Fenix Alphabet Soup!!!

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we can all agree that Fenix is a great company that makes great products in a timely manner offering exceptional value. However, I have been sitting here trying to decifer the increasingly confusing nomenclature for all of their lights and must say that it is confusing. Just when you think you have it figured out they come out with a light that blows the theory. Perhaps a more standardized naming system could be developed for the new lights. If it has, I certainly haven't decifered it. Just a thought.

:grin2:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
I guess you haven't bought a car lately. :D

Paul, I was thinking more along the lines of BMWs way of identifying their vehicles. For example a 325. The first digit tells you it is a 3 series and the next two numbers tell you the engine size in this case a 2.5 liter. Logical and intuitive.

:touche:

amanichen

Enlightened
The Fenix model numbers aren't that hard to understand. By observation, it seems to work out like this:

Series: (Prefix)
L = lights powered by AA or AAA
P = lights powered by lithium cells
E = economy lights (so far powered by AA only)

Form factor: (number)
0 = smallest form factor (1xAAA)
1 = medium form factor (1xAA or 1xAAA)
2 = largest form factor (2xAA)

Special features: (suffix)
-P = premium model (higher quality emitter and coatings over non-premium)
-D = digital (microprocessor control)
-S = "stripped down" version of two stage
-T = two stage
-SE = special edition (used originally on the L0P-SE)
-CE = Cree emitter

A quick look at the www.fenixlight.com or www.fenix-store.com will make things fairly obvious by looking at the product descriptions. There's an exception here or there (P1 for instance), but it's not not too soupy.

Burgess

Flashaholic
* Fenix LOP-SE *

Am i the only one who sees this and thinks . . . .

"Flopsie, Mopsie, and Cottontail" ?
smile.gif

And when reading about Maha battery chargers . . . .

Am i the only one who thinks about the 3 Stooges ?
lolsign.gif

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minor typo correction
amanichen said:
The Fenix model numbers aren't that hard to understand. By observation, it seems to work out like this:

Series: (Prefix)
L = lights powered by AA or AAA
P = lights powered by lithium cells
E = economy lights (so far powered by AAA only)

Form factor: (number)
0 = smallest form factor (1xAAA)
1 = medium form factor (1xAA or 1xAAA)
2 = largest form factor (2xAA)

Special features: (suffix)
-P = premium model (higher quality emitter and coatings over non-premium)
-D = digital (microprocessor control)
-S = "stripped down" version of two stage
-T = two stage
-SE = special edition (used originally on the L0P-SE)
-CE = Cree emitter

A quick look at the www.fenixlight.com or www.fenix-store.com will make things fairly obvious by looking at the product descriptions. There's an exception here or there (P1 for instance), but it's not not too soupy.

ValhallaPrime

Newly Enlightened
partipilo said:
Thats funny Engr, I was about to mention Mercedes' numbering system :)

That one is one of the easiest. The letters are the body size and style, and the numbers are the engine displacement. They almost always never deviate from that. Same with BMW, with the exception of the recent 323/325, which was renamed to aviod confusion with the Euro diesel 2.5.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
ValhallaPrime said:
That one is one of the easiest. The letters are the body size and style, and the numbers are the engine displacement. They almost always never deviate from that. Same with BMW, with the exception of the recent 323/325, which was renamed to aviod confusion with the Euro diesel 2.5.
"almost always never"? I think the (single) word you were looking for is "rarely." :laughing:

And now for something on-topic: Some flashlight nomenclatures seem completely loony to me, but that's because I haven't looked into the various models. I'm sure that if I had some interest in Peak lights, I'd quickly figure out which lights went with which names. I'm much more familiar with Streamlight, for example, so if someone mentioned a ProPoly or an UltraStinger, I would know what they meant. Now, "ProPolymer" brings (or should bring, I hope) to mind a polymer light, and "Ultra"Stinger should make you think of a really powerful version of a "Stinger," which itself is, admittedly, pretty random.

I don't think Fenix is too bad. However, I'm certain that, even keeping their current nomenclature, if they had as many models and products as SF (for example) and my interest levels in the two manufacturers were reversed, I would find Fenix to be a holy mess. I generally understand most SF names (6P, U2, etc.) because I've heard a lot about them, but I'm completely lost when it comes the the innumerable LEGO configurations.

I think Mag has got their model names perfect. 2C, 4D, "Mini" Mag... Beautifully simple.