that's it...I'm sellin everything I own on Ebay

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: that\'s it...I\'m sellin everything I own on Ebay

logical..You know that everyone on eBay doesn't know right from wrong. I've got a dozen stories where I was the seller and the buyer paid more than retail because they got caughtup in a bidding frenzy.

Marty

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys, don't say everyone, okay? I am an eBay buyer. If I am looking for something, and I think the price is reasonable (buy it now), I will likely buy it. If it is a regular auction, I only bid to the point that I think is reasonable (and can afford).

Granted, many DO get caught up in a bidding war. Computer memory dutch auctions are a good example of this.
rolleyes.gif

That's the way auctions work.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

I agree w/ Charles. Auctions, even virtual, can be exciting. My family has learned that we have to set a maximum price and then stick with it, or less
smile.gif
Sometimes you shake your head and say 'I can't believe they spent so much for that.'
Sometimes you shake your head and say 'I can't believe I got such a great buy.'
The funny thing is, is that both things are said about the same Item.
One other comment--I see alot of people complaining about ebay and PayPal fees. It is part of doing business. For a small retailer CC fees tend to be high, PayPal is a good alternative. The exposure you get on ebay is incredible for what you pay, advertising is expensive.
I hope you find the right gifts Owen. What will you follow up with next year? And how does one get on your list
grin.gif

darkgear.com

Enlightened

Logical,

Yes you should sell everything you have on eBay. Although these kind of prices only happen during Christmas time. You should check history and see what the last one sold for... While you're at it look what my last 6P + KL3 sold for...

Best regards,
Randy

logical

Newly Enlightened

or you could just tell me

larry

Newly Enlightened

Mekki,

What amazes me even more is that the beer can was empty.

Larry

logical

Newly Enlightened

Grrrrrr $172.52. I love the free market system. More power to you darkgear.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I won't sell something to someone for more than I think its worth. I've already had one auction that went a little crazy and I told the winning bidder a lower price because I didn't want him to pay what the auction ended up being.

I expect that people won't screw me over and I try my hardest not to screw anyone else over.

Some of you people need to watch Miracle on 34th Street again this coming Christmas.

Mark

logical

Newly Enlightened

That 'miricle" reccomendation was a little harsh there Minjin, especially coming from such a sweetheart of a guy.

mekki

Newly Enlightened

Now that this is in the Cafe, check out this $19,299 beer can!

eBay continues to amaze and delight me.

logical

Newly Enlightened

cafe?? it was a flashlight auction!!!!

Albany Tom

Enlightened

Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Guys, don't say everyone, okay? I am an eBay buyer. If I am looking for something, and I think the price is reasonable (buy it now), I will likely buy it. If it is a regular auction, I only bid to the point that I think is reasonable (and can afford).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Forgive me in advance for this one....

"everyone on eBay doesn't know right from wrong"

Actually, that's correct, it logically means the same as "all don't know", or "not everyone on eBay knows right from wrong". The other phrasing is just more common.

DonL

Enlightened

I don't get that from the phrasing.

What's intended to be said isn't what was written.

Remove the modifiers. "Everyone doesn't know." A blanket statement or generalization insinuating that nobody on eBay knows right from wrong.

I think we went to different public schools together...
icon3.gif

I think we can agree on the statement that there are a large number of impulsive idiots on eBay who are willing to pay any price for baubles, trinkets, gadgets, gizmos, and widgets as long as they live under the impression that auctions save you money.
yellowlaugh.gif

Spork

Enlightened

I've sold a lot of things but only bought 3 items from ebay. my first buy was 200 2016 batteries for about 25 bucks. that was a great deal but I resold them because I have a arc now. my second buy was a pair of handheld cb's. they didn't transmit properly and battery acid was leaked all over inside them. the seller some how forgot to mention this. the second time I bought the dvd Panic Room. after the cost of a stamp and the fee for a money order it was about 15 dollars. everywhere else had it for 20 dollars. I just noticed the other day deepdiscountdvd has it brand new for 17 something. a good bargain is hard to find on ebay so i stay away. I would rather pay a few extra dollars for a new movie from a store I trust than hassle with ebay. some movies you can get very cheap on ebay but that probably means they suck and I wouldnt want them anyway. I sold a speed controller that came with my ready to run r/c car for about 30 bucks! if you want one that works with better motors and lasts longer your going to pay 60-70 dollars. I almost felt guilty about it even though the item was in like new condition. why not just pay a little more and get something high quality that will save you money in the long run? well I'm a seller and ebay has been working out great for me. I've been clearing stuff out of my house and getting paid for it!

Chris

logical

Newly Enlightened

It isn't so much the common stuff that I sell on Ebay that makes it worthwhile...it's more the stuff I would typically throw away because there was no good way to find that one other guy in the world who wanted what I had. Ebay offers that...it's like having a garage sale but a million people come and they are people looking for stuff you have spread out on your little card tables..

Two examples...

I bought an antique pool table last year and the guy rthrew in two things with it free...an ugly old bronze pool table light that ws too small for the table I thought...and an old chrome bodied dirt devil type hand vacuum with the brunswick logo on the bag. Junk right?...no use for either one and i nearly put them in the garbage. the lamp brought $225 and the vacuum turns out to be a highly desireable collectors item to pool table buffs and brings $145.

Was at a gun show a few years ago and saw a zippo lighter with a golfer on it....was new and looked cool...had the logo of a local course on the back and I paid $18...stuck it in a drawer. Afew months ago I looked at a few auctions for similar zippos, turns out it was made in the 60's.....sold for $125 to a guy in Japan.

The point is you need to look at Ebay like a gun show, or a flea market....you need to do your homework...know what stuff is worth, how fast it sells, what is hot...and it can be a great tool.

Note that I am not ripping anybody off here...to them they got what they wanted. i will spare you the story of how I sold the 8 pairs of pants that didn't fit me after I lost some weight.

Spork

Enlightened

delete