Target 3 Pack LED Lanterns down to $5.00 now!

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
THAT JUST SUCKS because we don't have a Target!! :ohgeez:
(They are supposed to be building one though...)

I'm always thinking in terms of "disaster preparedness", living in earthquake country -not to mention the long dark winter nights we have in Alaska-!!!!

I'd buy a group of these if they were available here! I've already called my brother in Ohio. He's going to check if there are any available near him for that price. I hate going broke saving money, but at a price like that - how can you go wrong?

Last edited:

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just unbelievable! No Targets around me either. My Oshram 1W lantern that I paid $40.00 for in a group buy about 1 1/2 years ago is a piece of junk! The bottom battery cover with the legs just fell off awhile back and I have to use a hose clamp to hold it on. My RR lantern is holding up okay but the bottom cover is also getting a little loose. For this price you guys got the deal of the year!

blake711

Newly Enlightened
well I tryed one other target tonight. No dice. But I did find a new little Remote Control Helicopter that is scarce so it wasn't a complete wash.

Also If anyone finds any of these lanterns I will be glad to pay for a box or two at a fair price.

Blake

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
THAT JUST SUCKS because we don't have a Target!! :ohgeez:
(They are supposed to be building one though...)

I'm always thinking in terms of "disaster preparedness", living in earthquake country -not to mention the long dark winter nights we have in Alaska-!!!!

I'd buy a group of these if they were available here! I've already called my brother in Ohio. He's going to check if there are any available near him for that price. I hate going broke saving money, but at a price like that - how can you go wrong?

Sigman, how many do you want? I can check my target and pick some up for you if they have them.

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Gene said:
My RR lantern is holding up okay but the bottom cover is also getting a little loose. For this price you guys got the deal of the year!
Except they aren't as good as the River Rock.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I took a good look at the Clifton Park Target tonight ... everything was 75% off ... but the place was pretty thoroughly pickled over. I bought:

Santa's hat: $1
2 Star Wars tree ornaments: $1.75 ea.
and some candy.

No lights, though. :(

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my two cents worth on these lights from several weeks ago:

Folks, keep walking. I bought a pack today, and it took me less than 60 seconds to determine these are a complete piece of junk, with no redeeming qualities.
thumbsdown.gif
River Rock's they ain't. Fit, finish and performance are not even in the RR's ballpark. I'd spend another $20 on one RR over three of these at the $17 markdown price I paid today. After Christmas you'll probably be able to buy the three-pack for $5 or less. Even then, I won't be in line, so worthless are they.

0:00 - Remove lantern from box.
0:05 - Note four cheap, anemic 5 mm LEDs pointing up toward a RR-like reflective cone.
0:10 - Remove threaded battery cover. Note two short sets of shallow threads molded into base, covering only about 30% of circumference.
0:30 - Load four AA batteries in the not-too-terrible battery holder and insert into lantern body.
0:45 - Struggle to screw battery cover into body. With loaded battery holder, it's impossible to screw the cover into the base without cross-threading the cover.
Christo_pull_hair.gif
You either have to keep screwing it in cross-threaded until it pops into the proper threads on the last turn, or push on the cover to pop it into the proper threads. Once situated, it seems secure, but how long can these cheesy, shallow plastic threads survive cross-threading at every battery change?
0:60 - Go into dark laundry room and press power button. Nothing. Diddle with battery cover, light flickers. Unscrew cover slightly -- find sweet spot -- light works. This is supposed to be a "lantern," right? Dim only begins to describe this thing.
au.gif
Someone mentioned that this lantern has only one power level. The RR has only one also, but could use another one or two. On this lantern, however, three power levels would equate to dim, dimmer, and dimmest. To put a dimmer on this lantern would be akin to donning a pair of sunglasses on the eve of a full moon. If you turned a River Rock 4AA, 1.5 watt lantern on, and turned this one on next to it, you would not even be able to see this lantern's illumination at all. To call the throw "ringy" is being polite. It casts a dim light only from the "horizon" upward about 45 degrees, with lots of pretty artifacts. At the very upper end of it's reach, the pattern is actually quite pretty ... looks sort of like a doily.
rolleye11.gif
Illumination below the horizon is nonexistent.
poof.gif
Fit and finish are, I suppose, what one would expect from a $5.66 made-in-china lantern.
jpshakehead.gif

So, sixty seconds to ascertain it's a POS ... one hour to go back to store and stand in the return line. Don't bother. And if you're thinking maybe you could just give a set as a cheap gift, saying to yourself, "It's the thought that counts," your recipient will be asking himself after turning it on, "What was he thinking?"
xyxgun.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
CM said:
Sigman, how many do you want? I can check my target and pick some up for you if they have them.
CM - I certainly appreciate the offer, but after reading Turbo DV8's comments and realizing I need to control spending...I'd be wise to hold off for now, after all I do own a couple lights! :ohgeez:

Seriously - :thanks:

fishx65

Enlightened
I picked up a couple boxes of these the other night for $5.00 each. I agree with Turbo's observations but for a cheapo lantern they are not bad at all. They would work well during a power outage. All 6 of mine work perfect and all the Leds light up just fine. I'm gonna try putting a lux in one of them and see what happens. I would say that they are well worth it for $1.67 each.

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
Turbo DV8 said:
Just my two cents worth on these lights from several weeks ago:

Folks, keep walking. I bought a pack today, and it took me less than 60 seconds to determine these are a complete piece of junk, with no redeeming qualities.
thumbsdown.gif
River Rock's they ain't. Fit, finish and performance are not even in the RR's ballpark. I'd spend another $20 on one RR over three of these at the $17 markdown price I paid today. After Christmas you'll probably be able to buy the three-pack for $5 or less. Even then, I won't be in line, so worthless are they.

