for those who use or have used a smoker

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
what tips would you reccomend, Do you cook you meat 3/4 of the amount of time you normally would and then finish it in the smoker, I have seen them but never owned one. Any and all tips suggestions welcome
Thanks

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've used the "Little Chief/Big Chief" series for fish, jerky, & smoked cheese. I basically followed the instructions in the little pamphlet that came with them and then customized my procedures "to taste".

Now I use a Cookshack smoker/cooker and along with the instructions that are included, coupled with those published on their website & forums...we use a wireless thermometer to insure the meats are cooked and then eat or continue drying "to taste" once again.

If/when you get one (everyone should have a smoker/cooker in their culinary arsenal!!!!), write down everything you do and modify it according to your own "taste".

Sorry I couldn't be more specific, but a lot of trial is involved (though I've experienced very little error...I think smoked cardboard would taste good if it was prepared right!! :D ).

I've smoked meat and then finished it on the grill as well! That grill taste is just another flavor layered into the mix and is an EXCELLENT variation indeed!!

...and BTW, no cooked meat goes into the smoker/cooker - that would restrict the smoke from permeating the meat. If you don't finish it in the smoker/cooker, then of course finish it on the grill, stove, oven, or use a pressure cooker for FANTASTIC pulled beef/pork BBQ!!

Ohhhh, I'm trying to stop editing this...take cheddar cheese, wrap it in a layer of cheese cloth and baste some peanut oil on the cheese cloth. Smoke the cheese to desired flavor - YUMMMY!!!!!

We've smoked moose, caribou, bear, beef (steaks, ribs, brisket, jerky, hamburger), different homemade sausages, pork (steaks, chops, loins, hams, ground), chicken (whole & pieces), game hens, fish (halibut, salmon, trout, tuna), jalapeno poppers, beans, cheese...Hmm I must have left something out...Oh maybe the cardboard?! :D :ohgeez:

Our brisket & ribs just fall apart & melt in your mouth, no knives needed at all!!

Last edited:

Ironhog81

Newly Enlightened
Use Cajun injector for adding flavor.
Great for turkey, chicken, sausage, ham etc.
I find beef is usually better grilled,as in steaks.
Long, low slow better for everything else.
Smoker with water tray good to keep everything moist.
Add seasonings to water. I usually put Italian mixture in.
Use good flavor wood. I have pecan trees so always have good supply.
Add more wood if smoke dies down.
Brisket works out OK.
Start early and first pour glass of wine or one beer in cook.
Add as needed.
Soak wood overnight.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
GREAT point Ironhog (reference the Cajun injector)!!

Start out with an affordable smoker, such as the Little/Big Chief series before you decide if you want to invest in the more expensive "Cookshack style" smoker/cookers. You can do a lot with the smaller, less expensive ones. HOWEVER if you like genuine pit BBQ - you really should consider one of the "Cookshack style" smoker/cookers. There are several different brands/models out there - Cabelas sells several!

bitslammer

Enlightened
While I've baked or braised things and finished them on a grill I've never done that with smoking. Cooking something and getting on the grill for that nice surface charring and grill flavor works well, but when you cook something by "hot smoking" you are never exposing it to temperatures over say 220*F. Typically I smoke things like pork shoulder and ribs at 180-190*F using a wireless thermometer to monitor temp.

By never exposing the meat to high temp it will have a completely different taste & texture which is the hallmark of good smoking.

javafool

Enlightened
I use a Big Green Egg ceramic cooker and I add the wood chips at the beginning of the cook. That is when the meat absorbs the smoke flavor and you develop a smoke ring on the outside of the meat.

Different woods give different (stronger & milder) smoke flavors. And you can get too much of a good thing which detracts from the meat flavor. A lot of the secret is being able to cook at 225°F - 250°F for a long time. The wireless thermometer previously mentioned is almost a must.

Good luck and good cooking!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when i was ya age ya whiper snaper i used smoker but then i thought to self a dehedrater is better and it is ill make some jerky that will make ya take offf all ya cloths and take a dump in the sink

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW raggie, I must say, "I dont know what to say", How ever that is very origonal.:), And at the same time it produces an image of less than stellar expectatons, However Thank you for you thoughts and everyone elses also

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol i do like smokers to last night i saw on good eats with alton brown he made a smoker outa old school gymn lockers