Inova X02 and R123 3.7V cells?

Weylan

Enlightened
I just got an Inova XO2 from frys for $24.95. Same deal as Costco.

Any one know if you circuitry can handle the 2x 3.7V -4.2V cells? I use rechargable r123a cells in about all the other lights I own, and would like to be able to use the light with the rechargable cells, but don't want to blow up the light to find out if it can hande the higher voltage. If any one knows for sure, I would greatly apreciate it.

I read that the original X0 can not handle the 2x 4.2V.
I have read that the X03 can handle the 2x 4.2V.

So who knows that the X02 can handle the 2x 4.2V?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Well, first off the X02 must use a buck circuit where VIN is higher than vf of emiter. It handles 6+ volts ok, and two LiIon's is 8.4 volts, or so, fully charged. I think it would work. One 17670, or 17650 would probably work also, and if it has a buck/boost circuit a single LiIon would work very well. I do suspect that the circuit is buck, though.

Bill

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Inovas don't like it.

They do like the 3.0V RCR123's... I use them all the time in my Inovas.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weylan - were the X02's at your Fry's marked at $25? I went to Fry's this past weekend and they were marked $45 or whatever it was. Is it marked wrong and scans to $25? I'd pick one up if they're $25.
Fry's also sells Ultralast 3V R123A batteries (I picked up those on that trip) that you can use in the Inova. It is a buck circuit, but the Vin(max) of most Inovas seem to not like much over 6V.

mboni

Newly Enlightened
Blindasabat said:
Inovas don't like it.

They do like the 3.0V RCR123's... I use them all the time in my Inovas.
I'll second this comment.

I have protected 3.7v RCR123s from AW. Nice batteries, I'm sure, but they shut down almost instantly in an XO2 (probably the protection circuit kicking in).
The 3.0v RCRs, on the other hand, work fine.

Weylan

Enlightened
The items were marked still at $45. But scanned at $25. Cool deal.

If you see user "download", he sells the AA exteneders so you can use 4AAs instead of 2 123a cells.

But I want to use the rechargable 123a 3.7V cells( really 4.2V off the charger). Since I use them for everything else I already have. I just don't want to blow up my X02. The orginal XO, can not use the R123a cells. So I want some more versatility in what cells I can use for the same light.
:touche:

Led-Ed

Enlightened
It will die on 2 LiIon 123 cells ;-( lets just say I know someone who had one and tried it......
I'm running my (second) one on a LiIon 123 cell and a spacer and it works fine.