3AA MagLed has "bluish" tint?

coppertrail

Enlightened
Picked up a second 3AA MagLED for work this evening. My first 3AA MagLED has a nice bright, white light. This one is not as bright, and has what I'd call a "Bluish" tint.

Would this be considered a defect?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
That's the Lottery at play. If you got it somewhere where returns aren't a hassle, and it isn't TOO far away; I'd go try again until I was happy!

I destroyed my blueish 3AA trying to get it apart (and lost the LED as well!).

coppertrail

Enlightened
That's what I'm going to do. Did a beamshot comparison on a white wall, and the difference among the output color is significant. The color of the new light is actually bluish green.

Looks like I picked a winner the first time around :)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw lots of tints with these minimags.

Blue is not the worst,it's actually fairly nice and seems to be brighter than white -- in my case.

Yellow is nasty though.

Even the worst one is fairly nice however. 3AA - super nice light;

frasera

Newly Enlightened
heh i have two now and it seems one is definetly has a bluish tint compared to the other. sort of like nicia white instead of real white.

frasera

Newly Enlightened
kinda annoying having to exchange stuff packaged in blister packs. i guess they send it back to the factory for repackaging. too bad mag doesn't demand better quality control/consistent binning from luxeon.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I agree. This evening, I was browsing through the Surefire catalog and learned about the "LED Bins". Looks like this one came from the "Blue Bin".

frasera

Newly Enlightened
i guess they figure most of their customers don't know or don't care. still, it would be nice if they simply marked on the packages what tint each comes with. but i guess with their accounting its cheaper to suffer a few returns. personally i like white, but not blue, warmer is slightly better, i don't like nichia white

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same experience when I went to buy my 2AA MagLed, The first one
had a very Bluish violet tint and was only half as bright as it should have been, It went staight back, the replacement one was much brighter and has a nice white tint.

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk
My 3AA 3W Mag looks pretty nice when alone. When I compare it to my B60GT, FF3, and other "nice" lights, it looks a little green, but only when compared to those nicer lights. Not bad for $15 at the Depot though. :)

- Chris

coppertrail

Enlightened
Even if I knew nothing about LED flashlights, I would have immediately realized that my original MagLED was much better (color and brightness). I was shocked at the difference. Having recently purchased a Surefire L4, I have an appreciation for high quality LEDs. I am going to return it and leave it at that. If I see them at Home Depot for $15.98, I might "play the lottery" again. :)

frasera

Newly Enlightened
played the lottery again, a sickly green:( i wonder how many more times i have to lose. gonna be fun explaining this to the return clerk if they start to wonder lol:)

partipilo

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a 3AA MagLED. Its tint is very very similar (almost exact) to my 2AA MagLED. It is basically perfectly white. Definietly brighter. probably 2x as bright as the 2AA. Just my observations, heh, it is called the luxeon lottery for a reason :D

frasera

Newly Enlightened
partipilo said:
I just picked up a 3AA MagLED. Its tint is very very similar (almost exact) to my 2AA MagLED. It is basically perfectly white. Definietly brighter. probably 2x as bright as the 2AA. Just my observations, heh, it is called the luxeon lottery for a reason :D

yea i have one that is perfectly white too, that is a good comfortable natural looking white light.

its the only one we should really accept paying for. sickly green and bluish is just not right.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just Got my 3AA MagLed the other day, this one is very white and nice and bright, slightly whiter than my 2AA MagLed

coppertrail

Enlightened
Returned mine this afternoon. The associate asked if there was a reason I was returning it. I said it had a cr@p LED in it. He laughed and promptly issued me a refund :)

I might try my luck at the 3AA MagLED lottery again if I find them again on sale @ Home Depot.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
It ain't a terrible deal at the regular Walmart price ya know.

I know Lowes isn't the place to get one!

Good luck on the lottery! I haven't actually WON yet, but I've gotten close enough most times lately...