any kl3 beamshots? **update**

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all

i have been intersted in a new genIII Kl3 for qiet a while now. i love the regulattion and the runtime, but i am kinda iffy about the beam. i will manly be using the light outdoors, fishing, hiking. i have seen beamshots on www.flashlightreviews.com but i want to see others and i would like to know your opinion on it.

thanks!

Last edited:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: any kl3 beamshots?

You should try to look at one in person. Beam profile is personal preference. Some people like spot beams while others like floods. I prefer a good combination where I have a good, bright hotspot for good throw while also have decently bright spill beam for close and medium range siting and navigation. The KL3 isn't a pure spot tho as there is still a small bit of spill (referenced by others often as corona). Personally, it's still too spot for me as it doesn't provide as much spill as I'd like and find useful as I described above. But the spot beam provides for good throw while not having to produce a lot of lumens. A KL3 only makes about 30 lumens total, but it can throw as well as lights making twice that because it focuses the light into the spot. However, I would still prefer the light that makes twice the lumens even if half of that is in the spill as I find spill like very useful. No beam shots as I've only played with KL3s and not owned one. I don't own one because I prefer more spill, tho I do like the long runtime. However, there are other offerings now available that offer very long runtimes...the Lumapower M1 comes to mind. I think it runs for 4hrs+ before starting to decline (there's a runtime chart somewhere...reviews maybe, or mfr's corner). The M1 has good spill and decent throw. My Huntlight FT-01 runs for a long time and has great throw and plenty of useful spill. On an 18650, chevrofreak has tested the FT-01 to run about 2.5hrs before starting to decline (I believe). Sorry, not sure if that was helpful. It'd be best if you could see one in person. I'm lucky to have a store that sells SFs nearby, tho they don't have all models all the time, but they have a decent selection, especially around the holidays.

Danbo

Enlightened

I think you'll like the beam of the KL3. I know I did, until I got my L5. Since then, nothing has come close for me.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Danbo said:
I think you'll like the beam of the KL3. I know I did, until I got my L5. Since then, nothing has come close for me.
so i should just skip the kl3 and go for the kl5?

thanks

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast

KL5's pretty floody...not enough throw for me, but great for lighting up a room (indoor use). A KL6 is a good compromise of hot spot for throw and useful spill.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get a kl3 for throw work and a kl4 for flood work is how I look at it. You know it is the CPF way get both
and both are great.
There is no doubt about it. The KL3 is ALL spot. There is virtually no side spill at all.
It is not my favorite beam but it is still very useful down range.
I like the KL4 very much it is a hotspot which widens out to a flood light. I have always been very happy with the kl3/kl4 combination. The KL5 head is too big to be in the ball park here.
Have fun
Yaesumofo

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get the KL3! I really like it. Having said that, I also like the KL4, Kl5, and KL6. Oh heck, get them all!

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
so i went ahead and traded my freind for a KL3 wich we ordered through tactical supply and steven was nice enough to email me and tell me that they were out of stock and they should have them in very soon.i also asked him to be sure and send the newest version with the fresnel lense and the more squared off version. so i will let you all know what i think of it when it gets here.

Xygen

Enlightened
The new version is the one with rings on the lens, right?

Xygen

Enlightened
I just ordered the KL3 a few days ago together with the L5.
When was this new KL3 head introduced? Just wondering if I get the new one...

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xygen said:
I just ordered the KL3 a few days ago together with the L5.
When was this new KL3 head introduced? Just wondering if I get the new one...
it was about 5 or 6 months (i think) but i do know that if you orderd from www.tacticalsupply.com you will get the newest KL3 but you may have to wait if you orderd through them cuz he is waiting the another shipment to come in pretty soon.