4D Mag incand. to LED

LOBOLUMENS

Newly Enlightened
RMorton said:
What is the best LED I could put in place of my incand. lamp in my 4D Mag?

I have several 3D and 4D Mags with different LED drop-ins. I was expecting the more expensive Luxeon K2 and Terralux drop-ins to be much brighter than the standard MagLED drop-in but all of the beams are virtually indistinguishable! If you choose to go the cheaper route with the MagLED version you will not be disappointed.

RMorton

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

The reason I asked this question is because I have just found the the Terralux K2 drop-in. I have only seen the MAG drop-in and I don't know anything about that Terralux K2 drop-in. Are there any reviews on them?

LOBOLUMENS

Newly Enlightened
I have read several reviews on the new Terralux and all have been positive. That's why I was dissapointed when I had to find out for myself that it does not live up to it's hype, especially when compared to Maglite's version.

RMorton

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lobolumens

I was trying to decide on my next LED purchase and that was the cheapest one. I may pass on that upgrade. I just got the 2AA MagLED and love it.

I may just get the 3D MagLED or something like the P1D CE.

LOBOLUMENS

Newly Enlightened
You should also look into the new Huntlight Cree Edition from Jsburly's.com. At $80 he currently has the lowest price on this very interesting light. Mine should be arriving any day now. Wait! Is that the UPS man now?............

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll second the M@GLED, if you should choose that one you will NOT be dissapointed!!!!

InfidelCastro

Banned
I would go with the Terralux K2 drop-in. It's heatsinked and won't drop in output like the MagLED version will if left on for a few minutes.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
2000xlt said:
I'll second the M@GLED, if you should choose that one you will NOT be dissapointed!!!!

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, don't bother with the Terralux (sp?), K2, etc., drop-ins, as the "regular" MagLED are just as good? Which seems contrary to what MattK posted in another thread, where he regarded the MagLED's as over-rated and only produce 1/2 of the stated "3watts"?

Not trying to start any wars (I'm new here), just want to be best informed and get the best "bang for the buck".. :)

LOBOLUMENS

Newly Enlightened
BMRSEB said:
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, don't bother with the Terralux (sp?), K2, etc., drop-ins, as the "regular" MagLED are just as good? Which seems contrary to what MattK posted in another thread, where he regarded the MagLED's as over-rated and only produce 1/2 of the stated "3watts"?

Not trying to start any wars (I'm new here), just want to be best informed and get the best "bang for the buck".. :)

My main criteria for judging which LED drop-in is the best is my eyes. You will read a lot from people who seem to put too much stock in lux readings and machines that rate lumens output and so on but I didn't get lucky with one Mag drop-in, I have several, in addition to Terralux's drop-in (5w) and the Luxeon K2 (6.5w) and I can truthfully say the MagLED (3w) is identical to both in brightness and in beam pattern.

BMRSEB

Enlightened
LOBOLUMENS said:
My main criteria for judging which LED drop-in is the best is my eyes. You will read a lot from people who seem to put too much stock in lux readings and machines that rate lumens output and so on but I didn't get lucky with one Mag drop-in, I have several, in addition to Terralux's drop-in (5w) and the Luxeon K2 (6.5w) and I can truthfully say the MagLED (3w) is identical to both in brightness and in beam pattern.
Thanks, good enough for me... Just curious, as I was considering the (2AA MagLED) for the wife's car. The JetBeam C-LE AA (on order) is mine, all mine..:naughty:

Last edited: