Gladius Defective Switch Update

byron8

Newly Enlightened
I received a new switch from Blackhawk couple days ago. It has not failed after extensive twisting and turn on in all modes. Upon examining the inside of the new and old switch I noticed what I believe what the Blackhawk folks were talking about. They mentioned they milled a part too high. I took a picture of the old and new switch and you can clearly see the difference. I don't know if that is the only difference or if it was really causing the problem but the two switches are different. It looks like for the new switch they "ground" off the higher lip of the base where the spring sits in. I don't know how to upload a picture here but I can email the picture if you are interested.

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
I reccived a replacement switch yesterday. I was a little disappointed in the original switch since it was on a 20xxx. It wouldn't work right with rechargeables. The new one has been flawless. As you say, it is a different switch. Excellent customer service.

byron8

Newly Enlightened
The product manager from strategos wrote back, he said that was the problem.

"Yes, that was the problem. Let me know if you have any more issues. Thanks for the update."
Jeff Perry - Director of Product Management

byron8

Newly Enlightened
If someone can give me a url where I can upload the picture, then everyone can see it.
Or I ccan just send you folks the picture. My serial number is 27092 and still had the defective switch.

greenLED

Flashaholic
byron, jut upload the pics to imageshack.us or photobucket. I'm curious to see what those pics show.

greenLED

Flashaholic
:thanks:

:thinking: I'll have to check what my Gladius's switch looks like. Mine's an old one, but I haven't had any issues.

mm4mm

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Byron, it looks like I have the old one.

What were your symptoms? Mine sometimes flickers and needs a re-switch but it didn't happen often, should I ask them to replace it?

byron8

Newly Enlightened
What! Are you saying should they replace it! I paid $175 and don't expect flicker, or intermittant turn on. This is a professional light and they are selling it as a professional light. They want to sell to law enforcement and military. This should be 100% reliable from the beginning! When mine failed, of course I was pissed, as just spent $175 for light. But I immediately thought about the police or military persons that may depend on the light. I felt sorry for them because when they really needed it, it wouldn't turn on. I will give them benefit of the doubt and see how reliable it is in the long run. I have at least 5 SF and none failed like that. I have SF from about 15 years ago and never failed. I use my brinkman every night for maybe 3 years, no failure to turn on for $10 light.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... My Gladius tailcap has the lip similar to the one on your original tailcap as per the picture, but I haven't had any problems with it. It's in the 17k range.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
Did your light work sometimes, then all of a sudden, the light shut off.
The only way to make it work was remove the tail cap and/or whack the tail cap on the palm of your hand..., Hard!!!

It may work, it may not, VERY unreliable!!!

Does that sound familiar or is it just my light?

byron8

Newly Enlightened
waynejitsu said:
Did your light work sometimes, then all of a sudden, the light shut off.
The only way to make it work was remove the tail cap and/or whack the tail cap on the palm of your hand..., Hard!!!

It may work, it may not, VERY unreliable!!!

Does that sound familiar or is it just my light?

Yup, you should get new tailcap. In fact I shook the tailcap and removed it and inserted it many times then banged it on the table. It seemed to work fine after that and haven't had any problems. Someone reviewing this light on Amazon.com had exactly the same problem. Blackhawk new about the defect but refused to recall the light. They are supposed to get back to me and tell me why they never recalled the light when they knew about the problem. Maybe was just a particular lot. My new cap has no problem after switching on the light many times and twisting the switch and removing and inserting the tail cap and banging on table.