What is your favorite headlamp for running?

Tuna

Newly Enlightened
I admit I am more of a flood guy when it comes to headlamps like the Quad. However, I went running tonight with the EOS using the strobe feature and it kicked butt! I had never used the strobe feature before because I had no idea what use it had besides signalning for help. :thinking: For running though it was a great way to conserve batteries and still have cars see you far away. When I run I am more concerned about being seen than being able to see. :candle:
So, with my discovery tonight, my new favorite headlamp to run with is the Princeton Tec EOS. What headlamp do you prefer to run with?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tuna said:
I admit I am more of a flood guy when it comes to headlamps like the Quad. However, I went running tonight with the EOS using the strobe feature and it kicked butt! I had never used the strobe feature before because I had no idea what use it had besides signalning for help. :thinking: For running though it was a great way to conserve batteries and still have cars see you far away. When I run I am more concerned about being seen than being able to see. :candle:
So, with my discovery tonight, my new favorite headlamp to run with is the Princeton Tec EOS. What headlamp do you prefer to run with?
I'm confused... the quad has the same strobe feature.... so why would you prefer the EOS?
thinking.gif

When I run @ night I use my EOS w/ McR-18 and with 1x10280 on high.... since I run on non-lit areas I need to be able to see.... and since my runs are always less than half an hour I have plenty of juice with just one 10280

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
For running where I need to see, I like the Quad because of its flood beam. The stock Eos gives me too much tunnel vision, though it works quite well with a reflector in place of the optic. As for "being seen", I don't think there's much of a difference. The Eos puts out more lumens, but the flood of the Quad, plus a four led spread, might mean it gets noticed more. The Quad is also a little bit lighter.

But my favorite "be seen" headlamp is the new Petzl e+Lite. It's very small, very lightweight, and extremely comfortable. I'm content with the amount of light put out in the white flash mode. In fact, the above Princeton Tec lights are annoying to me in flash mode--they're almost too bright, but it all depends on where you're running, I guess. In a high traffic area, I'd gladly put up with the slight annoyance for the additional safety factor.

The Petzl e+Lite also has a red flash mode, but it uses a single tiny LED. It isn't bright enough, imho, so I don't use that mode, opting always for the white.

More info here:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=145005

Jack

Tuna

Newly Enlightened
Jar3ds,

Well that would be because I forgot the Quad had a strobe feature!
ohgeez.gif

I only use the Qaud at its brightest setting so I never cycle through all of the quad settings. Thank you for reminding me.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tuna said:
Jar3ds,

Well that would be because I forgot the Quad had a strobe feature!
ohgeez.gif

I only use the Qaud at its brightest setting so I never cycle through all of the quad settings. Thank you for reminding me.
hehe :D

chadne

Newly Enlightened
I know it's huge, but I run with an APEX.... I got my wife her own EOS to run with while running with me at night because she rolled her ankle on a pine cone a few weeks back....

TomasCoSauce

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Petzl Tikka XP. I have the option of switching between flood and spot and the batteries last quite a bit. I love taking it up to spots on Mt Tabor where there aren't any streetlights and running the trails.

Just my .0002 cents.

AlgaeEater

Newly Enlightened
RiverRock 0.5 Watt headlamp from Target.

It's incredibly tiny, doesn't feel like I'm wearing anything on my head/shoulder. I usually just mount the thing on my shoulder by super-tightning the straps and removing the head over third strap most headlamps give you.

2AAA and pretty bright, lots of throw but not entirely lots of flood. I typically just need to know what's ahead of me and not what's exactly around me most of the time.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I find the RiverRock .5W headlamp lacking in much spill with too much light concentrated in a blue hotspot. My Princeton Tec is almost too floody, and the spill gets into your eyes unless you have the light strapped over a ball cap. The best compromise headlamp I used while running is the Petzl Tikka XP.

Meduza

Enlightened
I like the PT Apex, when running in dark you turn on the 4x5mm mode and you see everything you need, when you need to stop for spotting something it is just to turn on the main led, great light :)

auroreboreale

Newly Enlightened
Well, ok, in my case it would be a bit slower, snowshoeing...

Still, I like the 3 levels of the Petzl Tactikka, using the flip-down Red filter on the lowest light level it is entirely adequate for negotiating trails without losing your night vision.

For marking your position in traffic, nothing beats a 2xAAA red or orange bike winkie; in Canada MEC has these for $3.25CND, and they are much tougher than they look! While they cannot be as easily adjusted as the Tactikka's pivoting body to bring the beam closer or further to your feet, the winkies can be attached to your toque/hat with the pocket clip...

enlightenment!

fishx65

Enlightened
I've got the EOS, Apex and Dorcy Super one watt. The Dorcy is the one I like the most for my night runs. Seems to be a perfect mix of spot and spill and both of mine are pure white. Only one level. I would guess that the EOS mod would be close to the Dorcy.