0:00 - Remove lantern from box.
0:05 - Note four cheap, anemic 5 mm LEDs pointing up toward a RR-like reflective cone.
0:10 - Remove threaded battery cover. Note two short sets of shallow threads molded into base, covering only about 30% of circumference.
0:30 - Load four AA batteries in the not-too-terrible battery holder and insert into lantern body.
0:45 - Struggle to screw battery cover into body. With loaded battery holder, it's impossible to screw the cover into the base without cross-threading the cover.
Christo_pull_hair.gif
You either have to keep screwing it in cross-threaded until it pops into the proper threads on the last turn, or push on the cover to pop it into the proper threads. Once situated, it seems secure, but how long can these cheesy, shallow plastic threads survive cross-threading at every battery change?
0:60 - Go into dark laundry room and press power button. Nothing. Diddle with battery cover, light flickers. Unscrew cover slightly -- find sweet spot -- light works. This is supposed to be a "lantern," right? Dim only begins to describe this thing.
au.gif
Someone mentioned that this lantern has only one power level. The RR has only one also, but could use another one or two. On this lantern, however, three power levels would equate to dim, dimmer, and dimmest. To put a dimmer on this lantern would be akin to donning a pair of sunglasses on the eve of a full moon. If you turned a River Rock 4AA, 1.5 watt lantern on, and turned this one on next to it, you would not even be able to see this lantern's illumination at all. To call the throw "ringy" is being polite. It casts a dim light only from the "horizon" upward about 45 degrees, with lots of pretty artifacts. At the very upper end of it's reach, the pattern is actually quite pretty ... looks sort of like a doily.
rolleye11.gif
Illumination below the horizon is nonexistent.
poof.gif
Fit and finish are, I suppose, what one would expect from a $5.66 made-in-china lantern.
jpshakehead.gif

So, sixty seconds to ascertain it's a POS ... one hour to go back to store and stand in the return line. Don't bother. And if you're thinking maybe you could just give a set as a cheap gift, saying to yourself, "It's the thought that counts," your recipient will be asking himself after turning it on, "What was he thinking?"
xyxgun.gif

Dude, Sounds like you got up on the wrong side of the bed! First off $1.66 each not $5.66, secondly, READ MY POST, I didn't say they where high Quality, What to you expect for $1.66? I think your pissed because you paid 17.00 for these lights, which, I never would of. And by the way, if you compare a 20.00 River Rock to this light, in all honestly the River Rock is not really worth an extra 17.00 (per piece) over these. The River rock throw sucks compared to other Incan/flor lanterns that cost much less. Sure less run time with an Incan but the River Rock run time is not that great either... By the way, if it took you 60 seconds to ascertain it's a POS your pretty slow. The red packaging and the fact that it was in the Christmas section should have made it a zero second no brainer. duh... For $1.66 these are a good deal. for $17-20.00 no they are not. Thats why most of us wait until they go to 75% off to purchase POS stuff. Not to disrespect you, but the lights I bought work damn good for $1.66.
Heli

Last edited:

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
I got the last pack of these at my Target for $5 too.
I was hoping for more output, if this is similar to a
River Rock lantern I wanted, I can cross it off my list.
Light is harsh and not very bright, if you are using it
to walk with it blinds you. I tried the scotch tape and
it helped. I like my Energizer 2 led AA folding lantern
much better. It can be directional, its much brighter
and has 2 power settings. High runs for 100hrs, low
for 200hrs. Not sure of these Target runtimes. I will
return these Target lights and get another folding
lantern. These Target lights may be fine for some
folks, I just did not like them..
Rob

Pokerstud

Enlightened
Bror Jace said:
I took a good look at the Clifton Park Target tonight ... everything was 75% off ... but the place was pretty thoroughly pickled over. I bought:

Santa's hat: $1
2 Star Wars tree ornaments: $1.75 ea.
and some candy.

No lights, though. :(

Clifton Park? I use to live in Colonie. Spent a lot of time in Clifton Park and had my high school graduation at Saratoga performing Arts ( 1974 ). Good to see a fellow flashaholic in my ol' stomping grounds!

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
Robstorch said:
I got the last pack of these at my Target for $5 too.
I was hoping for more output, if this is similar to a
River Rock lantern I wanted, I can cross it off my list.
Light is harsh and not very bright, if you are using it
to walk with it blinds you. I tried the scotch tape and
it helped. I like my Energizer 2 led AA folding lantern
much better. It can be directional, its much brighter
and has 2 power settings. High runs for 100hrs, low
for 200hrs. Not sure of these Target runtimes. I will
return these Target lights and get another folding
lantern. These Target lights may be fine for some
folks, I just did not like them..
Rob

Rob, I agree with you on the blinding part, I played around with one last night and found that 500 grit sandpaper on the outside globe did the trick. Also like with other 360 degree lights, this one can be tamed or controlled by making a 120 degree removable reflector to help make the lantern more directional like your Energizer. By the way, I also have the Energizer and like it too!
Heli

Pokerstud

Enlightened
oddly enough, my wife gave me a set of these, thought they were " cute ". They are servicable. They are not meant to line the sides of runways. They throw off enough light to get around a house in a power outage. You might even be able to play a hand of cards with them. Good bang for the buck :grin2: