legacy free computers

Mutie

Enlightened
Don't even think about touching my 8bit ISA slots.
smile.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most agencies are pretty happy when they get good hard copy and hard photos. If they receive a couple of 3.5s with the same exact information they are thrilled. Not every computer in every agency you may need to do business with has a CD drive.

Tomas

Banned
Heck, I run UNIX and Mac OS machines - since I don't have/need any of those I voted remove on all ...
grin.gif

I do just fine with the included USB, Firewire, and Ethernet ports, and the DVD / CD RW and ZIP drives.

Most any serious file (other than text) that I would want to transfer to another machine wouldn't fit on a floppy, anyway (even my digital camera files are about 4.3M apiece).

Floppies were fine when files were tiny, but these days they lack capacity.

Oh! I also use a couple of Flash Drives (Disk-On-Key) for moving things to other machines that have accessible USB ports. I have one 32M and one 128M and they are the best for most small/ medium sized stuff (getting something to the printer, etc.).

Of course one of my old machines still has ArcNet co-ax connections ...
wink.gif

Take care,
tomsig01.gif

main

Posted from a ** MICROSOFT FREE ZONE **

Saaby

Flashaholic
Lets see...

Serial: Keep it! My calculator, X10 Controller, Remote, and various other gadgets run on serial. You can get USB-->Serial things now I believe but I'd rather just have the proper port there to begin with. Most of these are unique devices that don't come in USB flavors

Parallel: Drop it! Most parallel stuff is stuff you want to eventually upgrade, printers, scanners etc...and anything new comes with USB.

PS2: Drop it! Mice and Keyboards both come in USB flavors now.

Floppy: Keep it! I may not use it all that often but the floppy is tried and true and isn't about to die IIHO. How many external floppies has apple sold since they dropped it? Short of maybe a laptop, external flopy is a pain. They're not terribly expensive and they're everywhere, except--oddly enough--those newer Macs whose owners are too lazy/cheap to buy an external.

Tomas

Banned
Heheheheh ... The only external drives this lazy Mac user has on his desktop Mac, Ryan, are the two Firewire 40G hard drives I use for work space and mirrored backup.

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
USB-1 parallel adapters cannot fully emulate normal parallel ports - USB-1 does not have the bandwidth to do it. Such adapters work only with printers and probably not all of them.

USB serial ports are more likely to work but have their own problems. I find things work more reliably on real UARTs, and that they stay on the same COM port from boot to boot that way. Moreover, USB loses all timing information, and this can be useful (I wrote an NTP driver for a WWV clock that brings in its pps over the Carrier Detect line – that would be useless with USB).

I'm ambivalent about floppy drives. They're unreliable and slow. But they are also essentially free (if you have room in the computers chassis) and the only really universal read/write medium.

Speaking as probably the only CPF'er with extensive experience in the PC keyboard & mouse designs (8042 firmware / PC side) I'd say dump USB and stick with PS/2 here. The PS/2 stuff is thoroughly understood in the industry and I haven't heard of any problems in about ten years. USB adds no cost benefit that I have seen and is considerably more complex to implement (the hardware side is simpler but not the software) and there are still teething problems. Without cost savings or performance benefit I see no point to it.

USB is a good thing but it makes no sense to attack solved problems where no value is added, no cost is saved and functionality is potentially reduced.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 printers: both parallel. My mouse I can use with USB, but WHY, since I already have a dedicated PS/2 mouse port?? Same with keyboard. I have one thing that uses RS-232C, but it is not connected. I have one thing that uses USB. I still need 1 ISA slot for the 2nd parallel port. I have 1.44 MB and 1.2 MB (5.25") floppy drives. Half of my drivers are on floppies, though I should archive them to CD-ROM, as floppies do go bad over time.

