Do Any surefire LEDS Throw?

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Do any of the surefire LEDS throw? I was thinking about getting an L2. I know the L4 is very floody. Are all the heads the same or do they have some that throw more than others?

A detailed run down of what each head does would be nice or a link to a thread with that info is appriciated.

Blake

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L5 will throw better than the rest of the 5 watt LED's. Anything with TIR is also meant for throw, i.e. Kroma, E1L, etc.

carrot

Flashaholic
The KL1 and KL3 are both throwy. They have low outputs but make up for it by concentrating the beam in a tight spot. I only have personal experience with the KL1 as of right now and I can say it appears to put out a hotspot similar in size as a 6P but without any flood. The Kroma uses an optic too, so has pretty good throw. If not for the price, I would highly recommend it for general utility.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
The E2L (which has the K1 head) has great throw IMHO. In fact it's every bit as good as my E2E, E2D and Inova XO3. To widen/soften the spot for close up work I made my own diffuser. Mag makes an accessory kit for the Mini Mag AA which sells for about $6. I comes with a rubber bezel attachment with different lenses including one that is clear. I "frosted" the clear one with some steel wool and epoxied it into the attachment (ends up looking just like the SF beamshaper). Now I have the best of both worlds: a really great thrower with a nice tight hotspot without the "shaper"....with the "shaper" attached, nice wide diffuse flood.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the L5 and L6 got combined beam types, with throw+flood. But if you really like throw, plus a cheap price without sacrificing quality, then go with the Propolymer 3C Luxeon. I've got back from a long hiking trip to a desolated area with no ambient lights, and this big boy threw as good as my incans. I was fairly impressed...

Wiz

Newly Enlightened
The U2 is not bad either, I prefer the beam to my L6 and it seems brighter.