doing extended travel I would get the largest Camelbak made. These paks are well made and you carry 2 liters of water with easy access. camelbak.com I would think these are available overseas.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I agree with Dave, look over the CamelBak line of packs on the web. I use a blowfish model every day to carry my stuff around. Another thought for you is to check out GoLite products. Their website is good and the customer service is great. Other companies that design for and support adventure racing have products that would be well worth the money, (ie. strong, durable, light weight, etc). Do a little research on ultra light backpacking on the web and gather some ideas.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second Eagle Creek.
They make a convertible backpack/briefcase that has given me years of use.
Lots of little gadget pockets too!
smile.gif

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by Atrick-Pay:
...snip...
(or little know US companies)
...snip...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can I guess? Eagle Industries, Blackhawk, London Bridge Trading
grin.gif

kev1-1

Enlightened
Thanks for all the info...a good starting point! My folks are thinking of making it a Christmas present for her...and I said I knew a place where there are people who seem to know something about everything
grin.gif
grin.gif
icon14.gif
cool.gif

Cheers again!

LiteFreek

Newly Enlightened
LL Bean, a popular outdoor store up here in Maine sells quite a few different types of backpacks. They are pretty well known for their quality and excellent customer service, I can vouch for that. Also all of their products are guaranteed for 100% complete satisfaction or your money back, I can also vouch for that too. I have bought many things from this store and I would highly recommend it. They do have a website also. It's www.llbean.com Also I just noticed they are offering free shipping through December 21st.