Empath

Flashaholic
The only reason to remove any of them is cost-cutting. I'd just as soon they left them all, replaced USB with USB 2, and add firewire and SCSI. If you don't need them, you don't have to use them.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
SCSI? I liked it when there were no other options for external connection than parallel port. However, none of the machines I'm buying nowadays have had it for a couple of year. I actually just packed up all my old hughly thick and pain-in-the-neck cables and terminators. Good Riddence to it. Firewire is my favorite right now. Fast and Cheap, good combination
wink.gif

Serial? Don't need it for regular computer stuff anymore at all, but I'm with Saaby in having a lot of stuff connected to my computer like X10 and whatnot. I'm happy with my USB/Serial stuff. I can run a longer USB cable and plug in the serial stuff wherever it belongs. So you can get rid of it. Again, none of my current machines have it built in anyway.

Parallel? Haven't had it since my apple][e
wink.gif
Again though, this is a good cheap do-it-yourselfer kind of interface for people that want to connect it to external things. But I'm all serial and USB for this now.

I am looking forward to the day when Apple will finally add USB2 into their machines. But this is not currently a hardship. The price difference between firewire and usb2 enabled devices is not significant to me.

Floppy? Haven't had one in years either, it can go. I have one machine in the house that still has one, and I actually had to use it once last year. Took me 10 minutes with a can of compressed air to clean it out enough to work. They don't get much use.

But then, since computers are my business I tend to be at the bleeding edge of the curve on this sort of thing. Running pre-release operating systems on brand new hardware. Even if there is no one to buy the software I write for it yet, it pays to be at that end of the curve. So I whine about the changes as much as anyone, but I have to follow and I have rarely, if ever, gotten seriously burned by doing so.

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Remove 'em all! Let's go with Bluetooth!

I hate all that "spaghetti" behind my computer and under my desk
wink.gif

star882

Enlightened
"Don't even think about touching my 8bit ISA slots."
The ISA slots are already obsolete(neither my 633MHz Celeron nor my 2.4GHz Pentium 4 has ISA slots).
" USB-1 parallel adapters cannot fully emulate normal parallel ports - USB-1 does not have the bandwidth to do it. Such adapters work only with printers and probably not all of them."
USB 1.1 is 1.5MB/S in low and 12MB/S in high mode.
USB 2.0 is 480MB/S.
Parallel is 2.0MB/S.

jmm

Newly Enlightened
Serial, Parallel, SCSI, Firewire - Those that really feel they need them can add aftermarket PCI cards.

Motherboard BIOS controlled floppys are still convenient for some who work on sick PCs and need to run diagnostics (yes, I know how to make bootable CDs, but I don't like to). USB floppys are less "compatible", but getting better since legacy and bootable device BIOS support have become more refined, and commonplace.

USB as opposed to PS2 Keyboards and Mice - They suck, bigtime! When was the last time a PS2 keyboard or mouse ever left you with no alternative to reaching for the power switch? Ever actually tried using a USB KVM switch for serious work?

USB 1 & 2 for other peripherals - Greatest thing since sliced bread (not in the beginning as is often true, but now that the standard, devices, drivers, and built in OS support have "matured"). Some think USB was really invented by Microsoft to force people to quit using NT4.

IR - You gotta be kidding? Must have been invented to help those with too many unassigned IRQs.

Bluetooth Wireless - Still waiting for the hype to settle and someone to prove something to me.

802.11x Wireless - "A" works well, but the range generally sucks and prices have not dropped enough to make it a serious contender for the standard of choice. "B" is a little slow but reasonably priced and entierly usable for a lot of mundane things. "G" sounds interesting.

John

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by star882:
" USB-1 parallel adapters cannot fully emulate normal parallel ports - USB-1 does not have the bandwidth to do it. Such adapters work only with printers and probably not all of them."
USB 1.1 is 1.5MB/S in low and 12MB/S in high mode.
USB 2.0 is 480MB/S.
Parallel is 2.0MB/S.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">A parallel port in ECP mode can be upwards of 1 MB/s. I'll have to dig out the specs to get the number.

