Neoca 18650 - 2008 Renderings

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
[edit 3/10/2008]
Well, I almost finished making the 3rd prototype, Im quite happy with it. While applying it the final touches to the body I had the tube almost destroyed you will see some chuck marks near the head :ohgeez:

Luckily I managed to save it, but now it shows the scars, I decided not to touch it anymore, better show the scars than a destroyed body. Please forgive the knurling mismatches :)

One thing I noticed is that the body knurling needs to be at least twice as wide, that little band is not enough with this light knurling, maybe a more agressive one does the trick.

Here are the photos, I also added a size comparission, hope you all like it:

18650v3-06.jpg

18650v3-07.jpg

18650v3-08.jpg

18650v3-09.jpg

18650v3-10.jpg

[edit 2/27/2008]

New Renderings:
18650v3-01.jpg

The crenelation is included in the head, there is no removable bezel there.
Also I included a 10mm deep orange peel reflector for some throw!

[Original Post]
I spent many hours drawing this model, my goals for it are (sorted by importance)

Simple
Small as the battery allows
Broad choice of converters
Cree XR-E led
Lanyard attachment
Tail-standable

So with these priorities in mind this is the design I came up with:

18650-01

18650-02

18650-03

18650-04

The reflector is conical and there is no glass in the front like the ARC-AAA or Gerber Infinity
The LED will be epoxied to seal the electronics from the environment
The body-head seal is done with an oring
I will make a converter for it (Neoca Tris/DD (three levels+Strobo)) but there is space for other converters too of course.
There is a hole in the bottom which allows to add a split ring or a lanyard directly.
Flashlight Size: Diameter: 22mm (0.87in) Lenght: 95mm (3.74in)

And of course, if there is enough interest it will be produced :) price should be around $100 depending mostly on the converter used (mine or 3rd party).

FAQ in progress:
Finish: Hard Annodized or Electroless Nickel plated
Converter: Three levels + Strobo
Internal Diameter: 18.7mm enough for all 18650 variations
It will draw around 400mA from the battery, so runtime should be around 6-7 hours on high on a 2400mA 18650

Hope you all like it

Pablo

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Neoca 18650 - 1st renderings

Hi Pablo, I'd be wary of leaving the Cree lens exsposed, I was working on one the other day and the lens must have fallen off without me noticing, I found it on the floor, they don't seem very well attached. I have heard of others having the same problem. The lights you mentioned with exposed LEDs are all 5mm with a tough plastic body.
Not sure if you are supposed to have a picture in you thread but I see just the text.
Norm

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Neoca 18650 - 1st renderings

I just been asked, the Neoca TRIS/DD is a three level + Strobo converter, I programmed & designed it so I can customize it too :)

Check the link in my signature or the 1st post for more details.

Pablo

Lightmania

Enlightened

Neat, I like it. This is the best simple-design 18650/Cree combo I've seen so far. Just a question, what kind of finish will it have?

Lightmania

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll be in for one if it holds a 2600mah LG-18650 cell, as I have several of them already. Nice design.:)

luigi

Enlightened

This looks coooooool!
My Neoca is now in my wife's hand and she loves the light a lot so I will be +1 for this model with the converter.
No shipping charges :)

Luigi

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

just for you Luigi, just for you :) you can come to my office and pick it up whenever you want :)

BTW, I just added a FAQ to the first post, if you post a question, expect my reply to be there.

Pablo

ICUDoc

Enlightened

This looks really nice Pablo- I'll take (at least) one thanks!
The 18650 form factor is so solid and with such good energy-density it surprises me that we are still waiting for a nice, simple-bodied torch to use it.
The Leef C-E adaptors still aren't available so I am really looking forward to your model. The Tris convertor is icing on the cake!
Good on you for continuing to produce cool stuff. Thanks.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks David, I forgot to add that it will draw around 400mA from the battery, so runtime should be around 6-7 hours on high on a 2400mA 18650 :)

IMHO its about time to put long runtime as a more important feature over more power.

Pablo

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast

Norm said:
Hi Pablo, I'd be wary of leaving the Cree lens exsposed, I was working on one the other day and the lens must have fallen off without me noticing, I found it on the floor, they don't seem very well attached. I have heard of others having the same problem. The lights you mentioned with exposed LEDs are all 5mm with a tough plastic body.
Not sure if you are supposed to have a picture in you thread but I see just the text.
Norm

I also had this accident Norm while testing some old cree 7090 leds, so, based on this previous experience, this is also covered by the design :)

Take a look at this picture selected regions, they are tappered so they are slightly smaller than the bigger diameter of the cree XR-E dome, thus preventing it from falling.

18650-05

Pablo

greenLED

Flashaholic

PEU said:
IMHO its about time to put long runtime as a more important feature over more power.
OK... who are you, and what'd you do with PEU? :grin2: Just kidding! It's an interesting proposition. As much as I like bright lights, I find myself using the low setting more and more often (at least for indoor stuff). ...and with a useable "low" being achievable at such low currents from the XR-E, the potential for loooooooooooooooooooong runtimes is fantastic.

It somehow it reminds me of an oversized CMG Infinity - re-vamped, upgraded, and ready to hit the new millenium!
:goodjob:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Very cool light Pablo!

I wonder if it should have a little more knurling, if you're not gripping it by the entire light, but instead just the back of it, which I do occasionally.

Also, if it could have holes for a clip, I'd be all over it.

The amount you share with us of all the effort that goes into your R&D is awesome, and really appreciated! :)

john

Latest posts