Comp USA $3 LED USB light

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
In today's Comp USA ad they have a $3 USB Notebook Light - description says "Xenon" Blue color light - but it's actually a nice white LED! Cost at the store or on the web is actually $13, minus $5 instant savings, minus mail in $5 rebate = $3! (Comp USA sku #293318, Targus Mfg #PA015B)
<a href="http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product%5Fcode=293318&csearch=1&cmid=gosku" target="_blank">

Click on pic for details...
pa015u_accessories_b.jpg
</a>

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
"Picture link updated..."

Now why do they have to say, provide "Xenon" illumination anywhere?

Why don't they just say "LED"? I guess it's still at that early stage where the consumer is "Aw, we've done it the other way for years, this will never work" phase?

Saaby

Flashaholic
I think it's because of things like this, which is what happens when I hand my Arc AAA to somone:

They aim it right at their eye and twist....
Me: "Turn it the other way, and don't look at it..it's bright"
Them: "What? Oh...the head came off, guess I twist it the other way"
Me: "Yeah..."
Them: "Ouch!
shocked.gif
this thing's bright"
Me: "No joke
twak.gif
"
Them: "Oh look! It's blue! Kewl!"
Me: "
bluesigh.gif
"

I think they's why they say Xenon--because that's what most people associate with HID, which they associate with expensive cars with blue headlights...

star882

Enlightened
My friend Caitlin Williams has a 1w LS mounted on a pentium heatsink powered from a wall wart.
She uses it as a keyboard light.
Once her boyfriend, DJ File, looked into the LED as he turned it on(he did not believe it is LED as it is so bright).
Guess most people associate LED with dim(until they see how bright modern LEDs are).