KL1 colored LED's

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with the colored LED's in the KL1 heads. I'm thinking about a green or red one in black HA but the ones I've seen on websites say they are only 15 lumens. Flashlight Reviews says the white KL1 is about 25-30 lumens. Could these KL1's be older versions that really are 15 lumens? Has anyone found a good source to buy KL1 heads in black HA? I've looked at Supremeco but I haven't figured out how to order. I also found them offered at Osograndeknives.com. Does anyone have experience ordering from them?:huh2: Does the green or red KL1 seem brighter/dimmer than the white kL1's? Any info or help will be appreciated.

Mike 208

Enlightened
I have a green KL1 (I believe it's a 2nd generation [cooling fins, scalloped bezel]) and a current generation KL1 red; to my aging eyes, the green is brighter than the white and the red is almost as bright as the white. Hope this helps

Mike

BBL

Enlightened
do those colored KL1's come from surefire? They dont have them listet on their homepage.

Mike 208

Enlightened
Yes, they are made by Surefire. On their website, go to "Accessories" and click on "LED Conversion Heads." For the KL3 head, you'll see a "sidebar" where you can choose the finish (black or HA) and LED color (white, red, blue or green). For some reason, they do not list the other colors and finishes for the KL1, but they are available from Surefire.

Mike

Last edited:

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Hey Mike,

Have you actually ordered the colored KL1 heads from Surefire? I didn't think they offered them in this country...only Asia. I think I called Surefire to try to order a black KL4 head but wasn't successful.

Mike 208

Enlightened
Alanagnostic;

No, I've never ordered from Surefire before - just used their customer service (which I found to be great - friendly and [in my case at least] gave a quick turnaround). IIRC, I ordered the colored KL1 heads over a year ago from a place called "KB Cameras." I ordered from them due to a thread posted from another member (I can't remember his/her name) about the great service, etc. Before then, I didn't even know Surefire offered colored LEDs except on their L1 lights. Personally, I would have no problem ordering directly from Surefire (especially if you're concerned about getting a non-Surefire product).

Mike

Aloft

Enlightened
I have a couple of E1E's in red, very nice for using around the telescope at night due to their small size ... and of course their red color. I would say they do seem a bit dimmer than their white counterparts, and that's a good thing. I'm not sure why I would want a red led light to be too bright. In fact, I have an EverLED red in a 2D Mag, and it's quite bright, almost to much so for use around a group of telescope users. It is kind of cool though since it has a UCL lens, and really surprises people when it turns on red. I also have it in a red bodied Mag.

Anyway, I like the E1E's in red. There have been numerous posts about how the human eye PERCEIVES different colors of light, and that may explain why it appears less bright than white, or green (to which I believe the human eye is especially sensitive, hence the extra 'brightness' of green). Hope this helps ...

alanagnostic said:
Does anyone have any experience with the colored LED's in the KL1 heads. I'm thinking about a green or red one in black HA but the ones I've seen on websites say they are only 15 lumens. Flashlight Reviews says the white KL1 is about 25-30 lumens. Could these KL1's be older versions that really are 15 lumens? Has anyone found a good source to buy KL1 heads in black HA? I've looked at Supremeco but I haven't figured out how to order. I also found them offered at Osograndeknives.com. Does anyone have experience ordering from them?:huh2: Does the green or red KL1 seem brighter/dimmer than the white kL1's? Any info or help will be appreciated.

PJ

Enlightened
Here is a link to a store in the U.S. that sells them.

Ira Wood Inc.

I have not dealt with them personally but I believe some other CPF members have and did not have any problems. Try doing a search on their name and see what ratings they get.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
There aren't many colored led products available that throw a good beam. I would dig some colored options for my l1, but haven't bothered yet due to the high prices.

Most colored lights tend to be the 5mm variety, all spill, like infinity, arc, and the microlights.

I have found one or two less expensive options that do what I want: Tight colored beam with no spill.

More options would be nice.