A decent little LED 1AAA for under six bucks!

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
I'm talking about the little Dorcy "L.E.D. Light" that is usually on the pegs in the camping section of Walmart. I got it for $5 and change the other day.

Now, I've had a few of them before, and was pleased with them. I even gave a few away as gifts.

Every now and then, I check back in that area to see if, by any chance, there are Mag Solitaire LEDs (I have not gone in search of info on when/whether they will be released. Anyone know?). So I was looking at these Dorcy lights again, and noticed that they now have a magnifying lens. I was intrigued, and so I bought one.

I got it home and compared it to one of my other older ones. The older one produces a good amount of light, in a compact, durable body. It has good spill, and fair throw for such a small, low-powered light. It's pretty good to read by, actually.

The new one, on the other hand, now that it has a magnifying lens, produces a distinct spot of light. Mine is a nice bluish-white. There is a definite blue aurora at the edge of the spot -- something that I find aesthetically pleasing. In fact, I would compare the spot from this Dorcy light almost directly to that of the Inova X1 before they changed it from spot to flood.

It's funny how the X1 was a full-moon spot and now it's a flood; and the little Dorcy was a flood and now it's a full-moon spot.

Anyway, it's a product that puts out good light from readily available batteries, for six bucks. I recommend them.

jnj1033

Newly Enlightened
Regarding Solitaire LED's, I emailed Mag last summer, and they told me they had (at the time) no plans to produce an LED Soli.

I wish they would too; it's a great form factor.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
jnj1033 said:
.. I emailed Mag last summer, and they told me they had (at the time) no plans to produce an LED Soli...
In keeping with their long tradition of providing agile, innovative, cutting edge technical products....:grin2:

I'm surprised they haven't sued Fenix, Ultrafire, et al for copying their trademark cylindrical 1AAA flashlight body shape....

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
nerdgineer said:
In keeping with their long tradition of providing agile, innovative, cutting edge technical products....:grin2:

I'm surprised they haven't sued Fenix, Ultrafire, et al for copying their trademark cylindrical 1AAA flashlight body shape....

Uhuh... sued them... in china... for trademark violations... :laughing: