Tornadoes on the Arkansas River.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 4:55 p.m. CST we have 8 confirmed tornadoes on the ground. The count is increasing by the minute. Two years ago we had 72 in one night.

*edit* 5:11 p.m. CST at least 9 on the ground. The newscasters can't keep up. State Police confirming sitings of large tornadoes and wall clouds. One fatality reported. Wall clouds are precursors of tornados. Looking at a towercam showing a wall cloud passing to the northwest of me. There are basically two trains of them stretching across most of the state.

*edit* 5:23 third train has formed to the south. This is not good.

*edit* 6:30 good news. The one headed at me got stacked up and turned in to a huge thunderstorm. When tornado producing storms stack up they compete for the energy in the atmosphere and lose rotation. Looks like it's going to be OK for now. Arizona is going to send a system to us tonight.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right. Charles, I remember that. This is not a good situation at all. There is a southern, high speed jet-stream, gulf air, a pacific cold front pushing a desert S.W. low all about to converge. You know how un-nerving a green sky is. You know how un-nerving it is to feel the barometric pressure drop to the point that your ears pop.

We had four trains for a while. They all got together and formed a single 900 mi. train.

Memphis and the rest of Tennesse will be in danger tonight. You might want to watch this one. She's a real b*tch. She's stretching from Austin through Shreveport, Camden, Memphis, southern Illinois, western Kentucky plowing through Indiana and is deep into your western border right now. 10:00 p.m. CST.

See: http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/mosaic_radar.asp?partner=msnbc&nav =home&type=loop&nxtype=RE&getarea=SC

I would appreciate your analysis.

Thanks.

-Ice

brightnorm

Flashaholic
This stuff scares the sh*t out of me. We nearly got hit at the Denver airport one summer years ago. I was at United AL's Denver-Aspen connection and they herded us all into the VIP lounge, told us to lie on the floor, and one character tried to get a group prayer going. I had a portable radio; they evacuated the tower and said the tornado was close to hitting, and then it missed us, but a section of Denver got two little ones.

Brightnorm

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey brightnorm-

Me too. We don't have mudslides, large earthquakes, hurricans, massive forest fires or tremdous floods here. Being surrounded by twenty tornadoes makes up for it. Before I moved here I used to think that being on the ground floor of a steel and brick commercial building was all that was needed. This I thought until I saw where an F4 exploded a house and embedded all the pieces deep into the side of a hill. Storm shelter? Yes, a good idea but if she wants you she'll tear the doors off and suck you and your little dog Toto right out of there.

It's all quiet here right now. No wind, no birds, no bugs...not a creature is stirring. Time for us to go upstairs and crash. Whew!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forget the year, but, my dad an I missed getting nailed by a tornado, by only 5 minutes. A fellow Skywarn member lucked out by only 100 feet! This was F0/F1, but who cares when it is on the ground??? (date was October 10). Sky wasn't green beforehand, more like a dirty orange either side of the Wall Cloud.

By the looks of things, pay attention to the Weather Channel if you get it down there. I think the worst is past you now. Skywarn is a group of Amateur Radio operators, who are trained observers for the NWS.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak: Oh, it was eerie.

picture:

Blue Sky.....Dirty Orange/Wall Cloud/Dirty Orange....Blue Sky.

No strange color below the wall cloud.

Heck of it was, I looked out of the car and saw 1 flash of cloud to cloud lightning and no precipitation. I looked back out the windshield and saw that. My words were Oh {fill in the blank}!

That was a strange storm. It dropped Golf ball sized hail in part of Mansfield. Started as a level 1 precip return and within 5 minutes went to a level 3 return (radar), plus changed direction.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dana-

I wondered what happened to it. The national news predicted more tornados from it but the weather radar showed it calming down. Now I know and I'm glad to hear it.

Charles-

That's one for the books. I've found that calling on the Creator is necessary and effective in situations like you were in. I was talking to him myself last night.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
The storm front is going past Birmingham, Alabama as I write. Somewhat windy but not bad. The temp outside has cooled off some from this morning and I think that may have been our saving grace as a large temp difference makes for larger storms.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak, there was no funnel at that time. My Spiritual training and Attainments would be called 'schizophrenia/delusional' by society (psychiatry), and demonic possession by Religion. I am used to being in a no-win situation. It is neither of what I mentioned. I don't know if the Order of Melchizedek means anything to you, but, that is my training.

The incident we've been talking about, took place before that training.

It seems that the sick green color is indicative of tornadic activity, accompanied by hail. Further, not everyone in the area sees these weird colors.

Could we be seeing energy, interpreted as colors, sort of like seeing an aura???

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
If I remember correctly, the green color is caused by a "light pipe" effect, where sunlight is hitting the top of the cloud tower and is shining down through the tower to the ground.