Cree XLamp LEDs to Power SureFire Flashlights

tigermoth2000

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Good find, and welcome to CPF.
I played around tonight and built a cree P4 mag, looked very bright inside focused well with the mag reflector but looked horrible when I took it outside, the tint looked a bit green and didn't show up folage well at all. I think I've become to used to my hotwires.

Martini

Enlightened
Wow, that's a lot faster than most of us were predicting. I'm seriously taken aback by this. The L1 and two other "mystery" models, how exciting. What a slap in the face to LumiLEDs to have SF going Cree already!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
tigermoth2000 - welcome to CPF - good catch. I had emailed Surefire a couple months ago about this and just got a standard Non-answer about R&D looking into it or something along those lines. Glad to hear this! Since IMO one of SF's failings has been their Luxeon lottery of less than white LED bins this should help as the Cree's tend to be whiter with less of them out in the 'yuk' color field. SF had to know about the XR-E's for a lot longer than us so I'm not surprised at all they are going to use them. They'd be stupid not to use this 2x better technology.

N162E

Enlightened
I'll let you all know how they look when I see them at the Shot Show next week. Well, at least I can Hope. :grin2:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would it surprise you that Surefire would wait a long time to use Cree? Back in July 2002, there were two production regulated Luxeon lights available the Arc LS (first on the block) and the Surefire L1.

Running a P4 XRE as minimum bin will give them 80 lumens at the LED and around 60 lumens flying out of the front of the light at 350mA. Bump it up to 700mA and you get around 135/100 lumens. "Tactical" lighting starts at 60 lumens so they now have a LED light that will do that. The big bonus is the amount of sales they will get now that you don't have to have an E2E to do the same thing.

Wonder if SF will now persue the 2AA rumored light from last year? "Tacti-cool without Tacti-crazy batteries".

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Well looks like that article answers a lot of questions cruising around lately. Hopefully they can get them to market in a decent fashion and not have serious flaws with them. I am hyped myself.

I wonder if that was release to early. Seeing as how I bet surefire wanted to annouce those new at the Shotshow and this comes just days beforehand.. Did someone screw up???

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is as predicted.
SureFire is not a company to sit on their laurels. They have to push the envelope in order to maintain market leadership.
I look forward to what ever SureFire comes to market with. I really hope they make an updated KL4 head with a Cree. I love the KL4 and own several. Oh boy more SureFire Lego's to play with SOON!! The only problem with an announcement of this nature is that it Kills SureFire Led based light sales until the new products come to market.
yaesumofo

Size15's

Flashaholic
As I've said - the SHOT Show will be the place to find out more details and PK's CPF Party on the Saturday night will be the place to be.

Al

blake711

Newly Enlightened
yaesumofo said:
The only problem with an announcement of this nature is that it Kills SureFire Led based light sales until the new products come to market.
yaesumofo

That could mean 2 things.. First good deals on current Led Suefires to make way for the new. Second Surefire must know that their will be a drop in sales of current models as folks will want to wait for new ones. I am an example of that was in the market for a new Surefire LED now I will wait. Anyway so they may actually hurry up and get these to market to prevent a slump in sales numbers.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! This is sweet news! Oh man, I can't wait for their catalog to be available for download. I just started a thread about the possibility of transplanting a Cree into a L5. Hopefully that will be one of them! I will DEFINETLY be getting one of them, especially that L1...

I think they would be crazy not to put it in the U2, since thats their top dog (as far as we know). I think we can pretty much assume that will be the other one besides the L1, what do you think the 3rd one will be?

Well we know of 2 new lights this year - G3 and L1-C. Man, SHOT is only a week away and I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl that just got a new Barbie doll....

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
How do we know a Cree L1 is on the way? It could have just been a stock photo randomly selected by Cree to use for their PR announcement...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the article states that the Cree will power 3 new models "one pictured above". I'm sure that Surefire is the one that provided that photo to Cree....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
As I've said - the SHOT Show will be the place to find out more details and PK's CPF Party on the Saturday night will be the place to be.

Al

You going to the party?