I'm looking to put some power into this!

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Here is my project thus far:

p996202469.jpg

Now, my problem is that I really like the light output of the P91 that came with this body, but I want to keep this style of light that I've built.

Any ideas/suggestions as to how I can accomplish 150+ lumins with this head?

Right now it's just a stripped and empty light, I have nothing in here but the plastic lens and bezle. I'm fine with whatever it takes to get this done, and typical button/twist operation of the tailcap.

Suggestions?

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Thank you.

I did E-mail him before the holidays, but have not heard back. I figure he's busy spending time with family, so I thought I'd appeal to the group for suggestions.

I'd really prefer LED obviously. :)

crampedson

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps try a Cree XR-E overdriven slightly as that body seems to have plenty of heatsinking.

AlecGold

Enlightened
With the Q3 coming out in a month orso (or perhaps two, three) you could get 120-150 lumens?! Perhaps even without overdriving much.
I don't think P4's can do 120..
This tube is a 3x123? The KL3 head, M3 body, fat knurly tailcap?
Than you would need a very good buck/booster for handling 9,6V. And if you whish to use RCR123's it would need some 12,6V maximum if they are hot of the charger!

That is some serious stuff and I don't know if there are any regulators for that kind of stuff? You see a trend of more and more using 1x123 or sometimes 2x123's for LED's

But runtimes would be fine I think?!! with 2700 mAh from three regular 900 mAh RCR123's and some 1000mAh led use? Something for the regulator and some losses, you could end up with 100-120 minutes of use? Just a guestimated little sum. But it would be very nice for an led driving at something between 120 and 150 lumens

I think milkyspit would be the way ;)

Last edited:

Lonely Raven

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the thoughts Alec.

Actually I have six Wolf Eyes 1.5X123 and their very nice charger ready and waiting for this project to be completed. So if the 3X123 rechargable makes the project difficult, the 2X1.5 should reel that in a bit.

I have no problems pulling and replacing LEDs, even every six months if I have to, madly overdriving is not a big deal to me. I'm moderately skilled with a soldering iron. :) And I could live with even 30 minutes of run time. My priority right now is this build, with lots of light. :)

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
Lonely Raven said:
Thanks for the thoughts Alec.

Actually I have six Wolf Eyes 1.5X123 and their very nice charger ready and waiting for this project to be completed. So if the 3X123 rechargable makes the project difficult, the 2X1.5 should reel that in a bit.

I have no problems pulling and replacing LEDs, even every six months if I have to, madly overdriving is not a big deal to me. I'm moderately skilled with a soldering iron. :) And I could live with even 30 minutes of run time. My priority right now is this build, with lots of light. :)

keep in mind, madly overdriving will change tint, so take this into account. you can overdrive crees consideralbly i think max is 2a? but heat sinking is important. make sure you have good contact with the body.