Tigerlight Christmas Story Part 2

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
We are giving a Tigerlight to our security guard for Christmas, it arrived today and I enjoyed the short time we had together (boo-hoo). Our security guard, Gene, is 59. He is around 4'10" tall and might weigh 110 pounds. He was a tunnel rat in Vietnam where he won the Bronze Star for valor, I have read the citation, it's amazing. He wears size 5 shoes, the smallest they had in Vietnam was an 8 when he got there. When he won the Bronze Star a General presented it to him and asked if there was anything he needed and Gene said, "Yes, a pair of boots that fit." A week later they delivered him a size 5 pair of boots, he believes they were custom made. He is the nicest most appreciative guy you could ever meet and although he doesn't make much money he would give you the shirt off his back. He will get the light and some cash from us. When we give him the light and the money he will cry and many of us may cry as well, not me though, I leave the room before I start. I know this because this will be the third year we have given him a nice gift. I imagine he has been ignored his whole adult life, doesn't have much family, only a Mom that lives a few hours away. I can't put into words how good it makes me feel and how much I look forward to giving him a gift every year. I brought him a Thanksgiving dinner last month, (we were closed but he was working, he works from 5pm-5am) that nearly made him cry. He has thanked me 4-5 times since then for bringing him that meal. Tonight I watched him lock approximately 300 cars in the rain. When he got done he came in the building, didn't complain about the cold or rain, no not at all. Gene had a big smile on his face, like normal and just went and got himself a cup of coffee. Gene will retire in another 3 years when he is eligible for social security. He lives in a house with no AC or heat, says it's just a waste of money. Gene doesn't need much and would NEVER buy a light. I gave him a Pelican L-1 last month and he told me he showed it to all the deputies that stop by and see him at night and said they were really impressed. I really doubt they were impressed with the L-1, they are impressed with Gene, just like us. Wait until they see the Tigerlight, then they will be impressed! I would get in front of this little man with the heart of a lion if anyone ever tried to do him harm but after next week he won't really need me, he will have a Tigerlight and boy will he be proud.

It's not about money or power, it's about the impact you make on the people around you. We are so blessed and many of us never take the time to realize it or say thanks. When you are making your rounds this Christmas remember all those Gene's out there. Too many good people are too often forgotten and if nothing else, thank them for who and what they are, the heart and soul of America.

Merry Christmas,
David

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
David..I'm moved by Gene's story. It's one thing to give to the needy during this season but you always wonder if your generosity is appreciated. It certainly sounds like Gene will remember this gift forever. Nice going!

Marty

brightnorm

Flashaholic
David,

That is a beautiful story. I actually teared up a bit which I didn't expect.

You have a gift for writing, as I'm sure you know.
This would make a perfect Reader's Digest piece. (No, I don't turn up my nose at the Digest as is fashionable to do in some quarters)

Brightnorm

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
David,
I'm touched with your story. I was fixing to order me a holder for my TL. If you think it would be useful, I'll order 2 & send 1 to you for Gene. Let me know. (I like to give things to people that expect to work for what they get & don't expect to have the world handed to them) TX

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow...you must work with a great bunch of guys to come up with that nice of a gift. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

On another note. Where I work the Vietnam Vets are all retiring at a huge rate. It's sad to see them go. They bring a special something to the job. Attitude,wit,experience and a certain outlook that is funny, serious and for lack of a better word "crazy".
smile.gif
A real special group of people.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great story, I just got up and reading this thread has cheered me up for the day
icon14.gif

Bucky

Enlightened
A very nice and touching story, especially during this holiday season. Thanks for sharing it with us
smile.gif
. You should print this out and show Gene for the ultimate in tear-jerking moments
wink.gif

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you and yours,

Bucky

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
txwest,
Thanks for the offer. I was thinking about that last night. I decided we would just get him a Maglite ring holder if that would work, any comments? If you think not, then order (2) that would be great. Me and the guys will be happy to pay for it. We can e-mail if you or others don't think the Maglite ring will work well.

Charles,
He has power at the house.

Bucky,
A nice thought but I am personally limited to one tear a year and the thought of 15 guys crying twice in one season is too much to handle. It is so fun to watch when we call Gene in the office to present his gift. 15-16 guys huddled around him while he opens it. Our average size is 6'0" and 220 pounds, Gene just disappears in the huddle. Within 30 seconds of opening the gift the room is cleared as each one of us has to go hide in our respective office. It's a bit too much emotion for a bunch of middle age rednecks.

Footnote: Gene does not carry a Gun, knife or other. It is expressly forbidden. He currently has an issued cell phone, pepper spray can and the Pelican L1. One of the Sheriffs deputies comes by every night that he works to see Gene around 3AM and brings him a cup of coffee, it not just us that feel this way. I will take a photo of Gene and the light when we give it to him next week and post it. When Gene first started one of the Guys called him, "Walking Small". It was meant as a joke, not a funny one to Gene or anyone else. Gene was deeply hurt and the guy that said it was nearly more deeply hurt. He got to "visit" with the likes of me and some of the other boys. He even got a 1 on 1 with the owner and was told, "Say it again and you will be looking for another job." He really meant no harm and he and Gene are now friends. I imagine this is more than most of you want to hear. Keep in mind I write because it gives me an outlet for emotion. I cannot force myself to be a touchy-feely guy. I would never show this post to a coworker or Gene. I showed it to my wife, with hesitation. She left the room, she knows it bothers me to see her cry. I have a 14 year old daughter so I keep a sign on my office wall that says, "If you make my daughter cry, I will make you cry" I was a Captain of Marines, I chew iron and spit nails, at least that's what I tell everyone. Thanks for the nice comments.

David

Lighthouse

Enlightened
Dave,

You know how to light up peoples lives, in more ways than one. You shared Gene's touching story with us, which, speaking for myself, & I suspect for others as well, made us appreciate life a bit more and encouraged us to think of similar ways that we could show our appreciation to those around us.

Regarding your comment about writing as a stress relief, I concur. Thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to reading/seeing the presentation.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Well done Dave
icon14.gif
. I appreciate your story and respect you and your bubbas efforts to give something to a very deserving man. We need more of that spirit in this world. God Bless...

Albany Tom

Enlightened
One of my closest friends is a Vietnam vet. As you guys have described, there is a loyalty and kindness that they have that I can't describe.

Thanks for sharing the story.

Latest posts