Jus' sittin' here daydreaming ...

Tomas

Banned
Jus\' sittin\' here daydreaming ...

I've cobbled together a couple of simple mods, and thought a bit about what, for me, would be a nearly ideal light. I'm still a newbie to modifying flashlights, and have very little anymore in the way of any tools to do the job, but I can still dream, eh?

I'm going to post a picture here of a flashlight I'd like to create. Maybe the donor already exists, maybe it doesn't. If it does exist my hope is that one of you fine people will sit down here at the table and tell me what I need to roll out the door to buy.

My problem is that I have a very good idea what features I want the light to have and have not seen a quality donor.

imagine02.jpg

Basicly this is a simple idea. I actually like the *ini*ag as a doner, because it is so simple to work with and all the parts fit (20 years of producing the same product does have it's advantages). Thing is I would like a switch, a real push-the-button switch, to turn it on and off.

I thought maybe the Dorcy AA would be a good doner, but the head assembly is a poor joke with no way to properly install a decent lens, the S&W version of the light, made by PowerTech is even worse.

What I need is a body with a decent switch (not a tail-switch), a fairly weatherproof set of seals, the ability to install a rugged and clear lens, and the ability to accept something like Wayne's excellent BB400 and NX05 optics.

Anyone out there know of a donor light that wouild work? If so I hope you can let me know before I destroy a *ini*ag and a Dorcy trying to get them to mate right here on my desktop ...
shocked.gif

Thanks a lot for reading through all this trash, I'm new enought at all this that I don't even know what's proper to ask or where to ask it.

Take care,
tomsig01.gif
stickguy.gif

Main

B@rt

Flashaholic
Re: Jus\' sittin\' here daydreaming ...

Hi Thomas,
I'm sure somebody here can help you, I've seen pics of lights like that, I just can't remember right now..
icon15.gif

(Brainclouds...
tongue.gif
)

Not sure if it is intended, but the message from your manically depressed server really cracked me up...
grin.gif

btw, great job on the pic!

Tomas

Banned

Those that he has sound like one that I have right here. Decent simple switch, fairly solid, not that bad a job at machining the parts, but a bad joke head with a very soft, not all that clear, plastic lens (that is affected by alcohol, no less!) that is glued in to the head.

One has to physically damage the lens to even get the reflector out of the head. I could just epoxy a good lens into the head after removing the reflector and old lens and installing the '05 optics, but I'd like to have a better head than that.

Hopefully, like you said earlier, someone knows of a version that has what I'm looking for.

tomsig01.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior

Hey B@rt that is Wits' End
smile.gif
. Most of the time I have more than one wit so it is a plural possesive. Thanks for the Link to my topic.
Tomas, I hope some one has what you are looking for, I'll get one or more also. It didn't occur to me that the lens would be glued in. When I got the Nordic Lights

Tomas

Banned

Had a thought while packing for a short vacation today.

We have some very good machinists on CPF, and I'm wondering if any of them might have the ability and willingness to possibly modify an existing head into something that would work the way I would like it to.

How 'bout I give people a week to think about this, and I'll check to see if there are any nibbles on my idea in a week. OK?

The Idea
Take one of my existing Dorcy aluminum 2AA heads, turn down the front of it for an "O" ring and threads. This would allow me to grab the front lens retaining ring, and "O" rings from a *ini*ag, toss in a good glass or sapphire lens, and complete a good conversion of this switched 2AA I have ...

Here's a pic to see if it might make sense to anyone:

dorag_head.jpg

Drop me an e-mail if you might be willing to talk about this: [email protected]

Take care,
tomsig01.gif

main