Mini-mag upgrade question

D-Dog

Enlightened
I want to buy a mini-mag, however, I also want it to be a lot brighter than the stock incan version. I know about the various LED upgrades/mods, however, it appears that Mag's 2aa LED is even brighter (in terms of throw and overall) than any of these upgrades. I really like the incan streamlight tl3 upgrade, however, I don't have anywhere near 80 dollars lying around right now. My question is this: What should I buy???

1. 2aa LED mini-mag: I like it for its size and cost, however, if there is a brighter mini-mag, I will take it

2. 3aa LED mini-mag: Little more akward body at the expense for better runtime and brightness. Still a nice cost

3. Buy an incan version to mod: Mod could be incan or led, just has to be bright and not too expensive

Thanks in advance :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
D-Dog said:
I like it for its size and cost, however, if there is a brighter mini-mag, I will take it
like size? in a Minimag? in a LED-minimag?
:thinking:

Fenix, if size and cost is important (L2S, L2T)
L1T on 14500 if size is the main thing.

hotwire mod with ceramic socket, high power bulb and 2 pc. 14500s, if output. (if You can find the sockets)

if You do not need the light INSTANTLY, wait for more Cree-Led models being available.

swampgator

Enlightened
65535 said:
The TL-3 mod for a Minimag can be had for righ taround $30

The Aurora Mod will cost a bit more:
Kit $23.99
14500 700 mAh (unprotected) AA - $5.19 each ($10.38 for 2)
14500 750 mAh (protected) AA - $9.99 each ($19.98 for 2)
Streamlight TL-3 bulb $ 8.49
15 mm Aluminum battery spacer - $1.99 each ($ 3.98 for 2)
DSD Charger $13.99
Total: 700mAh unprotected $60.83
Total: 750mAh protected $70.43

Still, it's on my list of Mods to do!

Last edited:

frasera

Newly Enlightened
argh you jumped a moment too late, the 3aa was on sale at homedepot until the 1st:p
ah well, anyways the 3aa is the best value. adding the cost of upgrade to regular aa = expensive. 3aa is the brightest and you can't mod in that extra battery;)
flashlightreviews.com has reviews on all of em

thunderlight

Enlightened
Rather than the 2AA minimagled, you might want to consider the Inova Victorinox 2AA model. From what I can tell [based on unscientific observation], it has better regulation than the minimag. Otherwise it is the same size and similar output. I like the tint of the minimag a bit better, however. This may be a lottery issue.

Otherwise, I really like the 3AA minimagled especially with rechargeables. Even without rechargeables, it seems to be quite bright for much of the alkaline discharge curve. However the 3AA is definitely too bright for task light as the minimags in their original form might have been used.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Minimag is a good buy, and if you like the old version you will like the new version. If you carry in an open bottom belt case like the Uncle Mikes the new version will fit in nicely, and the velcroed flap will even close.

One of the best things about them is just like the old version, something goes wrong, you can take them back just about anywhere and have a new one before it gets dark again. No having to mail them in unless they are a couple years old or something and have to be sent to the factory.

PABLO2

Newly Enlightened
My minimag led (2 cel) is a dud. Unreliable, does not always turn on, switches itself off, junk. pablo2

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My minimag led (2 cel) is a dud. Unreliable, does not always turn on, switches itself off, junk

Thats one of the good things, you can take it back where you got it and get another, or your money back, easy.

Vickers

Enlightened
thunderlight said:
...the 3AA is definitely too bright for task light as the minimags in their original form might have been used.

That's a very good point. I use my 3AA MM LED more like what I used to use 2D or 2C incans for.

To keep the regular MM as a task light, 5 bucks at WalMart gets you the NiteIze drop-in, and about 8 times the runtime. You may lose a tad of overall light (I hear this said, but it seems brighter to me, or at least more *usable* light), but it's perfect for a close flood (up to 4 feet), or for maneuvering around the house when the kiddies are asleep.

Last edited:

D-Dog

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your quick responses. I like the idea of the tl-3 upgrade a lot, however, I emailed Lighthound and he said that they won't have any more kits in stock till the beginning of March :(, plus the whole kit's price is a little steep right now for me, so, I think I might go with the K-2 upgrade. Has anyone heard anything good/bad about it? Better yet, does anyone own one. Thanks to all in advance:)

frasera

Newly Enlightened
i just use a headlight for a task light. frees a hand, and unless you get a rather insane model the light isn't so bright that its blinding up close.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If the added length doesn't bother you, go with the 3AA model. Although definitely brighter than the 2AA version, that model is closer to the original Mini-Mag and is no slouch either.

Now that Maglite finally got off its lazy a$$ and decided to catch up with the rest of the industry, there's really no need to go with option #3.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
thunderlight said:
Rather than the 2AA minimagled, you might want to consider the Inova Victorinox 2AA model.

In a word, "no."

I loved the look of the light, so I bought one. It's given me the biggest headache of any light I've ever owned..... including cheap, no-name models from China!

The threads are too sharp and easily cut into the O-ring. Even worse, the one I bought was bone-dry! Not even a minimalist amout of lube on the threads. Considering you have to twist the head to turn the light on, and have to twist the head off to change batteries; the lack of lube is just plain unacceptable. :thumbsdow

The dead batteries that came with the light was another problem. The head got stuck as I tried to put in a fresh pair. I tossed that light in the sewer, then bought another one a week later because I wanted to know if the 1st light was a rare lemon.... It wasn't. This time though, I was able to get the head off. Bone-dry lubes again! Went to the corner pharmacy, got a small jar of Vasoline.... that shouldn't be standard practice when buying a light.

Get the 2AA Mini-magLED instead.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
3AA Minim*g LED!

Brighter than 2AA, slightly longer runtime, and fades at the end rather than blink off like the 2AA.

Personally, I have a Fenix P1 as my EDC. And I'm after a JetBeam Cree AA for using NimH for free lumens.

But the M*gleds are GOOD STUFF!