Torch with "Clap" switch ? Idea

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clap switch has to continue sucking battery power when the light is turned off or it won't be able to turn the light on. It may also turn the light on when you don't want, like during a loud party...

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
The clap switch has to continue sucking battery power when the light is turned off or it won't be able to turn the light on. It may also turn the light on when you don't want, like during a loud party...

My keyfinder clap switch uses a keychain battery and lasts well over 1 year, so I don't imagine the current drain would be much.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds just a bit dangerous to me!! Someone breaking wind during the night just might set the dresser on fire!!! Yikes!!! :lolsign:

Karl

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:
My keyfinder clap switch uses a keychain battery and lasts well over 1 year, so I don't imagine the current drain would be much.
It seems like you may be better off using a low powered LED that runs off the battery off the same current it would take to maintain the clapper. In a completeley dark room it doesn't take much at all for the light to be seen. The only problem there is that the LED may be covered up, for example, lighting the actual light itself in most cases would do me no good as I usually store them with the lens facing down onto a table or shelf. A ring around the tailcap either of tritium (emits a faint glow for about 14 years I believe), or a thin fiber optic strand with a small LED inside (this would give you choice of color) would do the job of allowing the light to be seen.

dyyys1

Enlightened
The problem with this kind of switch is that any loud noise, such as slamming books on a table, registers as a clap, and sometime music can set off a whistle switch. In fact, I've heard of people putting clappers on appliances in a coworker's cubicle so that their lamp or computer shuts off whenever they make a loud noise.

Last edited:

highorder

Enlightened
I've heard of people putting clappers on appliances in a coworker's cubicle so that their lamp or computer shuts off whenever they make a loud noise.

we just used to lob empty soda cans in a high, mortaresque arc.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
abvidledUK said:

You could just attatch one of your key finder things to your "torch" then.

Arkayne

Enlightened
I could just imagine using that light on a battlefield at night. Talk about giving away your location in a firefight.