USB has a poor payload-to-bandwidth ratio: the bandwidth may be 12 Mb/s but the most data you can get across it in the real world is around 800 KB/s (and I've not seen that personally under Windows but rather DOS).

USB-2 has some screwy limits. If you add up the maximum bandwidth any one device is allowed to use you get about 24 MB/s.

All existing USB-1 parallel port pretenders exclude ECP. I believe EPP mode would be possible but I haven't tried to vendors to confirm/deny EPP support.

I'm using "B" to mean bytes and "b" to mean bits.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arg...remove any of the above and I'd go mad...was bad enough when I got the new PC realising that I'd have to either ditch all the SCSI harddrives or buy a new SCSI controller card because the old one was ISA...and the new machine was all PCI.

Used my USB mouse for about a month - then put the PS/2 adaptor into use as I was sick fed up of it cutting out whenever I was rendering a 3D scene, or playing a graphically intensive game.

Serial ports I'd hate to lose, as it'd mean I'd actually have to set up a real network - rather than my RS-232 lead running around the side of the room. For one, I don't want to have to find another PCMCIA network card for the Amiga - not after the performance I had getting the PC to talk it it last time. Generally speaking I don't use the PC for anything other than music, games on the rare occasions I play them, and net access - because there still isn't a decent browser for the Amiga anywhere...which is annoying.

Zel.

(A1200D Revision 1.D.4, Blizzard 1230 030/50MHz accelrator, 64mb RAM, 700Mb Harddisk, OS3.0)

star882

Enlightened
"Used my USB mouse for about a month - then put the PS/2 adaptor into use as I was sick fed up of it cutting out whenever I was rendering a 3D scene, or playing a graphically intensive game."
You probably have it set to share IRQs.
I don't have the problem, and the mouse feels better when I use USB(very noticeable under 9x/ME, small difference under 2000/XP).
" Arg...remove any of the above and I'd go mad...was bad enough when I got the new PC realising that I'd have to either ditch all the SCSI harddrives or buy a new SCSI controller card because the old one was ISA...and the new machine was all PCI."
ISA is very slow compared to PCI.
ISA is gone from new computers now.

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Originally posted by jmm:
USB as opposed to PS2 Keyboards and Mice - They suck, bigtime! When was the last time a PS2 keyboard or mouse ever left you with no alternative to reaching for the power switch?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The last time either my keyboard OR my mouse got unplugged - some (i'm guessing older) styles of PS2 ports aren't hot-plugable. Though it is true I came accross a PS2 port that didn't shut down when a mouse was unplugged. And I've seen some that kill both ports if either one was unplugged.

--Scrimmy

Canuke

Enlightened
I'm on a USB mouse but PS/2 keyboard. USB keyboards seem to be rather rare still for some reason.

I need a parallel port for my LightWave dongle. Other than that, the serial ports are disabled on this main machine, and Ethernet/hub take care of all transfers.

ISA is ancient and should be gone from all general purpose PC's. However, ISA is vastly easier to design for, as I understand it, so perhaps it should be kept around for dedicated electronics engineering machines.

PCI is already getting to be a bottleneck, at least in its 32 bit, 33MHz form. I've got two 64-bit, 66MHz slots in this machine (it's a dually) so anybody know what I can put in there?

Floppies, DIE, DIE, DIE! With CD-R's Ethernet and bootable CD-R's for recovery, who needs them? Other than for file transfers to and from Amigas, that is. I'm not mocking Zelandeth, I've got a 600 and a 1200 here (though not active at this time), and at one time my main machine was a salvaged A2000 whose motherboard bore crusty mouse droppings of real mice, and had its Agnus socket held together by rubber bands. And yet I still managed to soup it up with a Zeus '040/28 MHz and a Picasso video board. Oh, the days when 40MB of RAM was cavernous... now it won't even accomodate the OS...