Is there any way to kill or change these stupid modes in fenix lights?

EsthetiX

Enlightened
I'm not really a fan of these strobe and SOS modes. Strobe I can tolerate but sos is so lame. How would you go about re-programming these lights. Maybe even making it turn on to whatever mode it was turned off in previously as someone mentioned in another thread. Im sure there will be a lot of people who agree with me and some who don't. I know not everyone can be happy but I wonder if there could be some kind of solution to allow people to customize if they really want. Or maybe fenix should just offer options. I don't know if the company would necessarily make more money for themselves by doing this but it would certainly generate a sense of appreciation from customers who recognize their concern for peoples wants.

I'd like to clarify once more that this is not supposed to be an argument over who likes these features and who doesn't. :rant:

Last edited:

waynejitsu

Enlightened
If anyone finds out how to kill the SOS and strobe, please let me know.
IMO, it is a waste!!!

EsthetiX

Enlightened
waynejitsu said:
IMO, it is a waste!!!

Yah it's just kind of irritating to cycle through these extra modes all the time. i wish lights had a better way of doing this stuff. I dont really care for clicky or twisty.. someone needs to come out with some kind of switch that slides up and down vertically (so you can just use a thumb easily) or at least a twisty that you dont turn on/off/on.off/on... and it would be cool to cycle modes by clicking as you turn the head (kind of like how a ratchet clicks when you turn it).

Last edited:

Presumed_Lost

Newly Enlightened
EsthetiX said:
I'm not really a fan of these strobe and SOS modes. Strobe I can tolerate but sos is so lame.... Im sure there will be a lot of people who agree with me and some who don't.

Well, you got that last part right.

As I've recently stated in another thread the SOS is worth at least $10 extra for me, probably more. Just because YOU can't see a use for it... well, I hope you never have one. Personally, I think the strobe is FAR less valuable, unless, MAYBE, you can switch it on directly for tactical use. Not sure I'm sold on it's effectiveness anyway.

However, I agree that it's a pain to cycle through all the modes on any light. Seems like the whole culture would have picked up on the fact that random access is much preferable to sequential access, in anything. That's was a basic lesson of the 20th C.

I also agree that I've never met a flashlight switch I really liked. The main virtue of the twist is that it adds almost no bulk to the design, and I do appreciate it being as small as possible. The main virtue of the tail clicky is that it's easy to one-hand and you know where it is no matter how you pick the light up... but neither is really natural IMHO. The old Mallory (dimestore) roll-forward wasn't bad, very intuitive, and if you added detents you could access modes directly, but it wasn't compact.

Last edited:

Luxson

Newly Enlightened
EsthetiX said:
Yah it's just kind of irritating to cycle through these extra modes all the time.

You cycle through all the modes all the time :huh: ? If you off it at any level more than 1.5sec and switch it on again, it should always reset to the first level. In fact, you don't have to see the last 2 cycles if you want to. It has been mentioned numerous times in other threads. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
Get rid of everything and make a Cree version of the L1p. One level with a pushbutton, no extra nonsense. Don't even go for two levels without a plunger switch like the McLux PD. And with two levels, make the low level around 3 lumens, not 20+ lumens.

Yeah, I understand some users want SOS and so forth, that's fine, that's the point of separate models. Some people who EDC pocket knives want multi-tools or SAK's with corkscrews and scissors. Others just want a single blade. Right now there seems to be no way to get the Cree led in a Fenix, without getting all the extra stuff that increases the interface complexity. How about offering the single blade version as well.

Has anyone taken one of these computerized Fenixes apart and identified the microprocessor? I wonder if it can be reprogrammed.

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
EsthetiX said:
someone needs to come out with some kind of switch that slides up and down vertically (so you can just use a thumb easily) ... and it would be cool to cycle modes by clicking as you turn the head (kind of like how a ratchet clicks when you turn it).

You're definitely onto something, and both have been done individually already. Inova's 24/7 headlamp has a rotating bezel around the head for the seven different modes. But again, you have to rotate through all of them to turn it off, or get to the mode you want. But wouldn't it be cool to combine that idea with an additional simple on/off clickie or slider switch on the barrel near the head, which you can easily activate with your thumb as you grasp the light in your palm naturally? Then you can leave the bezel set wherever you use it most, and just use the on/off switch. I think we're onto something. Anybody listening? My money is waiting.

paulr

Flashaholic
By far the best multi-level UI is the Spy 005. It uses a knob.

Presumed_Lost

Newly Enlightened
Ledacholic Anonymous said:
Meant to start a thread like this myself. Get ride of the strobe and SOS <- especially this. They are useless!

Geez, at least try to show a little open-mindedness. Some people, myself included, see a real and clear value in the SOS, and can argue that side pretty effectively.

You don't, fine, it's your hide.. but I'm not making absolute statements that your preferences are "useless!".

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll see how well I tolerate the levels when I get one. As far as I understand it, you click on, then tap the switch (but not switch off) to go to the next level. Then just switch it off when you are done. I think when you turn on it doesnt remember the last setting, which would be ok with me if it started on medium, then went to high, then low, then strobe/whatever...

Actually I like the way the L1T works, and that would of been great with XRE.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the variable power detented selector ring idea myself. The first position would be variable power and use a magnet in the ring to trigger the sensor for the output selected. Rotate the ring full to the right for low, low output (1 lumen?) and then move to the left for higher levels.

The detents could be for max output, strobe and SOS so you know what you are going to get before you turn it on. Want max all the time? Leave it in detent #1 after the variable part. Strobe for detent #2 to check if fans are moving or for "tactical" use. If you don't want SOS detent #3, don't move the ring to the far left. :)

Make the tail clickly momentary/click for on/off. The ball bearing detent variable magnet ring would give all the control you want and the mode can be selected by feel before you turn the light on. The cost of such a selector is obviously quite high (see Surefire U2 for details) How much would you be will to pay for such a selector on a single AA light?

kh74

Newly Enlightened
waynejitsu said:
IMO, it is a waste!!!

Waste of what???

Money? Space? Battery life?

I don't see anything wasted with SOS, just potential benefit that might save your family's life some day.

Esthan

Enlightened
There is a way.
Do not buy those models and simply wait for another ones, like L1D.

And those modes are not stupid :]

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
" Is there any way to kill or change these stupid modes in fenix lights?"

Yep, if there is no reverse polarity protection, install the battery the wrong way.:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
i like and need all the Fenix P1D CE modes and Fenix should not remove these modes.

who does not like or need these modes should buy something else.

Presumed_Lost

Newly Enlightened
kh74 said:
Waste of what???

Money? Space? Battery life?

I don't see anything wasted with SOS, just potential benefit that might save your family's life some day.

Good question. I don't have my PID CE yet, but as I understand the switch, if you don't like the strobe or SOS modes, you should NEVER have to see them to operate the flashlight. Presuming, of course, that you can count up to three reliably.

I fail to see a downside.

piper

Newly Enlightened
How about hold the button down 5 sec. to get strobe and a bit longer or next click while in strobe to get SOS (with proper spec'ed timing). That way you never have to see those modes unless you want to and there would be no difference in manufacturing cost.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened
Presumed_Lost said:
Good question. I don't have my PID CE yet, but as I understand the switch, if you don't like the strobe or SOS modes, you should NEVER have to see them to operate the flashlight. Presuming, of course, that you can count up to three reliably.

I fail to see a downside.

Correct. If you switch the light on it starts on medium then the cycle goes high > low > strobe > sos. It always starts on medium power. You never have to see the strobe or sos mode if you don't want to.

I think they are great features, especially on a keychain type light. You never know when you need to signal for help.