Fenix, Jetbeam or Wait and see

Which single AA Cree XRE light are you leaning towards?

• Fenix L1D CE

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • JetBeam 1AA

Votes: 60 26.4%
  • Both

Votes: 33 14.5%
  • Wait for the market to develop a little more

Votes: 80 35.2%

• Total voters

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
Pretty straightforward poll. Both Fenix and Jetbeam have soon to be released single AA XRE lights. I'm interested is seeing which way CPF'ers are leaning.

x2x3x2

Banned
For me the lights are pretty much the same out and performance, aside from price difference. The deciding factor for me in the end would be design. Currently leaning to the Jetbeam AA twisty, i like the knurling along the body and head which is different than the other chinese AA lights released reecntly.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd probably lean Jetbeam, but I'm interested in the PWM frequency of the light. If it's 60Hz, or anywhere near that I'll be passing. I'm very sensitive to flicker, and I don't want a flashlight with it.

InfidelCastro

Banned
x2x3x2 said:
For me the lights are pretty much the same out and performance, aside from price difference. The deciding factor for me in the end would be design. Currently leaning to the Jetbeam AA twisty, i like the knurling along the body and head which is different than the other chinese AA lights released reecntly.

I like the look of the light and the natural HA finish. Seems a tiny bit slimmer too.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix for the clickie but the Jetbeam is priced very nicely.... Might have to get both..haha... but I'll EDC the Fenix since its clickie and can support 14500.

If the Jetbeam was just a souped-up MKII with everything else remaining the same, then I'd go Jet. I prefer the Type III HA natural color and quality on it compared to Fenix HA. My Fenix lights get scratched up pretty easily.

Btw, I notice no one gives a damn what the Flux and Tint bins are for the new Crees, except in a Cree LED group buy. In new lights, everyone just goes "CREE!!" and buys the light. Whereas for the Luxes, we all prefer a UW0H to a TWOJ.

So how come no one cares if its a Cree Q3 instead of a P3?

Doesn't 100+ lumens at 350ma sound better than 85 lumens at 350ma? Doesn't anyone care about the tint anymore?

I'd think in the current situation, a P4 would be a minimum acceptable bin that won't make it feel too obsolete when the Q3s and above start churning out. If its any lesser than that, I'm sure these lights are going to go out of fashion or need upgrades *really* soon.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait and see. I'll upgrade my L1T to Seoul P4 a while.

Hellbore

Enlightened
Guys... What forum is this? Oh it's CPF? That's what I thought... So obviously the correct answer is BOTH! I can't believe that given that choice, any of you actually chose any other answer...

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
I would have put both but was only able to order the Jetbeam today.
Will be waitng for the Fenix but may have to replace my LOP SE with a Cree veresion first. The LOP SE is still my favorite for EDC. I got one of Lumapower Mini D and it is fantastic outside. Little weight and size. Acts like a Magcharger.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Er, um... change my vote. x2x3x2 GB is too hard to resist.

infection0

Newly Enlightened
If Jetbeam had a clicky, I would buy two instantly. For now, I'm waiting to see if Fenix pumps out its light in time and affordably....

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now, with the Jetbeam so inexpensive, I might pick it up just to play with a CREE. Also lets me a get a good look at Jetbeam's PWM to see how much I hate it. $29, that's practically free! :) Then when the Jetbeam AA comes out with a clicky, I'll decide on whether to pick up a Fenix or Jetbeam clicky as my higher-end AA CREE light.

If either of these companies comes out with a decent interface for a clicky (I judge both to be horrendous), they'll probably get my $$$ for a long time.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had too much success with Fenix build quality lately.

P1 Flickered, head/tail didn't match color at all.

P1D-CE#1 Loose threads.

P1D-CE#2 Emitter badly off center, beam is hyperbolic.

It will be pleasant to personally experience the Jetbeam quality I've heard so much about.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know what the frequency of the PWM is on the Jetbeam?

Led_Blind

Enlightened
The Jetbeam looks to be a good chepie to throw in the car...

Not to fussed with clickies in lights that small, twisties keep them small :)

infection0

Newly Enlightened
Oh god, I just ordered a Jetbeam, I figured if it's so inexpensive I can jump now :)