Ti CR2 Ion XT MCR16 reflector implantation

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Hi,

the new CR2 Ion with Cree xre is just out and again I could not sit still but needed to spin one up with my lathe :)
Let's first talk the pics:

ionrefl_1.JPG

ionrefl_2.JPG

ionrefl_3.JPG

ionrefl_4.JPG

ionrefl_5.JPG

So what have I done?
I just put in a MCR16 reflector into the ION :)
First I thought it will be impossible and I will have no result than destroying my Ion head, because there is so few space in the head and nearly no possibility to turn down the already tiny reflector.
But by being very careful and doing more measuring than turning it finally worked out.
I downturned the relector as small as possible and I enlarged the hole in the Ion head just so far the threading stayed intact.
I can tell you there are just some few tenth of a millimeter Material remaining on both sides!
To get the LED into focus I also needed to shorten the head and to get a battery contact I needed to shorten the batterytube as well.
It was a terrible work and every second you are anxious that the material could break and will end all your efforts.
But the result is just wonderful as the Ion is not only a little bit smaller but also a lot brighter than before, by giving a wonderful beam with much more throw.
On the negative side the light is no longer waterproof as there was no space remaining for the o-rings in the head.

I will provide beamshots during the next days and no, I cannot offer this mod to the public ;)

Jochen

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally someone is making full use of the lens-opening area (factory design is too restrictive).

it's about time!!! excellent ArsMachina.

you said: "...and no, I cannot offer this mod to the public..." ah, come on! figure out how to make it waterproof and then start offering this as a mod. :dedhorse:

Last edited:

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew this would get done sooner or later....
Awesome !

Question: You said there was no room for an o-ring, yet the converter sits deeper in the sink, you need to cut down the battery-tube to make battery-contact ? Please explain...

Cheers !

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you ended up cutting everything very thin and I can see being a bit nervous doing this mod. Very nice job!:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your cool CR2-Ion mod!:)

Ken