Seized Laser :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Being a laser nut, and loveing my greenies, I wanted to test out one of the china made greenies they sell on Ebay. Yes, installing an IR filter and re-checking power was going to be the first thing I did with it. Later, I was planning to use it for my white laser project, as I dont have a very strong blue source, and I figured this laser after filtering and run in steady state conditions would likely be ~10-15mw which should be a good match.

I also knew the risk in importing a class 3b device (claimed 80mw @532), but as I wont be useing for a laser pointer but rather just a green source, it wont be violateing any laws once it enters my home.

Anyways, I end up just getting the box with an empty case and a note that says "customs agent blah blah found your device to be in violation of blah blah and seized the property blah blah". That was pretty much all the little card said that was slipped in the laser case.

So, today I get this envelope in the mail with a 4 page letter.

Now, my feelings are like this. Obviously I would like to get to use the laser for my projects. I realize the risk involved with importing them, and I knew that just because I had been lucky in the past (wicked lasers etc) would be no sure deal that this one would work out.

It talks about posting $250 minimum if I wana fight this case, which I fine with me. Posting money that I will get back doesn't bother me at all, however just throwing away $250 if I dont have a snowball's chance isn't the sort of thing I like to do.

Also, I'm not interested in some elaborate scaming or something, I know legally I can have whatever sort of laser I wish in my own home for my own experimenting, and I would like to have this one join my others, but I'm not willing to pretend I'm a phony college laser labortory or similar to try to scam the laser back.

I'm just looking for honest advise here from people that I figured would have experience dealing with this same sort of matter.

I have blanked out my personal info in the paperwork they mailed, and I will post it below.

Thanks guys!!! I know I'm fairly new here, but I wana say I love this forum!!!

laser_customs2.sized.jpg

laser_customs3.sized.jpg

laser_customs4.sized.jpg

laser_customs5.sized.jpg

dr_lava

Enlightened
Sorry that happened to you, make sure to mention it in your feedback for that seller.
And, thanks for posting it as a reminder to everyone else what can and does happen sometimes!
I think it's time to let it go and get a real laser from a reputable seller. There's a thread very close by :)

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Greenlight- The physical package was labled with nothing but my adress, the return adress, and some stamps. The customs declaration form with the package said "Gift Pen".

I am also very interested in knowing if I was just unlucky that day, or if this has happened to many others on the board. When I made 2 seperate purchases from Wicked Lasers in the UK some time ago, the boxes were labled "Green Laser Pointer", and they arived at my doorstep just like any other package I receive from international purchases.

Handlobraesing- The device is not unlawful for me to have in my home. The device is not unlawful for any of my applications. I made it pretty clear in the text above that I knew the risk, you can re-read it to answer your own question if you like. I have no interest in starting needless conflict.

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Thank you Dr. Lava, I appreciate your support. I do have other 'real' lasers, including a CO2 and a NdYAG which are both in the +10watt range during the time the damn finicky powersupplys are working and everything is aligned properly and the moon is aligned with saturn with a favorable tailwind. Ok, the cosmo alignment and wind may not be true factors, but it seems that way at times... Which is a big part of the reason I have been playing with the little diode pumped stuff, everything about it is a lot more friendly to work with. I assume you are talking about the NVXX laser line, and I gotta say I will likely buy one. If I used one in my little white laser project however, it would turn out being a bright green laser with a slight tint to it. :D

I have certinaly been considdering your advise of just forgetting about it as an option, but after they sent this form I feel like I may have the option to receive the laser if I play my cards right, but I dont fully know what cards I have, or how to play them right now.

megahurts

Newly Enlightened
I would write them and fight it...if you have the time and energy. A lot of the n umb nu tz enforcing the law don't even really know the laws. You could tell them that you provide technical reviews on "laser modules" for a website and you test the "laser modules" in your own home. Then when you get it back, you can tell us how cool it is on this site. This kind of governmental crap really bugs me because they think they know what we are smart enough to own. Next will be you can't own a mirror because you could reflect sunlight in someone's eyes. I'll stop before I get too worked up.

Anyway my vote would be to fight it.

liveforphysics

Enlightened
Thanks Megahurts, I appreciate it. My thoughts are similar to yours, and my purpose for the device is to be used as a laser module in a white laser, and I would certianly do a review of the product for you guys if I am able to ever get it.

Johnawesley

Newly Enlightened
This scares me, as the Government is getting or trying to get more and more control over where we can go, what we can do, what we can own etc. For a country that is supposed to be free, it's anything but. It's scarey but more and more rights are being taken away from us everyday. I am neither for or against smoking but here in Ohio it has been banned in ANY public place. I am against ANY bans, because once they start one, it will go on and on and on. I could go on too, as these types of things scare me. We need to fight for our rights or we will slowley lose them all. It's like the Frog in the pot. He will jump out if it's too hot right away, but if you slowely boil him he will stay in the pot and eventually die. That is like our rights, they're being taken away a little at a time, so we don't fight it. Scarey....

I say fight it. If you don't then they will try to take all that you have. My 2 cents...

John.

Last edited:
Johnawesley said:
This scares me, as the Government is getting or trying to get more and more control over where we can go, what we can do, what we can own etc. For a country that is supposed to be free, it's anything but. It's scarey but more and more rights are being taken away from us everyday. I am neither for or against smoking but here in Ohio it has been banned in ANY public place. I am against ANY bans, because once they start one, it will go on and on and on. I could go on too, as these types of things scare me. We need to fight for our rights or we will slowley lose them all. It's like the Frog in the pot. He will jump out if it's too hot right away, but if you slowely boil him he will stay in the pot and eventually die. That is like our rights, they're being taken away a little at a time, so we don't fight it. Scarey....

I say fight it. If you don't then they will try to take all that you have. My 2 cents...

John.

Should we be able to have ANYTHING and everything we want without a restriction by the law? I don't think you do...

If not, who decides? You?

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the gov't for you. I don't think you have a chance. All they have to do is say "it's a laser pointer" and laser pointers can't be xxx and yyy and zzz. It won't matter what you say because you're asking the Customs folks to admit they're wrong. That's not going to happen. I hope I'm wrong, but in these days of post 9/11 paranoia you do not get the benefit of the doubt.

dr_lava

Enlightened
I disagree with the 'this is supposed to be a free country sentiment'.. it by all means IS! Just look at the restrictions on these in the UK and Austrailia! Part of being free is freedom from anarchy- no restrictions- some stupid kid blinding you with some laser he thinks is a toy (not referring to you physics). The rules are that for sale the laser has to have a shutter, key, and on-delay if it's over a certain power, and you can own or build anything of any power you want. That's pretty damn reasonable in my book!

If it was a cheap $50 filter-less laser from china, let it go, and put the $250 toward a better one, and be wiser for it.

COMMANDR

Enlightened
Sorry to hear the bad news, just another example of big brother protecting us from ourself. George Orwell was right just off alittle on his timing.

Gary
smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
1. the political discussions are not part of this forum and are considered off-topic to this thread.

2. megahurtz ... your language is not acceptable for a family forum like CPF. Please think of this in the future when posting.

3. discussion of illegal activities on CPF is forbidden. Discussion about circumventing laws is of course also forbidden.

This thread and topic is closed.

bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.