• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired TBSB 18650 x1 Titanium sign-up

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
TBSB 18650 x1 List Closed

$310 each, shipping included

The top photo is for overall length comparison, top tube is the original TBSB 18650 x1, middle tube is the new design, and the bottom, 123a x2 is for reference...the new design TBSB 18650 x1 approximately the same length as a 123a x2 cell tube.

Enjoy the photos,

Last edited:

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scott

I am new to this tube from you.

I have a couple of questions, if I may... (sorry if they seem stupid)

1) Is the only option to use a button (magnet) on top of the cell?

2) What does the SB in TBSB stand for?

3) What was the contact piece
"The contact piece has been eliminated"?

David

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Due to the design of the standard LE, and its built in mechanical reverse polarity protection...a 18650 cell will need a button for contact, or you will all have to pester AW to add a button top to the 18650 cell. IMHO the mechanical reverve polarity protection sould not be defeated...why risk blowing a perfectly good LE."

Yo Scott, does this mean that I will have to put a blob of solder on top of the battery? Will this work?

Karl

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
TB will confirm, but I see 3 possibilities to make this tube work:
1. You make a solder blob on the positive contact or the LE. This will void the mechanical reverse protection that LE have whithou this blob.
2. You make a solder blob on the positive contact or the batterie.
3. You use a magnet

I personnally chose 1, because I believe the reverse polarity protection is a non-issue. Just be carreful when you put the batt in and switch the light on. But that's personnal taste, some to not like the idea of modifying the LE. Or just want this reverse protection. You might not want to be careful about polarity or blew a LE at the worst timing if you are a law enforcement person.

If you use 2, the blob should be done fast, not to overheat the cell. I don't know what the consequences could be... Just like some don't like the idea to alter the LE, I personnally don't like the idea of altering the battery.

If you use 3... I believe there is a very small, but still is a risk that the magnet moves and short the batt. It souds unlikely, especially if the ground path was made internally on the LE... Still I personnally don't like the idea of something in my light that can move, even if it's unlikely.

Last but not least, due to lenght tolerance of the tube, I doubt you can use 1 and 2 at the same time. So choose what you prefer to modify : the LE or the batts.

karlthev said:
Yo Scott, does this mean that I will have to put a blob of solder on top of the battery? Will this work?

Karl

Last edited:

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Scott

I am new to this tube from you.

I have a couple of questions, if I may... (sorry if they seem stupid)

Good questions...

1) Is the only option to use a button (magnet) on top of the cell?

I use a magnet with my cell, but I do not endorse the use of the magnet...A button top 18650 cell would be the answer, but I do not believe button top 18650's are currently available.

2) What does the SB in TBSB stand for?

TB Split Body Design

3) What was the contact piece

The original design used a teflon disk, and a modified brass screw/nut combo to complete the curcuit...This newer version is shorter in overall length/same length as a 123a x2 cell tube, and the bridge piece is no longer necessary.

Thanks,

TB

David[/QUOTE]

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

Negative...I would not apply solder to a battery for any reason.

Everybody has a different idea on how to approach this contact issue with the 18650 cell, and the path the end user chooses is that persons decision, and theirs alone.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe a small magnet would be the best idea if you place a small o-ring around the magnet. The o-ring would help insure that the magnet doesn't move far enough to cause a short.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
quick question:
The O-ring gap where the O-ring sits is about 19mm,
So for an 18650, wall-thickness at this area would be .5mm....
No go for when using Alu, but would'nt Ti be able to handle this
and allow for a 1pc e-series tube for 18650 ?
I might be wrong, please correct me if I am...

Cheers !

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
bombelman said:
quick question:
The O-ring gap where the O-ring sits is about 19mm,
So for an 18650, wall-thickness at this area would be .5mm....
No go for when using Alu, but would'nt Ti be able to handle this
and allow for a 1pc e-series tube for 18650 ?
I might be wrong, please correct me if I am...

Cheers !

Excellent question...

Even with Ti, that area is too thin for a one piece design...This new design Ti adapter is standard wall thickness, in the area of the o-ring seat, or .037" thick wall.

TB

Last edited:

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought....

The copper "button" that Luxbright includes in his "Ion Kit" may very well work for this 18650 body.

I`ve had good results in that regard when my "flat-top" 18650`s need a button to make contact. Just put Luxbright`s button on top of the positive contact of the 18650, screw the battery tube closed, and you`ve got light!

:)

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
if this copper button at the top would shift, would that not short the battery, given it sits at the postive end of the cell ?

Last edited: