question for any brass musicians

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all. OK, here is the skinny. My 12 year old son plays trumpet in school (first chair). For Christmas he recieved one of those clear plastic mouthpieces. I got him a black laquered trumpet last year, and with the clear mouthpiece it looks really cool. Anyhow, his music teacher (college grad) just today said that he couldent use it because it changes the tone of the trumpet. Now I have heard him play over the last few days with both mouthpieces and I could hear no difference. This sounds to me like a bunch of HorsePocky. Does anyone here have and knowledge or experience with these???

Jeff

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Depending on the make of the instrument your son has (i.e., student model versus more expensive or professional-like instrument) a greatly noticeable difference in tone may not be noticed, but those plastic mouthpieces do definitely change the tone of an instrument. My dad plays the tuba (I do too once in a while) and the plastic mouthpieces make the tone much more dull sounding. I don't know why though. Maybe the plastic mouthpieces don't resonate as well as a standard mouthpiece?

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with what cosine said -- at his level of musical ability at this point, most people probably wouldn't be able to hear much difference though.

JM-99

cosine said:
Depending on the make of the instrument your son has (i.e., student model versus more expensive or professional-like instrument) a greatly noticeable difference in tone may not be noticed, but those plastic mouthpieces do definitely change the tone of an instrument. My dad plays the tuba (I do too once in a while) and the plastic mouthpieces make the tone much more dull sounding. I don't know why though. Maybe the plastic mouthpieces don't resonate as well as a standard mouthpiece?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
No experience with playing brass instruments, but I spent six years in school bands learning to play a woodwind instrument (alas, that was way too many years ago). I also "experimented" with a few other musical instruments.

In my very INexperienced and INexpert opinion, the material used does make a difference to sound/tone. As cosine noted, I think resonance may be an issue. I also think that to most non-musicians (myself included!) the difference may be negligible

If I recall correctly, even different metals produce different sounds, and as an example, take the flute. I believe the head of the flute is commonly made of sterling silver for superior tone, whereas the body may include other metals because of cost. Also, I think that the better flutes have "open holes" in some of the keys, again for better sound.

I also recall that there are differences in the sound of pianos. As my piano teacher once told me, old pianos in which the wood has "dried out," will have a "brighter," somewhat harsher sound signature than new pianos. I also remember trying both less expensive (unknown brand) and more expensive (known brand) upright pianos, and there was a difference.

I have to say that plastic musical instruments/parts just don't seem "right" to me. It reminds me of toy instruments, but I'm sure technology has changed tremendously since my day and so plastic is nothing to thumb my nose at.

As an analogy, I see it sort of like plastic flashlights versus metal flashlights. Nothing wrong with plastic flashlights (I love my UKEs and Princeton Tec lights), but metal just seems "better"... So maybe its just a matter of perception.

All of the above aside, I have to say that I'm a little surprised that at your son's age, the music teacher is being so strict. Of course as first chair, he may be tapped to do trumpet solos, and so the teacher may be more critical about the sound.

Just a very UNinformed opinion that should be considered accordingly...if at all.

bitslammer

Enlightened
Count me in with the "shouldn't make a difference" unless your son is on par with Mile Daivs. Incidently what do you think all those marching bands use in really cold weather? Uh huh, plastic. Sure beats freezing your lips on a frozen horn.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reccently some double blind tests have been performed with the famous stradivarius violins against new and old instruments.
Few musician can tel which is which and some have preferred other violins.

A good teacher in any field loves to learn and the really good ones love it when their students out shine them. "You know what's wrong with that idea - I didn't think of it" was high praise from one of my profs. Of course he had a Long pause where the "-" went so it was not fun the first time.

It would be easy to hide behind a curtain and have the teacher tell which was which while several peopl played several similar instruments.